Scared of 2nd FUT scar

So I had an FUT procedure about 2 years ago with Huebner in Florida. Long story short I didn’t get the result/density I needed and regret having the procedure there, I wasn’t as educated at the time. I will say though that my scar result is pretty dam good and have no complaints with it. I live in the NYC area and after having a consult with Feller and Bloxham I have decided that IF I have another procedure I will have it done with them. I know I will have a fantastic result as their work is phenomenal. I am though worried about a second strip scar. So my question is how worried should I be about a second procedure scar being wider than my first ? Bloxham told me it’s possible that it will be but it all depends on my body healing. Any feedback would be appreciated 

I think I healed really well. Bloxham agreed that my scar is really good. I’m just nervous about doing another of course. Bloxham said he would cut out the first one so I would once again only have one. 

• Moderators

Some people are just naturally bad healers through no fault of their own. It's just their genetics. Since you already had a procedure and healed very well then you're probably not one of those people and your next surgery should heal pretty well too even if it's not quite as good as the first one. It also depends on scalp laxity and how wide of an area the Dr tries to remove. It's usually better to not try to go for the maximum amount of grafts you can get on the second transplant because you don't want to be tightening and stretching the skin too much which would lead to a wider scar due to stretch back. Since it's been two years since your last procedure the laxity may be a little better than if it was only one year ago. Your scalp had more time to heal. Feller and Bloxham have had some really good scar results, so try not to worry too much.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I can’t help as far as second fut scar question but I will say that my scar a long with others looks good and so do the results of others mine I’m still waiting lol 🤞🏻 

There are a number of factors to consider along with how well the patient heals, meaning the individual's physiology.

You also need to ask "how wide" will the proposed strip be and do you currently have the scalp laxity to accommodate the strip that will be excised?...I recommend that you ask Dr. Bloxam if he recommends that you do scalp stretching exercises before your procedure and what his opinion is regarding your present scalp laxity....how long will the strip be?

Also ask him what method of closure he is considering to minimize the scar from stretching...some docs use staples, some may elect a double closure technique if there is any concern.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY