Advice please - looking into FUE

Hi all,

I've just came across the forum and am thinking about having an FUE hair transplant. I'm 37 years old and have been using Rogaine 5% for 2 years. My hair loss at he front has been happening for over 10 years now, but hasn't moved much in the last few years. 

I've had mixed replies from clinics saying 1500 - 3000 grafts? 

In terms of graft numbers, how many do you think I'll need to tackle the front?

Graft numbers?.jpg

1800-2000 grafts. But to protect your existing hair in between and back you might need to start finasteride or the hairs might keep on shedding. Please take multiple doctor views on this. I got similar work done from eugenix- recently and have started finasteride.

• Administrators

How long have you been dealing with hair loss? I agree that a hair transplant is not gonna stop the rest of your hair from being lost to DHT. That said, I believe that the area you marked should be around 2,000 grafts. May I ask why you're considering a hair transplant? Looks like you're already shaving your head.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Moderators

1500 seems like not enough and 3000 seems like it would be too high. I would think somewhere in the 2000 to 2500 range.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Hi Cardin,

At 37 you've done extremely well to keep most of your hair without the need for Finasteride. Also you mentioned your hair loss has stabilised over the last few years without the need for Finasteride.

I would say 2200-2500 grafts should be sufficient to cover the marked area, IE. redefining and strengthening your hairline and filling in your temple areas.

Most surgeons will recommend Finasteride post op for at least 6 months so if you do want to reluctantly give it a go then that may be the time to do so. You can start on a smaller (0.5mg) dosage at less frequency and monitor your body for any changes over the coming weeks. You can then up the dosage and frequency to the recommended amount once you are confident that your body does not suffer any adverse affects as is the case with the vast majority of patients.

If you prefer keeping your hair the length pictured then you should also look into SMP (Scalp micro-pigmentation)

On 3/2/2020 at 4:14 AM, Cardin1977 said:

Thanks for the reply. I'm a bit unsure about finasteride to be honest. I think my hair loss has slowed down. Though I will do more research! 

That's certainly understandable in how you feel about taking meds but although it seems like your loss has slowed down, it will continue unless you get started on low dose finasteride...you can always talk with your doctor about starting it on a gradual dose to help minimize any potential side-effects.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

3 hours ago, gillenator said:

That's certainly understandable in how you feel about taking meds but although it seems like your loss has slowed down, it will continue unless you get started on low dose finasteride...you can always talk with your doctor about starting it on a gradual dose to help minimize any potential side-effects.

Thanks Gillenator. I've read about taking the medication every other day rather than daily. What are your thoughts on this? Could the dosage be tuned to the rate of hairloss? As my thinning is not very rapid??

I'm on board with the general consensus here as well in regards to something closer to the 2,000-2,500 range - depending on how low you wanna go with your hairline. In regards to Fin, while I don't take it due to mild side effects, I think it's something worth trying for the months leading up to (and following) a HT. A small dosage every other day may serve you well, although the only way to really know how your body will respond is to try it and see how it goes. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

On 3/3/2020 at 5:44 PM, Cardin1977 said:

Thanks Gillenator. I've read about taking the medication every other day rather than daily. What are your thoughts on this? Could the dosage be tuned to the rate of hairloss? As my thinning is not very rapid??

My thoughts?...How about my own experiences?...you see, I have been cutting Proscar (5 mg) tablets into 3-4 pieces and taking one piece every other day for over 2 decades now....and it has worked very efficient for me.

Keep in mind that we all respond to medications differently and why you want to take it under the advice of a licensed physician.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

On 3/3/2020 at 9:06 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

How long have you been dealing with hair loss? I agree that a hair transplant is not gonna stop the rest of your hair from being lost to DHT. That said, I believe that the area you marked should be around 2,000 grafts. May I ask why you're considering a hair transplant? Looks like you're already shaving your head.

Most of the doctors don't recommend Minoxidil or Finasteride here. Just multiple sessions of PRP.

On 3/3/2020 at 7:25 PM, Shera said:

Hi Cardin,

At 37 you've done extremely well to keep most of your hair without the need for Finasteride. Also you mentioned your hair loss has stabilised over the last few years without the need for Finasteride.

I would say 2200-2500 grafts should be sufficient to cover the marked area, IE. redefining and strengthening your hairline and filling in your temple areas.

Most surgeons will recommend Finasteride post op for at least 6 months so if you do want to reluctantly give it a go then that may be the time to do so. You can start on a smaller (0.5mg) dosage at less frequency and monitor your body for any changes over the coming weeks. You can then up the dosage and frequency to the recommended amount once you are confident that your body does not suffer any adverse affects as is the case with the vast majority of patients.

If you prefer keeping your hair the length pictured then you should also look into SMP (Scalp micro-pigmentation)

Shera what exactly is SMP? And how does it help to protect the transplanted and native hairs?

• Administrators
41 minutes ago, tesla007 said:

Most of the doctors don't recommend Minoxidil or Finasteride here. Just multiple sessions of PRP.

Lol that’s because they can’t make money off of finasteride or minoxidil. On the flip side, they’ll be making a fortune charging you for PRP. Honestly, PRP isn’t on par or proven as finasteride or minoxidil.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 1 month later...
On 3/6/2020 at 9:33 PM, gillenator said:

My thoughts?...How about my own experiences?...you see, I have been cutting Proscar (5 mg) tablets into 3-4 pieces and taking one piece every other day for over 2 decades now....and it has worked very efficient for me.

Keep in mind that we all respond to medications differently and why you want to take it under the advice of a licensed physician.

Thanks! 

I started 1mg daily about 2 weeks ago. So far so good. I think I'm going to put the hair transplant on hold until later in the year.