FUT Procedure July 2020: Dr Vikram Jayaprakash- The Knudsen Clinic. Melbourne, Australia.

I won't go into a massive backstory as most of ours probably start in a similar fashion. 
I started losing my hair in my early 20s and I'm now 31 years old.

I didn't start taking Finasteride until this year which was far too late. When I was about 26 I began researching hair transplant surgery.

I have had overseas consultations as well as two here in Australia. The clinics in Turkey seemed to quote far higher graft numbers than Australia but were far cheaper in terms of price until you take into account the flights etc from Melbourne to Europe which was one of the deciding factors in the end.

I found The Knudsen Clinic from the popular Youtube channel- The Hairloss Show.
Once I had my consultation with Dr Vikram, I felt comfortable to proceed with surgery there.

On the 20th July I arrived at the clinic and went through the pre-op stuff required before surgery, including hairline design.
Dr Vikram allowed me to choose my own hairline but did offer me advice related to expecations, my age and the future. We decided on a hairline that seemed natural for my age and away we went into theatre.

I was given a sedative similar to a Valium prior to beginning the procedure.
The anaesthetic needles in the scalp were by far the worst part of the entire day (Except the insane boredom!). I won't lie, you absolutely feel those injections!
After a couple of minutes you are completely numb in the scalp.

Dr Vikram then took the strip and approximately 6 technicians began preparing it into grafts.

Whilst the grafts were being prepared Dr Vikram made the recipient sites. Once these were done he began implanting the grafts along with one assistant who rotated with other assistants throughout the day. Dr Vikram only had one break from implanting grafts himself the entire procedure.

Towards the end there was still grafts leftover and so he made some more recipient sites and implanted around 55 extra grafts.

All in all, I had approximately 2700 grafts. Majority in the frontal and mid area with some scattered in the crown as well.

I'm now on day 4 post operation and so the photos are from pre-surgery, immediately post surgery and then days 1-4.

I will try and update this post fortnightly until the shed is done and then monthly.

Ask any questions you like!

IMG_20200721_120542.jpg

IMG_20200720_181250.jpg

IMG_20200722_085707.jpg

IMG_20200722_085919.jpg

IMG_20200601_165835.jpg

IMG_20200704_145132.jpg

IMG_20200723_083728.jpg

• Valued Contributor

Hi Niko,

I'm from Melbourne, Australia and I have had consults with Dr Vikram and Dr Knudsen along with many other hair transplant surgeons in Australia. You have wavy/curly hair which will be an asset in your results. The FUT scar looks very clean. Did Dr Vikram tell you how many more grafts you still have available if you were wanting another procedure down the track? Thanks for sharing and I look forward to your updates.

1 minute ago, Gatsby said:

Hi Niko,

I'm from Melbourne, Australia and I have had consults with Dr Vikram and Dr Knudsen along with many other hair transplant surgeons in Australia. You have wavy/curly hair which will be an asset in your results. The FUT scar looks very clean. Did Dr Vikram tell you how many more grafts you still have available if you were wanting another procedure down the track? Thanks for sharing and I look forward to your updates.

Thanks for your reply mate!

Yeah I think it will definitely add to the illusion of density having curly hair.

I can't remember exactly but he said I could easily have another procedure

DAY 8 POST OP:

Quick little update. Sorry pics are a little gross!

Some redness subsiding now and most the scabs are gone. It' really cool to see little hairs along my hairline for the first time in years!

Donor area still pretty sore where the stitches are (Should be dissolving now). I think the pain there is actually kind of worse now because the nerve endings are waking up again.

Not looking forward to the inevitable shed over the next few weeks.

3uSS6MKE.jpeg

G8U7SCEE.jpeg

Day 17? Update.

Growing really well now, the redness is still very evident but I'm pretty pale skinned so I anticipate that will hang around for a while.

Scalp is getting quite dry and almost flakey the last few days. I've started applying aloe vera gel to the recipient area as well as the donor which seems to help.

Not too happy about the thought of shedding all this growth off but I guess that's a part of the process.

IMG_20200805_140517.jpg

IMG_20200805_140447.jpg

IMG_20200805_140748.jpg

Just a quick update.

3 weeks post op yesterday and the shed has kicked in hard for me. I'm anticipating I'll lose almost all the transplanted hair before it is done!

As for the donor area, scar is healing pretty well but I've had bad shock loss in the entire area so I'm looking horrible at the moment!

IMG_20200811_115430.jpg

IMG_20200811_115314.jpg

4 minutes ago, NicoAustralia said:

Just a quick update.

3 weeks post op yesterday and the shed has kicked in hard for me. I'm anticipating I'll lose almost all the transplanted hair before it is done!

As for the donor area, scar is healing pretty well but I've had bad shock loss in the entire area so I'm looking horrible at the moment!

IMG_20200811_115430.jpg

IMG_20200811_115314.jpg

Any pictures of the scar? Just a waiting game now!

• 2 weeks later...

One month down for me today!

Looking absolutely terrible as you can see in the photos but it's all a part of the process. I did my research and prepared myself for this so I'm doing pretty good even if I don't look good!

I'd say I've shed 80% of my transplanted hair and wouldn't be surprised if I lose the rest.

Redness has subsided somewhat but certainly still present. Looking forward to the redness disappearing being the next phase of the process.

I had dissolvable stitches which if I had my choice I would not recommend. It was all fine but after three weeks I was sick of them and wanted them out which caused me a little stress. They are all gone now and the donor area feels fine.

As you can see from my terrible photography, the scar is still quite red.

Also, REALLY bad shock loss almost everywhere and especially in the donor area. Before the procedure I could somewhat hide my hairloss with fibres and hairspray but now it would be impossible.

I'll update again at 2 months.

IMG_20200820_164915.jpg

IMG_20200820_165009.jpg

IMG_20200820_164840.jpg

IMG_20200820_165013.jpg

IMG_20200820_164827.jpg

IMG_20200820_164902.jpg

2 minutes ago, ShadowMoon said:

The shed is real my dude. All my transplanted hair and some native hair was completely gone at 2 weeks. 

Happy healing!

I feel you mate haha.

How long until your donor scar was completely healed would you say?

Also, did you get back shock loss in the donor area?

Just now, NicoAustralia said:

I feel you mate haha.

How long until your donor scar was completely healed would you say?

Also, did you get back shock loss in the donor area?

You're a week ahead of me, my three weeks was yesterday. My incision is healing well but one side is a little more raised than the other, and has more shock loss. I have some ingrown hairs along and inside of the scar. I'll post some pictures on my thread once I'm at 1 month.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ShadowMoon said:

You're a week ahead of me, my three weeks was yesterday. My incision is healing well but one side is a little more raised than the other, and has more shock loss. I have some ingrown hairs along and inside of the scar. I'll post some pictures on my thread once I'm at 1 month.

Ah my bad dude!

Looking forward to your update. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...