How many grafts do I need?

Hello,

Since I've contacted a number of clinics and been quoted vastly different numbers of grafts, I have felt unsure on what to expect and what clinic to go for. I have been quoted 2000 grafts from one clinic, 3500, 3800, 4000 and 4500 grafts from other clinics. I have explained to each clinic that I want a pretty conservative hairline and would like to fill in the middle parts of the scalp and leave the vertex/crown for the future. The clinic that quoted me 2000 grafts has a really good doctor (based on merits) and he seemed sure that 2000 grafts would be enough for the front and middle, and leave the crown for the future. If that is doable with good density, I would go for it because personally I think the lesser amounts of grafts needed to achieve a good density, the better. I have attached pictures and would really like to know what you think? 

Btw, I usually get some folliculitis (as seen in the pics), will they affect the transplant? Really appreciate answers :)

20201015_122941.jpg

20201015_135517.jpg

20200601_212002.jpg

20200601_212023.jpg

• Administrators

To restore your entire head at least 6,000. Now, for the front you need anywhere from 2,000-2,500.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Well, it is really hard to decide what to go for... I'm contemplating on going for 2500 grafts with the first clinic (will try to convince him to transplant 500 more grafts) and try mioxidil and finasteride to save the rest of the hair in the coming years, perhaps dermarolling also. I really want to keep the hair short on the back with fade, as i've always had before my bald head became noticable... But I'm also worried that 2500 won't give me good density in the frontal/mid section. Decisions decisions, if it only were easier...

Edited by Falconary

Your donor looks above average, but there is no guarantee, that you can go for the fade afterwards. As Melvin said, you need about 6000 grafts. 2500 grafts will only cover a small area. Expect am semi circle with a length of 3 to 4 centimeters. The hairline has to be the densest part, so for the first centimeter with a density of 50 grafts, there will already around 1000 grafts be needed. 

Be aware, that you would be more or less committed to a second hair transplant, it will look super strange, if you have hair in the front and a huge crown, which will probably get bigger.

On 11/3/2020 at 2:34 AM, anker21 said:

You seem to have pretty dense donor and thick hair which should hopefully result in a good result. Have you consulted any doctors? Are you on any meds?

No I have not done anything to combat the hair loss, no finasteride, no minoxidil except the 2% which I took a 4-5 years ago and stopped... 

On 11/3/2020 at 10:04 AM, Forty Six & 2 said:

Your donor looks above average, but there is no guarantee, that you can go for the fade afterwards. As Melvin said, you need about 6000 grafts. 2500 grafts will only cover a small area. Expect am semi circle with a length of 3 to 4 centimeters. The hairline has to be the densest part, so for the first centimeter with a density of 50 grafts, there will already around 1000 grafts be needed. 

Be aware, that you would be more or less committed to a second hair transplant, it will look super strange, if you have hair in the front and a huge crown, which will probably get bigger.

Yea I know, but I am planning on going on finasteride and minoxidl after the hair transplant to hopefully save the hair on the crown. Right now the thinning on the crown is not noticable when I have longer hair of about 4-5 cm. I didn't even know that my crown were thinning until I shaved everything of a couple of months ago so I really hope that finasteride and minoxidil could dealt with that. 

12 hours ago, Falconary said:

Yea I know, but I am planning on going on finasteride and minoxidl after the hair transplant to hopefully save the hair on the crown.

Its better to use fin/min for a year prior to see what you can get away with not having to transplant for now.

Don't see your age in previous posts but you still look pretty young, and even guys that wait well into their middle years to get a hair transplant usually come back for at least one more.

Think of fin/min as the brakes on your hairloss, nothing perfectly stops loss yet, and none of us know how much we are ever going to lose. Using them helps you to slow down the loss, hopefully alot of slow down so you have fewer and smaller hair transplants over your life.

You never need to stop finasteride when you do get your transplant(s), minoxidil because it can cause extra bleeding you'll stop for 1-2 weeks before and after.

You will need 2000 to fill the empty areas in the frontal zone and temples. You will need around 1500 to address the weaknesses in the front and mid sections. You will need minox and finasteride too. 

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

13 hours ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

You will need 2000 to fill the empty areas in the frontal zone and temples. You will need around 1500 to address the weaknesses in the front and mid sections. You will need minox and finasteride too. 

Yes this is what I expected also, around 3500 grafts in total for the front and middle. Do you think it is a good idea to jump on minox and finasteride right away or do I have to wait for the transplant in January? I'm afraid that I will shed hair due to fin and minox, and that could alter the results of the transplant?

You can start on them now but I usually stop the minoxidil few weeks before surgery and resume it few weeks after. You will need to follow your doctor’s recommendation regarding that ofcourse. 

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

Up to 4,000 in frontal to mid and done really carefully in a two day procedure (if fue).  Best to avoid any risk to transecting your existing hairs.  Overall, if progressive hair loss resumes, you would need about 6,000 to 7,000 grafts to cover entire scalp.  It will need to be dine meticulously and with proper lateral slit technique to create a better more natural illusion.  I would say FUE may be riskier then FUT in terms of yield.  Good luck!