We've all heard of 'hair greed' - first attaining more hair via HT.... and then wanting more, more, more... Well, 'greed is good', at least according to Wall Street's Gordon Gecko...

But what about hair ENVY. That feeling when you're out with your buddies, and they all have those thick, sturdy hair shafts - so thick they could serve as puppet strings... not to mention the Norwood -10 hairline of a 4 year old.

That envy certainly has been real for me, made even harder to keep in check when friends start making jokes about thinning hair 🙄

But seriously, how do you guys feel about that? Know the feeling? Annoying? infuriating? Or simply able to just put it down to the hand you were dealt..?

I'd guess Putin knows what I'm talking about...and maybe that's why we've probably seen the last of Alexei Navalny with his hair of iron and balls of steel... 

alexai.jpg

hair envy is no different than anything else in life you were born into. Perhaps you are 6'2" and will never know the struggles of being a short man. Perhaps you were born with a trust fund and will never know what it's like to deal with the stress of debt, loans, mortgage. Etc. Etc. Etc. 

I'm also not sure why you chose the above example. Sure, the guy has more hair than Putin. But Nalvany is clearly a NW2 at minimum. Definitely does not have enviable hair. 

Edited by DenverBuff1989
  • Like 1

Yes it sucks, everyone at some point experiences envy one way or another. But the pity party is useless. I have a friend who's somewhere around 5'2, but has a full head of hair.. He'd trade every last follicle on his head for a few more inches in height. If you have health, then do something with it.. workout, play sports, do creative things in your career and so on. As for your hair, figure out where you are right now, figure out if any prevention works for you, and figure out how far a good hair transplant could get you, and how you're going to get to it. After you've done that, you've done something for yourself in attempt to solve a problem that the majority of men will experience in their lives anyway. We live in interesting times where we could do something about it and that is a privilege if you ask the men who suffered with this shit before us (only some 20 years ago). 

Stay positive

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Enhancer said:

Can you imagine going bald in the 70s/80s... Couldn't shave your head, hair transplants looked bad. Our meds might be unreliable, but imagine having absolutely no meds at all.

yea for real. its strange how popular a combover and other horribly receding hairstyles were. Maybe wigs were more popular back then too. These days, with so many options available, society basically forces guys to have a full head of hair or be slick bald. Its a huge no no to have a combover or grossly receded temples, etc. 

Edited by DenverBuff1989

Some good comments posted on here. Envy is always relative, and in our cases because having good hair is of primary concern , hair envy is going to be a natural consequence of this - but it by no way whatsoever determines those with good hair to be perfectly complete. Like what was previously mentioned - height is an extremely overlooked enviable attribute that literally cannot be physically changed. 

I also agree that you’ve oddly chosen a pretty weak example of hair envy, I mean the guy is in pretty good condition for a man of his age, however the below is what I would quantify as an individual who is amplifies my ‘hair envy’ emotion 😂

B7BF7DE6-C531-47B6-AF70-73B29F543DB8.jpeg

Edited by Curious25

16 hours ago, DenverBuff1989 said:

not sure why you chose the above example

Haha, perhaps an odd choice...mostly chose him as it's an interesting story in it's own right that is blowing up right now. The more folks that know about it may help his case somewhat..who knows. Important to spread the story imo. 

But politics aside, definitely some good points been made. Height... i'm fairly lucky to not have to worry about that, and yeah it must be tough if you're vertically challenged AND suffer from hairloss.... maybe that's what gives people like Joe Rogan some of his drive?Â đŸ€·â€â™‚ïž

And yeah, 30 years ago was very different....who knows what happens in the next 30 years. Bring on the hair cloning.

Unfortunately for me it was a case of angry not envy.

I always thought people were looking, judging and laughing at me. If they were bald, I thought they were seeing my hair loss. If they had good hair, I thought they were laughing.

I wasn't a nice drunk for quite a few years because of that state of mind... plus I was only 20 so wasn't yet able to get off the booze train once that first beer flowed.

It was a very tough few years but luckily the meds, a HT and maturity helped me settle down.

• Like 1

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Not the right frame of mind, but still I can understand it.

The phrase 'Are you suffering from hairloss..?' - often heard on TV commercials is an accurate one... it really is a form of suffering for a lot of guys, perhaps more so in the younger years..

How would you rebuke comments and quips from the 'hilarious jokers' out there? Laugh it off? Challenge them? Pretend to ignore?

1 hour ago, TommyLucchese said:

Unfortunately for me it was a case of angry not envy.

I always thought people were looking, judging and laughing at me. If they were bald, I thought they were seeing my hair loss. If they had good hair, I thought they were laughing.

I wasn't a nice drunk for quite a few years because of that state of mind... plus I was only 20 so wasn't yet able to get off the booze train once that first beer flowed.

It was a very tough few years but luckily the meds, a HT and maturity helped me settle down.

Edited by follically challenged

19 hours ago, BaldingtimetoLdar said:

Really annoys me when people have a great head of hair but don't even style it. What a waste!

what really gets me are old Skid Row-types who have absolutely stunning NW0 hair. It seems destitution and heroin is great for your hair (jk I kid)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DenverBuff1989 said:

what really gets me are old Skid Row-types who have absolutely stunning NW0 hair. It seems destitution and heroin is great for your hair (jk I kid)

Yup. Kinda makes you question the whole 'eat healthy and look after your body' concept, right 😅 

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 1/17/2021 at 8:39 PM, Enhancer said:

Can you imagine going bald in the 70s/80s... Couldn't shave your head, hair transplants looked bad. Our meds might be unreliable, but imagine having absolutely no meds at all.

Some of us don't have to imagine it 😒

Back in the 80's the only men who shaved their heads were neo nazi skinheads if they were younger. If you were older and shaved your head then you were seen as a rapist, pedophile, or convict. Shaved head bald guys just weren't going to be getting dates from any good looking normal women. You either had to have the combover, horseshoe fringe hair, or a hair piece.

Edited by BeHappy
  • Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Moderators

Hair envy... I guess it depends on how I look at it. For me I think it was only partially hair envy. Mostly it was age envy. I was never trying to look like anyone else or have anyone elses hair. I wanted the hair I had. I lost my hair very quickly and very young. I never wore a hat to cover my hair loss (until I started having transplants, but that was to cover the surgeries), but I played baseball, so in my late teens and early 20s when I wore a baseball hat I looked like I was a 15 year old kid, but when I took my hat off I was suddenly a 45 year old bald man.

In high school all my friends knew me for years growing up, so when I was losing my hair they thought something was wrong and asked what disease I had, was it contageous, did I have cancer, etc. They knew I was only a teenager. But once I graduated high school and went to work in another city almost an hour away nobody there knew me so they didn't think anything was wrong. They just thought I was much older than I was, so I basically went from 18 to 45 over the summer in peoples eyes.

So my age is what I had a problem with. I was envious of guys who were 20 something and dating hot, young women. I wanted to be able to live my 20's and date those hot 18 to 25 year old college women, but the only women interested in me were the 40+ year olds who were at least twice my age, divorced, with several kids. When I did get a date with a women my age I was told I was robbing the cradle. One day we all had to wear a baseball cap for a promotion the company had going on and you wouldn't believe how many people told me I looked like I was a young kid, so I knew all I needed to do to be a good looking 20 year old (my actual age) was to have a lot of hair.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Moderators
On 1/25/2021 at 10:09 AM, follically challenged said:

And how did it go...? How many surgeries did you have and how successful were they? Any pics to share would be great!

A lifetime nightmare. More surgeries than anyone can imagine. Todays hair transplant patients are so lucky they aren't having a hair transplant in the 80's dark ages of hair transplants. The entire industry was so shady back then. They could lie all they want and there was no place to get real information. They all told the same lies, so it was believable and lawsuits got nowhere because in those days you were considered on your own with a hair transplant.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

30 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

A lifetime nightmare.

Ah, so sorry to hear this. TBH. although the industry has improved in terms of technical ability, I feel there are some extremely shady practices still out there. Perhaps less so today as we have the internet, and can, and SHOULD, shame any practices with questionable ethics. I've heard of some surgeons that insist you sign documents forbidding you to speak critically of their work should you not like it...đŸ˜¶

But do you feel you are in a better place now in terms of mental health and results? Did things improve at all? I'd also be interested to see any pics if possible, but no problem if not

• Administrators

Great topic, 

I never had hair envy. I had hair pity. It’s a sad situation to start going bald at a young age. I remember seeing friends I hadn’t seen in a few years, they always had a look of pity. Like “wow poor guys bald now.” I guess I didn’t want to be a pity case, which is why I decided to get an HT in the first place. Redo natures error haha.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey: 

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.