Shaved head after hair transplant

Can anyone easily detect a hair transplant with a shaved head? I mean is shaved head look even possible with a hair transplant? It should look thinner on top quite noticeably.

Not easily unless someone is really looking hard - although with FUT there will be a noticeablele scar so that's out, whereas with FUE there will/may be pinprick diffused areas where the grafts were removed.  Your best best is FUE

But why on earth would you want to get a hair transplant and then shave your head?  Just shave it now and if you want the illusion of hair on your bald head, get SMP

Edited by voxman

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

• Administrators
13 hours ago, NAVI said:

Can anyone easily detect a hair transplant with a shaved head? I mean is shaved head look even possible with a hair transplant? It should look thinner on top quite noticeably.

If you plan on shaving your head, don't get a hair transplant. If you have never shaved your head, do it now. If you like having a shaved head, there's no reason to invest time and money in a hair transplant. That said, if don't like a shaved head now, then you wont like it after a hair transplant, so the point is moot.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

This is a very good question.

We all understand that hair restoration is about achieving an "illusion of density". 

Its widely accepted that an individual can lose around 50% of hair density before a decline in density is obvious to the naked eye. For sure there are variables to this, but using such an approach, with limited donor resources and hair loss being progressive in nature, it is sensible to use as few grafts as possible to achieve this illusion of density.

Part of this illusion of density is understanding at what length your hair will support that optimal result. There does not need to be a specific measurement but it is important to understand that your procedure will not place at your original density. This means that in many/most cases, a shaven head will not represent the most optimal illusion of density or the best result. Length to some degree will assist this illusion.

Guys with more extensive loss and more area to cover, will generally receive grafts at a lower density to be able to achieve necessary/desired coverage. This is when length is your ally.
Patients with minimal frontal loss and a favourable donor area that allows a restoration at a higher density, will be in a better position in terms of visual density when shaving down.

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

There is a huge difference between a shaved head and a buzzed head.

It's the length of the hair that really counts...most guys who had the procedure can get by with a number 3 or 4 guide but not below that.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 4 weeks later...

How well the individual heals also makes a difference in how the donor area appears.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY