Has anyone had a successful fut scar revision surgery

Hi all i just joined this forum. I have decided to have a fut scar revision surgery as i'm not happy with my scar especially on my right side. I have been researching and came across Hassan and Wong, Dr Heubner. This is not a hair transplant but rather work on the linear scar itself. Still doing more research. I had a hair transplant in April 2018 and was really happy with the results but disappointed with linear scar wasn't i thought it would be. My left side is pretty thin but the center to my right ear is pretty thick and is basically a hypertrophic scar. I could feel the tension more on my right temple than my left. I was wondering if anyone has had any successful fut scar revision surgery and would like to share. And also what doctors out there beside the ones i have mentioned are well known for having a thin linear scar. 

17 hours ago, newbie007 said:

And also what doctors out there beside the ones i have mentioned are well known for having a thin linear scar. 

Dr Konior, although he may suggest FUE into scar instead, perhaps with beard hair.  Dr Gabel another good choice, and Dr Lindsey.

These guys started as board certified in head/neck surgery so more proficient in scar work.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

• Moderators

Dr Lindsey has several examples of a double layer closure for scar repairs. He cuts the scar out and then uses dissolvable sutures below the surface to pull the area together, so the tension is mostly on those sutures. Then he does a top layer of sutures to close it all up. He explains it much better than I can.

With that said you may be better with some FUE placed into the scar instead of trying to cut it out.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

21 hours ago, newbie007 said:

Hi all i just joined this forum. I have decided to have a fut scar revision surgery as i'm not happy with my scar especially on my right side. I have been researching and came across Hassan and Wong, Dr Heubner. This is not a hair transplant but rather work on the linear scar itself. Still doing more research. I had a hair transplant in April 2018 and was really happy with the results but disappointed with linear scar wasn't i thought it would be. My left side is pretty thin but the center to my right ear is pretty thick and is basically a hypertrophic scar. I could feel the tension more on my right temple than my left. I was wondering if anyone has had any successful fut scar revision surgery and would like to share. And also what doctors out there beside the ones i have mentioned are well known for having a thin linear scar. 

Agree with the other comments here. 

Have any photos that you are comfortable sharing? Would be helpful for the community. 

I had Dr. Paul Shapiro perform a scar revision after my 3rd transplant.  It turned out very well - not pencil thin but more like sharpie thin. 

• Like 1

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Yeah, your scar definitely stretched.  Tough call if you should do a scar revision via strip or fue.  Definitely get multiple opinions from reputable docs. 

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

@aaron1234 thanks for the response and i agree its a tough call. But at this point i think would do a strip revision i just don't like the outcome of the scar. Especially when its hypertrophic. I don't think fue into the scar will be suitable at this point

Edited by newbie007

On 8/6/2020 at 4:16 AM, HTHope said:

Stay away from huebner. Total hack and uses old 80s technology in terms of hair transplants

I'm not going to do a hair transplant with heubner but a scar revision surgery. He's one of the options i'm considering for a scar revision surgery.

Edited by newbie007

We have performed an FUT scar revision surgery earlier. However, the survival rates of the grafts on the scar tissues are lesser. If you are planning to use yoyr scalp and beard donor then it can e helpful. If you are planning to use body hair then it will have lesser survival rates. 

Also, when you perform a transplantation on the scar, the density might not be as thick as the rest of the hair but a decent coverage. Usually plantation on such scars are planned with more grafts planted by the sides where the scar tissue is thinner. This would prevent graft wastage in the center parallel of the scar due to its thickness. But again the nature of the scar tissue is subjective in different subjects.

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

4 hours ago, Gabreille Nelson Mukhia said:

We have performed an FUT scar revision surgery earlier. However, the survival rates of the grafts on the scar tissues are lesser. If you are planning to use yoyr scalp and beard donor then it can e helpful. If you are planning to use body hair then it will have lesser survival rates. 

Also, when you perform a transplantation on the scar, the density might not be as thick as the rest of the hair but a decent coverage. Usually plantation on such scars are planned with more grafts planted by the sides where the scar tissue is thinner. This would prevent graft wastage in the center parallel of the scar due to its thickness. But again the nature of the scar tissue is subjective in different subjects.

I’m pretty sure by scar revision he means removing a bulk of the scar tissue then closing it back up using a better method such as trichophytic closure. Not just putting grafts into the scar as you mention

8 hours ago, newbie007 said:

I'm not going to do a hair transplant with heubner but a scar revision surgery. He's one of the options i'm considering for a scar revision surgery.

I would still stay far away. That guy doesn’t know wtf he is doing as far as I’m concerned. He trained under Brett Bolton who is another quack. You have been warned

19 hours ago, HTHope said:

I’m pretty sure by scar revision he means removing a bulk of the scar tissue then closing it back up using a better method such as trichophytic closure. Not just putting grafts into the scar as you mention

Oh. But of course! Apologies. 

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

From everything I’ve seen the two people who consistently get the best scars I’ve seen are Konior and Hasson.

Look at the scars Hasson gets from from unbelievably large FUT sessions 6000+.....

Both Konior and Hasson are also FUE masters and could provide this solution if they feel it’s best.

id suggest at this point that you consistently start doing scalp laxity exercises to set yourself up in the best possible shape for a revision.