I need advice

Hello, few weeks ago i have added a post, where are honestly thought that my hair loss problem was not genetic, but then i realized that it actually is. This problem literally ended my whole social life. Before, i was having a quite party life, lots of friends and girls and i was living the life. But then it all stopped and i have been unable to go out, all of my preferences changed. Id rather spend time somewhere alone then to go lets say just for a walk to the city. It actually came to the point, where i am "okay" that i will have a boeing life, that i will not go out with people anymore and etc. But i want to do something about it. In my first post i was said that it is to early for me to have a HT since i am just 21 but i want to ask once again. Is it really that big a risk to get maybe a little procedure (more than happy to start the fin) and be okay for a few years and live, and then after some time if it gets worse on fin, go ahead with another procedure again for some time?

Because i see the point of waiting till im approximatelly 25, but when i think about the waiting, it makes me feel like im loosing my youth and all of my previous will to live.

Thank you for your responses

6 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

So sorry to hear this. There is lots of options you have. Trying the shaved look. Using concealers etc. 
Getting on Fin if needed. Did you show any pics in your previous posts?

Yes i tried a shaved look but my family and everyone else said they were afraid of me lol :D . So that was not the best solution for me. And yes i posted a pic. And the fin is okay for me (didnt try yet) but my problem are temples so far and from what i heard fin should not work that much in that area so HT pretty much only option there

First step, try fin, start a low dose and work your way up. 

if you rush this decision now, you’ll regret it later. Your best move is to swallow the emotions you’re feeling right now and understand this is a long term game, and you will win. Tough to face at 21 I know. 

research and consult enough, at least 3 doctors and get their opinions on the age relation to your situation. If medications is tolerated well and your hair is maintained, you may be able to get it sooner. My understanding is the age they cut off typically is 25 

First, see a physician and get started on finasteride and minoxidil. It sounds like you might be depressed as well. Do you have a good social support network? Please feel free to PM. Hang in there buddy

Edited by Dr. Suhail Khokhar
  • Like 2

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

5 minutes ago, TorontoMan said:

First step, try fin, start a low dose and work your way up. 

if you rush this decision now, you’ll regret it later. Your best move is to swallow the emotions you’re feeling right now and understand this is a long term game, and you will win. Tough to face at 21 I know. 

research and consult enough, at least 3 doctors and get their opinions on the age relation to your situation. If medications is tolerated well and your hair is maintained, you may be able to get it sooner. My understanding is the age they cut off typically is 25 

Yes but if it was so easy to swallow my emotions, i wouldnt be here you know. And waiting 4 years till im 25 so it can be done is also not a very motivational for me. Im not saying your not right, and i thank you for your advice im just saying how i feel 

1 minute ago, JohnAC71 said:

As others and myself have mentioned going on Fin will maintain what you have. And you do have a lot of hair. Yes we can see MPB progressing but honestly right now it’s ok. 

Yes yes i know, not too many people noticed. Actually just my gf knows that i am struggling so much but once it came to my mind, it never went away and its just getting worse.

There are certain cuts that help with the way your hair is. If you have a good barber they will find a style which suits. I did this for a few years before my first Ht. And I do understand how depressing it can be, I didn’t show anybody my head for years. Permanent hat on my head, even at the gym...

• Like 2

With thinning like you have - either a shorter buzz, down to a 2 or 1 guard so you have some hair-maybe that would lessen the intimidating vibe? Or maybe look into using some concealers, hair fibers like Toppik; or Dermmatch is another one that can give you the illusion of thicker hair -linking below to how to apply dermmatch by our forum moderator. You can get them on amazon, etc, you'd have to re-apply them after you wash your hair, but at least you know its just for a few more years until your 25.

On the mental side, hair loss has got to be even harder for guys that are more outgoing, fortunately I'm more introspective myself. Try to use this time to develop other sides of yourself, don't over-isolate, but focus more on what goes into living the good life, philosophy/ideas, hobbies/interests you can lose yourself in regardless of how you look on the outside. Because in the long run we're all going to end up ugly with little to no sex drive, whether we have hair at the end or not! :D  Anyway, 25 may seem old to you now, but its still very young with alot of great years ahead before you even start to feel old. You don't want to mess up those years too by trying to fix avoidable mistakes you make now.

Edited by ciaus
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ciaus said:

Try to use this time to develop other sides of yourself

This^

@Mat16 There are things you can do to slow it down, but ultimately you’ll have to learn how to be more than a hairdo. Try to think bigger than now.

When people tell you that you’re a terrible candidate for surgery, there are two possibilities: a) everyone just maliciously wants you to be unhappy, or b) everyone’s genuinely horrified by the typical outcome for candidates like you.

Hang in there, man. Forget the club/party scene (or whatever), focus on real relationships, and start building a life for yourself. And chill out. So you lost a little hair on your temples? What, did you want to be a little Justin Bieber for the rest of your life? Embrace your manhood.

“You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not...”

- John Lennon

If it's affecting you that much your best bet is talking to your family doctor and starting finasteride. Your doc will monitor your testosterone levels and your girlfriend will physically make sure everything is good. Best of luck man.. the sooner you hop on fin the more hair you may avoid losing longterm

• Valued Contributor

I agree with all of the above advice. My only parting advice is that I personally believe that you are experiencing depression ( I was at 18 and I couldn't see a future due to my own 'catastrophic' view of my future as a bald guy). I really would recommend that you consider seeking out some professional help to deal with the psychological impact that you are experiencing. I pulled the trigger at 18 on having an unnecessary (at the time) hair transplant that only made a bad situation worse than if I had have left any thoughts of surgery for a later date. When you state that you can't imagine waiting until you are 25 I totally get it. But to me this is a huge red flag to see someone now to help you with this and to prevent you from making a decision now that you will certainly regret by not waiting until the time is right. Take care and all the best.

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 9/15/2020 at 3:06 PM, Mat16 said:

Yes ofc

Polish_20200826_074832682.jpg

You need a clever hairstylist. That hair length is not doing you ANY favors! That's quite possibly the worst length you can have when you're dealing with hair loss. It's either shaved at a zero, or grown out to at least two inches. Your hair needs to be long enough to layer and cover the temples. Below is a perfect example of a guy with your hairline, but still has a very good stylish hairstyle that covers the temples. You can also use hair loss concealers to boost the appearance of fullness. I would recommend dermmatch, it is a fantastic product, water-proof, and you don't need that much product. 

I really hate the misconception that cutting your hair short makes your hair look thicker. That is is biggest fallacy ever! That nonsense needs to die out. If you notice you're losing hair, you should keep a medium length, not to long, and not too short. Second, you need to get a decent hairstyle that layers over the hairline. Third, you need a high quality hair loss concealer like toppik, dermmatch. For you I would recommend dermmatch, since you still have a decent head of hair, if you start to lose more hair, that's when toppik would be best. 

image.png

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.