Is Oral Minoxidil Effective?

• Administrators

• Like 4

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Great topic and nice video. Melvin, is that godly beard going to be shaved after COVID lockdowns are over?

• Haha 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

Great topic and nice video. Melvin, is that godly beard going to be shaved after COVID lockdowns are over?

Idk haha my fiancé likes it a lot. I may just trim it down once the lockdowns done ha.

• Haha 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

1 hour ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Idk haha my fiancé likes it a lot. I may just trim it down once the lockdowns done ha.

Congrats on your engagement!

• Thanks 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

Congrats on your engagement!

Thanks man, was gonna get an HT for the crown, but not looking likely now 😅

View my thread

Great topic, Melvin.

I live in Melbourne, and I see the dermatologist who started prescribing it (Dr. Konior mentions it in the video) - I think I'm on 2mg, along with 1mg of finasteride, their pharmacy does it all in one compound tablet/pill. 

Hard to say how well it works, as I didn't ever take topical - but it's an interesting concept.

• Moderators

Be careful with oral minoxidil. It can cause some heart problems. I'd be worried about how the long term use affects the heart.

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

Melvin, is that godly beard going to be shaved after COVID lockdowns are over?

I think he's auditioning for the next Hercules movie.

2105128252_ScreenShot2021-01-28at6_00_00AM.thumb.jpg.58b2e833ca74d666bbbcbee50b1b7c96.jpg

• Haha 4

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Melvin what would you say would be the oral dosage to get the recommend 2x 5% topical equivalent? 

Pre and post transplant I think oral minoxidil is a good option for minoxidil users, at least until the transplanted area heals a bit immediately post op (+2/3 weeks).

Would 2.5mg daily be reasonable? Maybe 1.25mg every day?

1 hour ago, asterix0 said:

Melvin what would you say would be the oral dosage to get the recommend 2x 5% topical equivalent? 

Pre and post transplant I think oral minoxidil is a good option for minoxidil users, at least until the transplanted area heals a bit immediately post op (+2/3 weeks).

Personally, I have started at 1.25mg daily while still applying the topical 1x per day.  

This may be bro-science, but quitting the topical cold turkey felt like it might result in a shed. Or, perhaps create a window in which the follicles are deprived of minoxidil.  

Over the next 1-2 weeks, my goal is to slowly build up to 2.5mg per day (seems like the sweet spot) while assessing tolerance/efficacy/sides. And hopefully eradicating the commitment to topical completely.

Edited by Harry Bosch

• Administrators
6 hours ago, HelpfulFriend said:

Great topic, Melvin.

I live in Melbourne, and I see the dermatologist who started prescribing it (Dr. Konior mentions it in the video) - I think I'm on 2mg, along with 1mg of finasteride, their pharmacy does it all in one compound tablet/pill. 

Hard to say how well it works, as I didn't ever take topical - but it's an interesting concept.

Oh yes, Dr. Sinclair right? Well, my goal is to track it closely. Even thinking of buying one of those densometers. Anything that will track it properly. 

View my thread

• Administrators
2 hours ago, asterix0 said:

Based on the studies I’ve read, 1 mg of oral is still almost twice as effective as 5% topical. 

View my thread

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, Westview said:

How many grafts do you think you have in your beard, Melvin??

Good question, Dr. Sethi said at least 1,500. I don’t think I’d want to remove that many beatd grafts though. Maybe like 800, beard hair is thick, so it would be good for filler hair, to make it look denser. 

View my thread

28 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Good question, Dr. Sethi said at least 1,500. I don’t think I’d want to remove that many beatd grafts though. Maybe like 800, beard hair is thick, so it would be good for filler hair, to make it look denser. 

Thats what I'm aiming for.  Use 1,500 beard grafts plus my last 1,000 scalp grafts and that should mostly fill up my 80cm2 crown.

Doctor said he might be able to squeeze 500 more scalp grafts and 1,000 beard grafts if need be, or keep them in the bank for an emergency situation

• Administrators
27 minutes ago, Westview said:

Thats what I'm aiming for.  Use 1,500 beard grafts plus my last 1,000 scalp grafts and that should mostly fill up my 80cm2 crown.

Doctor said he might be able to squeeze 500 more scalp grafts and 1,000 beard grafts if need be, or keep them in the bank for an emergency situation

Who are you gonna go too?

View my thread

8 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Who are you gonna go too?

I dont know yet.

I thought about Dr. Umar, but he's expensive and can only do 1,500 grafts a day.

Eugenix I really like but they are so far away, plus they have a 1-year waiting list.

Epstein might be a better option.

I also heard Dr. Jones in Toronto does good beard hair work

• Administrators
35 minutes ago, Westview said:

I dont know yet.

I thought about Dr. Umar, but he's expensive and can only do 1,500 grafts a day.

Eugenix I really like but they are so far away, plus they have a 1-year waiting list.

Epstein might be a better option.

I also heard Dr. Jones in Toronto does good beard hair work

A one year waiting list, I don't think that's true. Let me tag @Abhinay Singh to confirm that, otherwise I'm in deep trouble lol.

View my thread

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Westview said:

Dr Umar does 2 and 3 day sessions for bigger cases.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

1 hour ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

A one year waiting list, I don't think that's true. Let me tag @Abhinay Singh to confirm that, otherwise I'm in deep trouble lol.

When I talked to Dr. Arika on July 2nd of 2020 she said 1 year.  I still have her whatsapp message on my cellphone.

But thats obviously because of Covid . Maybe its shorter now that everyone is getting vaccinated

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Westview said:

When I talked to Dr. Arika on July 2nd of 2020 she said 1 year.  I still have her whatsapp message on my cellphone.

But thats obviously because of Covid . Maybe its shorter now that everyone is getting vaccinated

I think that’s definitely changed now, due to covid. 

View my thread

15 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I think that’s definitely changed now, due to covid. 

When you find out how long the waiting list is could you please private message me and let me know.

Or post in this thread.  TIA.

This is kinda the result that I'm looking for on my crown.  It doesnt have to be super dense, I'd be happy with this result:

(bottom right pic)

severe-baldness-23123.jpg

Edited by Westview
  • Like 1