Does 2nd hair transplant take longer to grow than 1st hair transplant??

Lets say you had 3,000 grafts transplanted on your scalp.

And you then transplant another 3,000 grafts in the exact same region.

Does the 2nd hair transplant take longer to grow than 1st hair transplant??

I heard this from 2 different people but I'm not sure if its true or not

8 minutes ago, Westview said:

Lets say you had 3,000 grafts transplanted on your scalp.

And you then transplant another 3,000 grafts in the exact same region.

Does the 2nd hair transplant take longer to grow than 1st hair transplant??

I heard this from 2 different people but I'm not sure if its true or not

Ok so my x2 FUTs grew exactly the same. And again when I had x3 FUE

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

It’s my crown that always takes longer! I can honestly say up to 18 months each time. 

ive heard this before about the crown. can you please explain why the crown takes longer? in your personal experience at what month did hair growth start in the crown, and when did it end? thanks. 

This is my 2nd HT and I can already feel my darling buds anxious to be sprouting. I asked them and they all unanimously said not long now. 😍

I don't think it'll take longer than your 1st transplant. :) 

Edited by UnbaldEagle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, DenverBuff1989 said:

ive heard this before about the crown. can you please explain why the crown takes longer? in your personal experience at what month did hair growth start in the crown, and when did it end? thanks. 

Its because the front of your scalp has a lot more bloodflow than the crown

• Like 4

I believe for the front and mid scalp it varies. Most likely depends on blood flow, though I wonder if Minoxidil applied to the crown helps. Perhaps the amount of scarring from the first HT also plays a role. Some people heal quicker and with less scarring so I don't think it can ever be the same timeline for every person.

All of my HT's grew in at roughly the same rate.  Though I've heard that subsequent procedures make take longer to fill in that wasn't really the case for me. 

• Like 1

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Just now, Westview said:

I've heard of rare cases where some guys saw growth at 2.5 months

there are some guys who never even shed. i dont know the thread offhand but some 28 yr old saw Dr. Reddy in the UK and the vast majority -if not all- of his transplant hair just never shed. I think he's at 6 months or so now. 

My experiences were vastly different. My first hair transplant grew along a normal timeline but it wasn't done by a skilled clinic so it always lacked density. Hard to tell exactly when things were at their final growth because it just wasn't nearly dense enough to show the hairline. I continued to wear my hair down covering the hairline even after the transplant. My second transplant with Dr Diep grew in very quickly. Started seeing growth around 2.5-3 months with full visual density by 5-6 months. It was crazy how fast that one grew. Granted he used a large punch and thick grafts in the hairline. So, it was certainly dense enough but looked a bit stalky. My last transplant with Dr Konior has been much different. Started seeing growth around 3.5-4 months and it has definitely followed a more traditional timeline of sprouting immature hair that needs months of maturation before making a visual difference. I would say I'm at 80-85% visual density at almost 10 months. It may be because there's more scar tissue there or the fact that he used small punches and there's all very fine singles used up front. Upon close examination, I can tell many grafts are thin and still immature. Also, I'm still seeing a few new singles sprouting at almost 10 months. So, this one will take a full 18 months to mature. There's definitely a difference in growth rates for me that may be based on surgeon technique, scar tissue, patient physiology, or a combination of all these various factors. 

Edited by BDK081522
  • Like 2

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

3 hours ago, BDK081522 said:

My experiences were vastly different. My first hair transplant grew along a normal timeline but it wasn't done by a skilled clinic so it always lacked density. Hard to tell exactly when things were at their final growth because it just wasn't nearly dense enough to show the hairline. I continued to wear my hair down covering the hairline even after the transplant. My second transplant with Dr Diep grew in very quickly. Started seeing growth around 2.5-3 months with full visual density by 5-6 months. It was crazy how fast that one grew. Granted he used a large punch and thick grafts in the hairline. So, it was certainly dense enough but looked a bit stalky. My last transplant with Dr Konior has been much different. Started seeing growth around 3.5-4 months and it has definitely followed a more traditional timeline of sprouting immature hair that needs months of maturation before making a visual difference. I would say I'm at 80-85% visual density at almost 10 months. It may be because there's more scar tissue there or the fact that he used small punches and there's all very fine singles used up front. Upon close examination, I can tell many grafts are thin and still immature. Also, I'm still seeing a few new singles sprouting at almost 10 months. So, this one will take a full 18 months to mature. There's definitely a difference in growth rates for me that may be based on surgeon technique, scar tissue, patient physiology, or a combination of all these various factors. 

Interesting with the latest growth. Was this transplant around previously transplanted hairs which would have had previous scar tissue? Did you do anything different during your second procedure such as using Minoxidil which may have sped up the growth?

6 hours ago, deitel130 said:

Interesting with the latest growth. Was this transplant around previously transplanted hairs which would have had previous scar tissue? Did you do anything different during your second procedure such as using Minoxidil which may have sped up the growth?

This last transplant was in, around, and in front of the previous one. I lowered the hairline about 1cm, reconstructed the temple points, and he added grafts into the previous areas that already had been transplanted for blending and gradient purposes. I'm using the same regimen that I've always had plus added biotin and dermarolling this time. Finasteride, minoxidil and started rolling around the 8th month post-op. 

• Like 1

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

13 hours ago, BDK081522 said:

This is what I've heard from other people as well. 

But I think your type of cases are in the minority, not most people

• 2 weeks later...