2nd hair transplant. Shock loss from previously transplanted hair ??

Good morning 

A bit of my story: I started losing my hair early in my life( around 18 years old) It affected my self-esteem pretty bad.

I decided to take action to fix it. I had a 3000 graft transplant with Dr. Koray in turkey in my mid-twenties. I had a good result, but the density in medium to high lightning was lacking. Especially outside, my hairline was quite a see trough.

The whole goal of having a transplant was to stop thinking about my hair. I decided to see Dr. Hasson this winter to fix my hairline once for all and be able to stop thinking about my hair. In February, I had an extra 2300 grafts in my hair. Dr. Hasson dense pack the area and I am quite excited to see the result in a few months.

I am now at 1.5 months post-op. All my new grafts had shed. My native hairs and previous grafts transplanted during my first operation have started to grow back. The thing is, it seems a lot thinner now than before I had my transplant. All the hairs growing back in my hairline from my previous operation are thin and wiry. My hairline and my temple seem gappy. 

Is it possible that the grafts I had transplanted during my first transplant went through some kind of shock loss?  Are they supposed to grow back ?. I am not too worried about hair transection due to the expertise of my surgeon, but I never heard about a shock loss of previously transplanted hair. I would like to listen to what you guys think.

thank you in advance

• Administrators

Sounds like shock loss, you will look worse before you look better. Nothing to be concerned about, but yea it sucks. Been through it myself.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

At 1.5 months post-op, most of the shocked hair and the new grafts probably have not yet sprouted.

When hair is shocked and/or in a dormant phase, there is an estimated resting period of 3-4 months so it is way too early to asses the procedure.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you get 6 months plus post-op.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Moderators

It's shock loss from the 2nd hair transplant. It's temporary and it will grow back. It's like you have to take a step backwards and then take two steps forward.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Hey guys 

Thank you for the reply. It help put my mind at peace knowing it is just a shock loss from my second transplant and everything should grow back

It is always  weird when you look at your haircut and notice how thin and see through it is compare to about a year ago especially after a second transplant

I've attached some pictures as previously asked

In each set of pictures the one my hairs are thin and pinkish is the result of the second ht 2 month post op. The first one are my first ht

Stay safe out there

Screenshot_20200402-222553_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200402-222543_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200402-222519_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200402-223156_Snapchat.jpg

Screenshot_20200402-223218_Snapchat.jpg

Screenshot_20200402-223249_Snapchat.jpg

Screenshot_20200402-223302_Snapchat.jpg

Edited by Seb1928

• Administrators

Was the first pic your hair before? Why’d you get another procedure? It looked fantastic.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Hey Melvin

Yes it was. Thank you

The reason for the second hair transplant was to add density. In natural day light or medium to strong indoor lighting my hairline was quite see through and looked unnatural

I wanted to have a natural results and once for all stop worrying about my hair

IMHO, in the first pic, any of us would absolutely die for that hair!....😁

• Like 1

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Hard to understand that.

Gillenator

He said the first pic was his before.

Gillenator

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Seb1928 said:

Hey Melvin

Yes it was. Thank you

The reason for the second hair transplant was to add density. In natural day light or medium to strong indoor lighting my hairline was quite see through and looked unnatural

I wanted to have a natural results and once for all stop worrying about my hair

It's always risky going for a second procedure when your hair already looks that good. I can understand the desire to make it ultra-dense, but the ugly duckling phase is the draw back. You're just gonna have to wait it out- honestly that's one of the reasons why I don't wan to get another procedure, just because right now my hair looks good, and the ugly duckling phase is just brutal.

View my thread

It's a major risk of SHOCK LOSS!!!.....😬

Gillenator

Ohhhhhhh...then like you, I would also like to see what he looked like "before" any HT surgery.

Gillenator

7 hours ago, gillenator said:

It's a major risk of SHOCK LOSS!!!.....😬

Now I am worried hahah. I've done my research like all of us before going to a second transplant. Dr Hasson is quite reputed for hairline work as well as dense packing. Why is it a major risk ?

7 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

It's always risky going for a second procedure when your hair already looks that good. I can understand the desire to make it ultra-dense, but the ugly duckling phase is the draw back. You're just gonna have to wait it out- honestly that's one of the reasons why I don't wan to get another procedure, just because right now my hair looks good, and the ugly duckling phase is just brutal.

Can you explain why it's always risky ? I am well aware of the transection factor when you dense pack. This is also the reason I went with Dr Hasson . Is there any other reason why grafts would of die ? And yes you are right. The ugly ducking phase is awfull. My self esteem is pretty low right now. I can't wait for my hairs to grow back. I hope it it's going to be one of my last hair transplant. It's a huge draw back from social life

9 hours ago, gillenator said:

IMHO, in the first pic, any of us would absolutely die for that hair!....😁

Thank gillenator appreciate the kind words. I have made a post with a few pics from before my first hair transplant at the bottom

Morning guys 

Thank you for all the reply

Few of you asked for pictures before my first hair transplant. I must say I've started loose my hair pretty young. I've tried a few solutions before my first hair transplant.

I've had SMP first. ( I thought I wanted a bald look for all my life). I lasted one summer then I got sick of it.

I then purchase a wig(was about 1000$)result was good but it was too munch maintenance. I wasn't able to swim and be active. Plus it was really ankward during intimate situation with girls.

I then decided transplant was the way to go. Anyway here's a few pictures. It's not pretty I am warning you. At that time I had a wig and let my hair grew underneath. There was no way I could walk around balding with SMP.

The first set of pictures are my SMP , then me with a wig , then me before my first hair transplant. I also included picture of my hair under harsh sunlight witch was the reason for the second transplant

If you guys have any questions feel free to ask

Cheers

Screenshot_20200403-234645_Snapchat.jpg

Screenshot_20200403-235255_Snapchat.jpg

Screenshot_20200403-234608_Snapchat.jpg

Screenshot_20200403-234713_Snapchat.jpg

Screenshot_20200403-234742_Snapchat.jpg

Screenshot_20200403-234811_Snapchat.jpg

Screenshot_20200403-234831_Snapchat.jpg

Screenshot_20200403-233235_Snapchat.jpg

Screenshot_20200403-234924_Snapchat.jpg

Screenshot_20200403-234905_Snapchat.jpg

Screenshot_20200403-232910_Snapchat.jpg

• Moderators

That SMP was too low on the sides. It looks like the transplanted hairline was done at the same place as the SMP probably because there wasn't a lot of choice at that point which makes the transplanted hairline too low. So now you used 5300 grafts just to get a frontal hairline. What are you going to do once the mid scalp and crown go, which it looks like are already thinning? You are getting into a situation where you will run out of donor grafts and ending up with a thick, low hairline and not much else.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

9 hours ago, BeHappy said:

That SMP was too low on the sides. It looks like the transplanted hairline was done at the same place as the SMP probably because there wasn't a lot of choice at that point which makes the transplanted hairline too low. So now you used 5300 grafts just to get a frontal hairline. What are you going to do once the mid scalp and crown go, which it looks like are already thinning? You are getting into a situation where you will run out of donor grafts and ending up with a thick, low hairline and not much else.

Hey behappy

Yeah the SMP was a mistake. I've started finasteride about a year and a half ago. It did wonders on the thinning of the mid scalp.

Money is not an issue. I plan in the future maybe 5 to 10 years get my hair line redesign for a less aggressive and receding one. More of a windows peak. Especially at the temple region. This or like all of us when the time comes hope the technology will allow for more solutions

As you mentioned due to the SMP I didn't have munch options. In the meantime I keep my finasteride regimen and going to enjoy my hairline

• Administrators

Thanks for sharing, I have to say the hairline still looked pretty dang good. I hope you'll keep us updated on your progress.

View my thread