Is fin required after a hair transplant?

Hey everyone, I've researched this to death but want to make sure I have this correct.

From what I've found, you do not lose transplanted hair. But people still take fin, why? Is it so they don't lose the remaining hair they have left?  Is there any way to tell when the balding phase stops? (If it ever does) Are those who do not take fin the ones that have multiple hair transplants to fix this issue down the line?

Little bit about me just in case anyone's curious. I'm not sure if I'm diffuse thinning or balding. Norwood 2 on hairline and between 3 and 4 for crown. I'm considering going to Turkey to get a hair transplant, willing to spend 5k-10k. But I absolutely do not want to get on fin. I do not want to risk it. I think I'll just wait till I'm 30+ (right now 28) to do a hair transplant to see what's left.

• Administrators

Is fin required? No, is it preferred? Yes. Kind of a long video on my experience but I touch on why

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

37 minutes ago, norwoodreaper said:

I'm considering going to Turkey to get a hair transplant, willing to spend 5k-10k. But I absolutely do not want to get on fin. I do not want to risk it. I think I'll just wait till I'm 30+ (right now 28) to do a hair transplant to see what's left.

Hope you do your research on both though.. 

Thanks for the video, will watch later!

15 minutes ago, UnbaldEagle said:

Hope you do your research on both though.. 

I dont know if it's just people who had sides post online or what but it seems much more than the % reported. Judging by your name, im guessing youre on it? As for turkey. Hair of istanbul is what i will prob go with.

16 minutes ago, norwoodreaper said:

I dont know if it's just people who had sides post online or what but it seems much more than the % reported. Judging by your name, im guessing youre on it? As for turkey. Hair of istanbul is what i will prob go with.

Please keep researching the clinics! Hair of Istanbul is not a top clinic. Infact there is a very poor recent result. 
Im not a person who would say avoid Turkey. But I would urge you to look at other Clincs/Drs. I could suggest some better choices. If your open to Europe then you have a even better list of possibles ! 

Edited by JohnAC71
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, norwoodreaper said:

No, I agree, it's probably more than the % reported. But why not try it first and see if you're one of those? It's not the best idea to have a HT without preventive measures, unless of course you have a good plan for the future, such as knowing where you're headed in the Norwood cemetery and whether you have a good quality donor or not. Also knowing you're going to a good clinic, etc. And Hair of Instanbul is not one of those. 😕 Just search this forum for a few horror stories. Please don't be deceived by their fake instagram. 

• Like 1

Just for example, some names I do consider doing good work in Turkey are:

Dr Pekiner, HLC and Dr Bicer. 

Or if you open up the search to Europe then you could consider:

Dr Bisanga @Raphael84, Vertex clinic @DrTBarghouthi or HDC @Doron Harati

Those are just some suggestions, you can research plenty of others:

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/hair-transplant-surgeons.asp?sr=HRN-MOB

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

Please keep researching the clinics! Hair of Istanbul is not top clinic. Infact there is a very poor recent result. 
Im not a person which would say avoid Turkey. But I would urge you to look at other Clincs/Drs. I could suggest some better choices. If your open to Europe then you have a even better list of possibles ! 

I was judging off my friends experience but now you got me thinking. Im open to suggestions. I did look at HLC too. Any idea on pricing? Id think europe is more expensive.

3 minutes ago, UnbaldEagle said:

No, I agree, it's probably more than the % reported. But why not try it first and see if you're one of those? It's not the best idea to have a HT without preventive measures, unless of course you have a good plan for the future, such as knowing where you're headed in the Norwood cemetery and whether you have a good quality donor or not. Also knowing you're going to a good clinic, etc. And Hair of Instanbul is not one of those. 😕 Just search this forum for a few horror stories. Please don't be deceived by their fake instagram. 

Honestly, im scared of the sides. And it potentially chemically castrating me sides are permanent. I know thats a smaller percent but still. Is there anyway to get blood tests to determine how your body will react to fin?

1 hour ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Is fin required? No, is it preferred? Yes. Kind of a long video on my experience but I touch on why

It's a pity you had sides with fina. People with similar hair loss pattern as you are usually the best responders to meds. Have you thought about trying topical fin or duta?

Chances of having side effects on oral finasteride are 5%. If you don't want to risk it, just use a combo of topical finasteride/minoxidil. I use Morr F and have had 2 FUTs and it works well for me. You won't get side effects on the topical solution. The reason you see more people complaining about finasteride is that people report negative side effects and for people who don't have any side effects, they usually don't post about it. 

• Like 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

• Administrators
17 hours ago, JohnBob said:

It's a pity you had sides with fina. People with similar hair loss pattern as you are usually the best responders to meds. Have you thought about trying topical fin or duta?

Nah, most of my hair is transplanted, it’s not worth the risk. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

6 hours ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

Chances of having side effects on oral finasteride are 5%. If you don't want to risk it, just use a combo of topical finasteride/minoxidil. I use Morr F and have had 2 FUTs and it works well for me. You won't get side effects on the topical solution. The reason you see more people complaining about finasteride is that people report negative side effects and for people who don't have any side effects, they usually don't post about it. 

Like many others, I have a Proscar Rx. For years I used to split into 4 pieces and take 1.25mg per day. But I was getting sides. Lower sex drive, difficulty with erections and even with the blue pill I still had difficulty "finishing" during intercourse. Right now, I'm taking 1.25mg twice per week. Sides have subsided some but I think I'm one of those people that shouldn't be taking it.

I've ordered a 6-month supply of a topical fin/min combo, Maxogen-X. Looks like they are sold out at the moment but this is the product HLC recommended. I'm already using Rogaine foam so I'll be able to replace that with Maxogen. 

13 hours ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

Topical doesn't have sides? Why aren't more people using this then?

8 hours ago, norwoodreaper said:

Topical doesn't have sides? Why aren't more people using this then?

It's becoming more popular. But that's just based on my own observation.

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

2 hours ago, JohnBob said:

I read in a thread here that there are some docs (eg. Couto) that will only operate you if you promise them you will use finasteride for the rest of your life. 

That makes sense and is ethical if we're talking about borderline candidates for hair transplants with aggressive hair loss patterns and less than optimal donor reserves.

• 3 months later...

I'm back. I'm planning to go to a hair consultation by the end of the week or next week. I've decided to just stick to the US, more specifically in the city I live for a HT. I don't feel like traveling overseas for a hair transplant and besides I imagine I'll have to do this again.

I found a couple places near me, one I'm looking at specifically. I don't see any clinics mentioned here for the city I live in (Kansas City). So I might be taking a gamble, iunno. My hair has gotten progressively thinner though, my hairline isn't receding too bad but when you look the top of my hair under lighting... you can see the majority of my scalp. My crown already has a noticeable bald spot. Idk what norwood scale I am, maybe 3 but idk with all the thinning? I took a video in sunlight might post here if people want to see. What would be the proper section to ask about clinics in KC?