Dr. De Freitas extracting way out of the patient's safe zone?

WOW!...😬

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

38 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

This is exactly how Dr Zarev gets the results that he does. I imagine that the patients are on DHT blockers or if they're are not then they would want to be.

I disagree. Dr. Zarev doesn't go as high in the crown as those De Freitas pictures show. 

Compare both back of the heads - not even close. 

Zarev:

2077447210_ScreenShot2020-12-08at22_57_04.thumb.png.665dbf44296f2e4f37cf1d87bd7f45c6.png

Freitas:

image.png.ef81bb2bb2324dc1817eeeadbf51e52a.png

43 minutes ago, JohnBob said:

Remember, De Freitas does up to 4 surgeries per day and the people doing the extractions are the technicians, not him, so that may explain?

How does that explain? Are you saying his technicians have gone rogue?

16 minutes ago, PizzaWolf said:

How does that explain? Are you saying his technicians have gone rogue?

I don't know, maybe with so much surgeries per day and technicians involved it is harder to do proper quality control? How to you explain going so out of the safe zone for just 3k grafts?

Edited by JohnBob

3 minutes ago, JohnBob said:

I don't know, maybe with so much surgeries per day and technicians involved it is harder to do proper quality control? How to you explain going so out of the safe zone for just 3k grafts if not for carelessness?

Aren't you the one who just posted those amazing De Freitas transformations in another thread? That doesn't seem like careless work.

Maybe he uses his own judgment on a case by case basis to determine his extraction zone?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PizzaWolf said:

Aren't you the one who just posted those amazing De Freitas transformations in another thread? That doesn't seem like careless work.

Maybe he uses his own judgment on a case by case basis to determine his extraction zone?

Yes, because I posted some amazing results from Dr. Freitas I can only point out good things about him now? 

For me it doesn't make sense to use such aggressive extraction zone just for 3K grafts. But I'm not a doctor and I started this thread to read the opinion of other people, including yours.  

Edited by JohnBob

1 minute ago, JohnBob said:

Yes, because I posted some amazing results from Dr. Freitas I can only point out good things about him now? 

For me it doesn't make sense to use such aggressive extraction zone just for 3K grafts. But I'm not a doctor and I'm started this thread to read the opinion of other people, including yours.  

You can post whatever you want about him. I was asking the questions to try and clarify what you meant about the technicians.

I had an online consult with him recently (or his staff, who really knows). He won't do a HT on anyone who isn't using a DHT blocker, and I suspect that influences how he approaches surgery.

1 minute ago, PizzaWolf said:

You can post whatever you want about him. I was asking the questions to try and clarify what you meant about the technicians.

I had an online consult with him recently (or his staff, who really knows). He won't do a HT on anyone who isn't using a DHT blocker, and I suspect that influences how he approaches surgery.

Interesting, are you going to have a procedure with him?

If the hair loss pattern is aggressive enough I don't believe DHT blockers make any difference.

4 minutes ago, JohnBob said:

Interesting, are you going to have a procedure with him?

If the hair loss pattern is aggressive enough I don't believe DHT blockers make any difference.

You could be right about the DHT blockers and super-aggressive MPB.

I decided against De Freitas. I can't find any patients who have hair close to mine. It's always the Spanish-type guys, much like Dr. Couto's results.

• Administrators

I don’t know how many times I have to say it, but THERE IS NO UNIVERSAL SAFE ZONE! 

We all have different balding patterns, this patient may have no family history of crown loss, and he might be on finasteride long-term we don’t know, but I’ll give the doctor the benefit of the doubt. There’s no problem with extracting grafts outside of the traditional Norwood 6-7 pattern, it depends on the patient. Everything must be tailored to the specific patient.

We cannot make blanket statements, like “thats outside the safe zone” maybe your safe zone, but not that patients safe zone. There’s no one size fits all to surgery. There are men who die Norwood 2,3 with no crown loss, for those men that hair is safe. There are men who die with half an inch of hair, for them the so-called “universal” safe zone isn’t safe. 

edit:

Looks like a reasonable extraction pattern for a Norwood 5a. He went slightly higher on the sides, which don’t drop in 5a’s.

2715A3C7-1D39-4D0A-8287-7D27A6597946.png

13498AEA-63BA-4A7D-AA71-773F2C789B4A.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, JohnBob said:

I disagree. Dr. Zarev doesn't go as high in the crown as those De Freitas pictures show. 

Compare both back of the heads - not even close. 

Zarev:

2077447210_ScreenShot2020-12-08at22_57_04.thumb.png.665dbf44296f2e4f37cf1d87bd7f45c6.png

Freitas:

image.png.ef81bb2bb2324dc1817eeeadbf51e52a.png

That’s not a fair comparison, obviously Zarev isn’t going to extract where there’s no hair. 

• Haha 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

23 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

That’s not a fair comparison, obviously Zarev isn’t going to extract where there’s no hair. 

That's the point. Some people say Zarev only does his giga sessions because he extracts beyond the patient safe zone. But the patient already lost all his "unsafe" hair, so how could it be? lol

41 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

edit:

Looks like a reasonable extraction pattern for a Norwood 5a. He went slightly higher on the sides, which don’t drop in 5a’s.

2715A3C7-1D39-4D0A-8287-7D27A6597946.png

13498AEA-63BA-4A7D-AA71-773F2C789B4A.png

That looks reasonable. Now compare it with that de Freitas Patient:

image.png.9a1b948bfca5791fca1337974775c212.png

Is it reasonable to extract so high in the back of the head? Nobody knows for sure how much his hair loss pattern will progress, but you can see implanted hairs right above the head, suggesting he is already losing hair in a spot relatively close to the area the doctor started extracting the hairs. Maybe he will never lose that far, but it does look risky.

• Administrators
36 minutes ago, JohnBob said:

That looks reasonable. Now compare it with that de Freitas Patient:

image.png.9a1b948bfca5791fca1337974775c212.png

Is it reasonable to extract so high in the back of the head? Nobody knows for sure how much his hair loss pattern will progress, but you can see implanted hairs right above the head, suggesting he is already losing hair in a spot relatively close to the area the doctor started extracting the hairs. Maybe he will never lose that far, but it does look risky.

That’s the same patient, I took a screenshot from the video you posted.

View my thread

14 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

That’s the same patient, I took a screenshot from the video you posted.

Same person true but that seems to be a different line in the second picture. Compare the distance from the ears - I doubt it's just a matter of different angles.

Edited by JohnBob

• JohnBob changed the title to Dr. De Freitas extracting way out of the patient's safe zone?
2 hours ago, PizzaWolf said:

You could be right about the DHT blockers and super-aggressive MPB.

I decided against De Freitas. I can't find any patients who have hair close to mine. It's always the Spanish-type guys, much like Dr. Couto's results.

True. Which doctor you're inclined to pick?

10 hours ago, JohnBob said:

Remember, De Freitas does up to 4 surgeries per day and the people doing the extractions are the technicians, not him, so that may explain?

The Dr maps out the extraction zone with the same pen he designs the hairline. The tech doing the extraction doesn't just randomly go about the back of the head.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators
10 hours ago, JohnBob said:

Same person true but that seems to be a different line in the second picture. Compare the distance from the ears - I doubt it's just a matter of different angles.

He went higher on the sides, which is safe in a Norwood 5a, as previously mentioned. It’s clear that’s his pattern from the screenshot. Safe zones vary from person to person. Based on the pictures, he didn’t extract outside of this patients safe zone. 

image.png
This particular doctor has no affiliation with out network, but fair is fair. 

• Like 1

View my thread