Finasteride Side Effects - Insomnia?

I've been on Fin for just over 2 months now, with no issues, but the last 5-6 days my sleep has started to become quite bad, with insomnia, struggling to get to sleep, and waking up in the night etc. I'm wondering if this is down to Fin, I haven't really changed habits or anything else in the last 2 months.

4 hours ago, theshape1122 said:

I've been on Fin for just over 2 months now, with no issues, but the last 5-6 days my sleep has started to become quite bad

4 hours ago, theshape1122 said:

I haven't really changed habits or anything else in the last 2 months

Including taking finasteride the previous 7 weeks when you weren't having the issue.

All kinds of things can cause insomnia

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/insomnia/symptoms-causes/syc-20355167

• Administrators

I’m not sure finasteride is the cause for insomnia. I get insomnia from time to time and don’t take fin. Correlation doesn’t equal causation. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
36 minutes ago, theshape1122 said:

That's true! hopefully it resolves itself soon

Try benadryl, it helps me.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Potentially could be linked to a shift in your body’s balancing act of its hormones - 2 months in, and your body will be starting to adapt and adjust now to the manipulation of preventing the conversion of T to DHT. 

I think low testosterone is a recognised cause of insomnia, however T levels usually spike initially from starting on finasteride - have you ruled out all other possibilities or recent lifestyle changes? Are you stressed any more than usual, or having difficulty in any relationships? 

Edited by Curious25
Spelling

3 hours ago, theshape1122 said:

Thanks guys, im going to try cut all ceffeine drinks out for a few days and see if that helps, i do tend to drink quite alot of Pepsi Max... usually not an issue but will see if it helps!

I used to drink a lot of Pepsi max and it really did help my sleeping pattern after I gave it up! 

32 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

Potentially could be linked to a shift in your body’s balancing act of its hormones - 2 months in, and your body will be starting to adapt and adjust now to the manipulation of preventing the conversion of T to DHT. 

I think low testosterone is a recognised cause of insomnia, however T levels usually spike initially from starting on finasteride - have you ruled out all other possibilities or recent lifestyle changes? Are you stressed any more than usual, or having difficulty in any relationships? 

interesting, could be... lifestyle wise nothing is different, no other changes or more stressed than usual. just started struggling to sleep these last few nights.  

Will see if giving up/cutting down on the pepsi max/ caffeine drinks helps, i've not had one today.. i hope its not the fin, and it sorts it self out

Edited by theshape1122
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, theshape1122 said:

I have

interesting, could be... lifestyle wise nothing is different, no other changes or more stressed than usual. just started struggling to sleep these last few nights.  

Will see if giving up/cutting down on the pepsi max/ caffeine drinks helps, i've not had one today.. i hope its not the fin, and it sorts it self out

@theshape1122a word to the wise: the more you obsess about fin side effects, the more likely you will "get them". Interpret that as you will. 

Just now, UnbaldEagle said:

@theshape1122a word to the wise: the more you obsess about fin side effects, the more likely you will "get them". Interpret that as you will. 

yeah so far I've been fine and never thought about taking it, just pretend its part of my daily supplements. its just the recent insomnia that I hope isn't linked to the fin... will find out i guess

1 minute ago, theshape1122 said:

yeah so far I've been fine and never thought about taking it, just pretend its part of my daily supplements. its just the recent insomnia that I hope isn't linked to the fin... will find out i guess

Try to have a light meal before you get to bed. The good carbs, no fats. It will release norepinepherine, which in turn will produce melatonin, making you sleep better. :) 

1 minute ago, UnbaldEagle said:

Try to have a light meal before you get to bed. The good carbs, no fats. It will release norepinepherine, which in turn will produce melatonin, making you sleep better. :) 

P.S. I do supplement melatonin occasionally. It works great and it's all natural.. 

Yeah I thought so too, but googling around forums theres a few people with same thing, still unsure its linked to the fin though.

Had another shitty night, was really tired before bed, but started feeling a little more awake when i got in, still managed to fall asleep before 30 mins, but then woke up like 4 hours later, then struggled to sleep and woke up intermitently after that.. sigh.

Day of no caffeine didn't really help then I don't think.

• Sad 1

Another night of poor sleep, waking up during night etc. Feel groggy and tired today, brainfog?

I not sure what to do now, has been going on all week. The only thing still that could be causing it is the fin, nothing else has changed. 

There are quite a few reports on other forums of people with the same insomnia like symptoms whilst using..

Think dropping to 0.5mg a day from 1mg and trying that might be worth while?

• Like 1

Have you tried melatonin? 10MG puts me out very quickly. 

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

You may have reached a point where your anxiety about the insomnia is becoming a prominent contributing factor to the insomnia itself. And adding or subtracting this or that food/drug/activity may give you enough of a sense of taking control that it produces a placebo effect that will make the insomnia go away.

You could be at one of the transitional points in your body as you age, by the time alot of guys start to seriously wrestle with hair loss they are into their middle years where body chemistry is changing, the resiliency of youth that lets us get away with bad health habits fades and can blind side guys.

Are you exercising? be sure to get in some exercise each day, the physical and psychological benefits of doing that are hard to overstate. Though I wouldn't do that too close to bedtime.

====Also on stopping caffeine, you'll want to give that some more time to evaluate if that is helping you

In general, the more caffeine you are used to consuming, the more severe the withdrawal symptoms are likely to be. Symptoms of withdrawal begin 12 to 24 hours after the last caffeine intake and can last two to nine days.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/15496-caffeine-how-to-hack-it-and-how-to-quit-it

4 minutes ago, theshape1122 said:

Nope hmm I'll have a look at it!

Look into extended release melatonin too, where there are two layers in the pill and the second layer doesn't trigger for a few hours so it helps you get to sleep and stay asleep. I used one when I was switching shifts at work to help get used to a 3rd shift I had to cover for a while.

https://www.amazon.com/delayed-release-melatonin/s?k=delayed+release+melatonin

That's the thing, I don't feel like I have anxiety, I'm just struggling with sleep suddenly out of the blue,

My hair is looking fine, and growing back nicely after my transplant, i don't really check it constantly, I just let it do its thing now.

I do exercise, I go running every other day, the issue is i can feel tired during the day, but when i get in bed i suddenly feel awake and struggle to stay asleep. 

just not sure why its started. I will have to play around more with caffeine etc, but its never effected my sleep before so its odd

Thanks I'll have a look at the melatonin, see if I can get hold of some!