shaving your head. Trying to disguise the fact!.

Sunnycoastman

So many guys are shaving their heads these days. As you get closer you see almost all of them are going bald to some degree. probably 99% of them.

Seems to me its just trying to disguise the obvious...youre balding...you have this horseshoe or m shape or other, you dont like it....youll jump at another option...so shave it off and be part of a popular new fashion created by baldies that have no other option...appear balding or shave it off and attempt to mask it under the cloak of " being part of a new fashion".

And because so many are doing it, mostly middle aged baldies with issues about their hair I guess, more are encouraged to take part in the new fashion image. no-ones fooled of course. sure some women would chime in and say its sexy and they like it and tout willis etc and whoever, but most of us arnt willis are we. I would say most women, like 80% or so wouldnt think its desirable I wouldnt think...

anyway seems like a hassle to me as well, having to shave your dome every few days...

Thats true HMO. And I guess many just dont see it as a high priority, but why not just go bald naturally without trying to make it seem like you just decided to go with a new "fashion" that really is a kind of cover up tactic for MBP. I know an HT is expensive but when you see youre going to need it you can save up ahead of time and there are good doctors like mohmand that do a good job at a 1/4 the cost of the most popular docs. It would be interesting to do a survey of women and see what they prefer superficially speaking....the new bald look or a head of hair.....Of course such a survey might prove me wrong...:-)

It does look better to shave it all off than just have a load of hair round your sides, it looks more uniform.

I know a few people who couldnt care less that they are bald, but shave it off because it looks better and its less hassle to not have hair.

You cant exactly style your hair if your bald so why not forego all of that and shave it off?

So lets get this straight. It sounds to me like you are making fun of balding guys for shaving thier heads to hide the fact that they are going bald right? Well, what does it say for you that you had a HT to try to hide the fact that you are going bald? This thread makes no sense at all and you contradict yourself by making fun of people for trying to hide something. Are you really hearing what you are saying here?

Im definitely not making fun of anybody. I have no problem with guys shaving their heads. I even briefly thought about it myself but it wouldnt look good on me I dont think. My comment was really about how everybody seems to be doing it becz now they feel like they can hide their baldness along with a whole bunch of guys and not look out of place. A few years ago hardly any one did it...why not?Its an observation about how society changes and influences us, especially in fashion, about how everybody no matter their age or sex or status cares more about their hair/appearance and will do what they can to try and improve it including joining the "shave down" group and shaving down even if it dosnt suit them,and most Ive seen it dosnt, to try and hide what they dont like. Maybe they dont consider a HT becz of the embarrassment, the stigma thats associated with it, like you must be so vain to have it done, the cost too,but probably the embarrassment i would think. I think shaving down suits very few becz of head shape but that dosnt seem to stop anyone. Anyway, I was just making the comment becz every second guy is shaved down now and Im scared ill look weird being the only one left with hair...:-)

I don't think men necessarily shave their heads to hide balding, as in make people think that they aren't going bald. It's probably more often the case that they think it looks better. As more and more men are doing it, it becomes easier to do.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

I do agree with Sunny in that most women prefer a man with a full head of hair, since I have been balding and shaving down to disguise it many females have said that they preferred my hair longer (also I have a head shape where shaving down looks ok). I would agree that the vast majority of men shaving their heads are balding to some degree, and I agree with Sparky in that it looks better in most cases. Unfortunately I think shaving right down for Caucasian males is not that great a look, because of things like shine, though Patrick Stewart pulls it off well.

Now this is me.I have been shaving my head daily for the last two years.When I first did it I was told by a Lady friend of mine,that its taken ten years off me,that gave me quite a lift,at the time.

I'd spent the last 18 months before I did it very concerned about my hairloss,also for quite a while after to.

It really grows on you (No pun intended).The only thing I really hate now is the balding shadow what appears.I have reseached hair transplants,but I now realize I'm doing the best option in my eyes.Hair transplants seem a bit to risky and you may always be chasing hair,maybe.

I would still prefer hair,but I've learned to live without it,but I really still hate the fact that I'm balding.

Hair Multiplication would be the ideal thing,but I have come to realize it might not happen,to many failures.

I've got the right shape head,but it also gives that hardman look,which I would prefer not to have.

Over all I think I look alright,no more bad hair days,haha!

I look at this entirely differently.

In my opinion, most who shave their head aren't trying to disguise their hair loss. They're embracing it.

Personally, I wish I looked good with a shaved head because I probably would have done the same thing. But since my dome looks a lot better covered with hair, I had 4 hair transplant procedures to restore as much has as possible.

All the Best,

Bill

thank dana white....

honestly i will wind up shaving it down (as i used to...) that being said, i would still most likely buzz it to a 1 and pull the jason statham look, who many many girls i know (even 19 year olds) think is "incredibly hot" .... there's hope out there brothers!

my reg is:

propecia 1mg EVERYDAY

minox 5% twice daily (f the foam)

nizoral 1%

say la V old buddies .... i'm tryin to keep you

Bill I love your honesty man!

Hey Baldie 42 have you ever thought about getting fue with the likes of Feller or SMG? It would avoid a lot of the associated risks. I too have a good head for the shaved look but hate the balding shadow and have been thinking lately about using fue to establish a hairline and give the appearance that I am not suffering from hair loss; it would allow one to shave their head without the stigma of baldness associated to them.

What do you think?

Cheers

I have been buzzing my hair as well for the last few years. Men do it for different reasons but I would have to agree many men buzz their head down because it can look less obvious that they are balding.....it looks less pronounced.......but that would depend on your degree of hair loss.

Some people still believe that shaving your head down will make your hair stronger and thicker, so I think some guys like to try this and see if it works. It doesn't!

I was told by a transplant Doctor that shaving your head down can accelerate your hair loss because it causes traction alopecia. Basically pushing your cutter machine on your scalp in different directions can pull and stress the hairs.

Does any other doctor agree with this statement?

Mark

Baldie42 you have a really good attitude. The battle is coming to terms with balding, and it looks like you have even tho you dont like the fact. We all dont like the fact Im sure.

i disagree with Bill when he says hair loss sufferers are embracing it. I dont think they are. shaving right down is one choice of the only two choices they have...look balding or be totally bald so you dont look balding...neither is ideal or what you want but you can only work with the choices you have, the money you have, the risks you want to take, and the passion you have to change it.

how many balding men would shave down to zero if they had a nice full head of hair...About 1 in 100 maybe and probably only to look tougher, make a statement, or perhaps their head actually suits it, or they just like the look. B42 also makes a good point about the hardman look. I think hair, albeit short or lack of, softens your face, so i think a number 2 or 3 for bald men looks better and dosnt make you look like your trying to disguise that youre balding.

I also think if youre greying that if you dye your hair darker youll actually look younger with a short cut than totally bald...just my opinion of course. And if you dress smartly, and are trim and fit, that will be a big boost for confidence.

I am interested in the psychology of all this. seems that its acceptable for men to now partake of improvement surgery like women have been for a long time. Cosmetic surgery including Hts is a booming business..its huge now... and seemingly getting cheaper as we earn more. Is it the influence of society that makes us want to look better, to try and look younger than we are, is it that divorce rates are so high that we want to look good to get a new "more attractive" partner....

Hair loss sure hurts our egos. Hurts our confidence with women. makes us feel less desirable, its an identity thing, how we see ourselves and how we think that others see us. especially after having hair then losing it. Sucks big time...I was a Nz bodybuilding champ when long hair was in...look at me now....Ok, so we feel that way becz we know most women would prefer us with a head of hair.

If all men were bald at 25 we wouldnt care would we. sure our gals will love us still if we are going bald but they would prefer we had hair I bet, just like we wouldnt want them shaving down if their hair was getting thin. I asked my gf if she would mind if i shaved it off. she said she would prefer not...just go bald naturally was her words..so i had a HT.:-)shes supportive...if it makes me happy shes with me...awesome.

So this explosion of shaved heads around the place is interesting..I still think its a way of trying to cover up the balding "look" with another "look" that is trying to be a "fashion" but its only balding guys who seem to be part of this new "fashion". I understand it, I thought about doing it myself but Im a soft person and the harder look is just not me even if my head shape was right. when you have a Ht youre not really trying to be part of a fashion that trys to look like its a choice, youre wanting to slow the balding process down so its gradual and it looks appropriate for your age whatever that is....anyway cheers and to all those shaved guys no offense meant. Bottom line is if your happy with your head thats whats important...

Sunny

hey sunny,

great thread u started. But Bill is right, those who shave have embraced their hair loss and hey if i can pull off a beckham look, hell i wun be even surfing in this community in the 1st place. so its really dependent on the individual's looks and his mindset on hair loss

i personally think i will look like a monk if i shave it all ha ha ha

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

Let me add my 2 cents. Due to a family medical condition I have been shaving my head since June. Every 5 days. When I first did it, I had to go to the airport the next day and get on a flight. The security guy looked at my license(with hair) and me a bunch of times, and I felt self conscious that people were looking at my bald head. I posted on this site that I can certainly relate to what alot of guys are going through with "thinking" that folks are looking at them for being bald.

Now, I have been doing this since June and I am probably the only hair transplant doc in the world who has a decent head of hair AND shaves it off. But it hasn't hurt business... And you know what, I definitely prefer me with no hair and if my family lets me, I'll keep on shaving it. But that is one person's opinion. My wife and kids think I look better WITH hair.

I can say that of female friends and acquaintances of mine and my wife's, its evenly split of those who think the bald head is better than the head with hair.

So, in my detailed study with an "n" of one, the conclusion is that having hair is an individual decision. Some people clearly look better with hair, and lots of folks with hair could have a better hairstyle. And some folks look better with short or no hair. But after having been bald for 6 months, I can say with certainty, that I don't think that many people notice it as being worth a second glance...when I go to the store or movies etc.

Its like at the office I used to work at where my associate did breast implants. Many patients were quite attractive without any implants yet chose to proceed for a variety of reasons including THEIR OWN PERCEPTION of themselves. We had a beautiful receptionist, who, in my opinion, had gone overboard with her procedure. I thought she looked better as B cup but she wanted DD. But she was happy and that was what was important.

As to hair, I strongly believe that if someone wants hair, that we have the technology to give a natural result and if they are doing it for themselves, by all means, they should proceed. But whether hair, or facelifting, or breast implants; patients should do or not do the procedure because of their own desires, not a perception that society expects a certain appearance.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Julius:

Bill I love your honesty man!

Hey Baldie 42 have you ever thought about getting fue with the likes of Feller or SMG? It would avoid a lot of the associated risks. I too have a good head for the shaved look but hate the balding shadow and have been thinking lately about using fue to establish a hairline and give the appearance that I am not suffering from hair loss; it would allow one to shave their head without the stigma of baldness associated to them.

What do you think?

Cheers

Hi..Yes I have considered this option.I have actually got hair on top,just not got any on NW zone 1,and not much on NW zone 2.

The big problem is I work for myself,business would collapse if I took more than a week off.I also work in a male dominated environment,if I'm honest I'm not sure I'd take the stick about being to vain.I do not know if I'm the only one who thinks like that.I'm in the UK.Hair Transplants are not a every day thing.

The other option I like would be to have all my hair folicles removed by lazer,which may seem extreme,but I looked into this and thats not a straight forward option either.

Oh well I'll have to stay how I am for now at least.It gets easier as we get older,no one says anything about baldness to you once you turn fourty.Merry Christmas to everyone anyway!!!

Originally posted by Severn:

It depends on the individual. I'm sure there are guys who've had a bad transplant that would give every penny they have to be able to shave their head. But once you start down the HT path, the shaving option is gone forever.

Wouldn't you be able to shave down with FUE - Please advise.Interestingly I'd like to know answer.Anyone know?

Thanks in advance

Well, I am one of those guys who many people have told looks good with a very short (#2) shaved head. I guess you could say that I somewhat have the Jason Statham look, but I am still a NW3 so not nearly as bald as him. But YES, the only reason I keep it so short is because when it gets longer than 2 inches i think I look like a circus clown. That's just my image of myself, and it's not very flattering.

But even though I think I look "decent" with a shaved down head, I am still not happy at all with my appearance like this. Why ? Because I know that with a solid NW2 head of hair that I look spectacular -- GQ model level as I remember well from the days of yore when so many hotties were chasing me!! I think those (like Statham) that still look sexy with a shaved head are also those guys with the features to look like a greek God WITH hair!

But yeah, I have seen the trend of shaved head clones who are desperately trying to stay hip and young looking by "hiding" the fact they are balding. I don't think any of them are embracing their baldness either, I just think that they don't have any other choice. If they really were embracing their baldness then they would not bother desperately shaving down every 1-2 days to try and hide the dreaded "clown horseshoe fringe" of hair. Embracing baldness means leaving the fringe and not caring what anyone thinks, which is almost impossible to find nowadays with guys under 50. And even the guys over 50 are shaving down to bald skin as well, trying to look hip and cool. It seems that the horseshoe fringe is probably the most unpopular and dreaded fashion look in the history of the human race!

Well nobody wants to go bald but 50% of the male population eventually will. Regardless of what you think shaving down to the skin looks like I think we can all agree that at a certain point at least a short clip is a better look than longer hair. The biggest thing with a shaved head is no longer having to worry about your bald hair looking stupid

Originally posted by Judge Holden:

Well nobody wants to go bald but 50% of the male population eventually will. Regardless of what you think shaving down to the skin looks like I think we can all agree that at a certain point at least a short clip is a better look than longer hair. The biggest thing with a shaved head is no longer having to worry about your bald hair looking stupid

Spot on Judge.Its annoying really to have to shave my hair every day or two.Yes I'd look better with hair,but by shaving it down I do not have to avoid catching a glimpse of myself in say a shop window with my hairline half way up my head,then getting p*ssed off and miserable for the rest of the day - I remember this well!