1 year post op- new hairs unmanagable

• Moderators

Do you use any conditioner before using shampoo? This usually helps. Transplanted hairs sometimes grow rough and wiry for a while, but they will soften up and blend in better with your natural hair over time.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I agree with BeHappy...and as the new grafts continue to grow in length, eventually the hair will resume its original characteristics.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Administrators

My hairs were very wavy, curly and just plain nappy when they grew out. It takes time for the hairs to soften and grow in to their natural form. I wold give it some time, and until then use some strong conditioner, and use a circle comb with a blowdryer to straighten it out.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Applying heat with a  blow dryer definitely helps straighten the hair shafts.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I'm myself on week 6 right now after my FUE, however it's seems logical to me to wash your hair, apply conditioner (keep it for at least 5 min in) and then blow dry (while still damp) with some heat protection spray. When you are blow drying you basically shaping your hair, how it will sit down after you are finished.

Another options might be just go short again and wait until 18-24 months in. As some people said, it takes time for hairs to get "natural" look. Think about it. They've been placed in a completely new environment not by choice, full of DHT (perhaps that's the case? hahaha). They will need some time to adapt.

1st FUE28/01/2020 - 3659 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira
2nd FUE - 03/06/2021 - 2881 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira

Follow me on YouTube

I'm not a medical professional, thus any information given by me is my own observation and should not be treated as professional advice.

• 2 weeks later...

You'll have to do some trial and error with different products to see what works for you. If you go to a salon, they may have samples of different things you could try so you don't have to commit to buying a full bottle of something. Creams and leave in conditioners sound like something that might work for you. I've had success with both. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56