Thinking of Getting a Hair Transplant (FUE), How many grafts would I need?

I am thinking of getting a hair transplant. From my research a FUE would be more ideal as there is less scarring. I am 40 years old and always had thin hair. I attempted to go on monoxidil but got bad side effects from it. I will not go on propecia because of those effects as well. I have been using natural methods such as essential oils and ketoconazle shampoo for the past year. 

What I want to accomplish from the HT is really in the front hairline. I wanted to fill in the sides (bringing down the hairline on the sides) as well as provide some reinforcement in the center to provide more volume (the hairliine is fine here). How many grafts would be recommended? Is my donor area sufficient? I also have a very short haircut, would the donor area look very thin afterwards? I appreciate your help. thanks

20190617_184742.jpg

20190617_184806.jpg

20190617_184821.jpg

20190617_185103.jpg

20190618_080522.jpg

20190618_080625.jpg

20190618_080721.jpg

20190618_080900.jpg

20190618_081115.jpg

20190618_081210.jpg

20190618_081255.jpg

20190618_082138.jpg

20190618_083234.jpg

Screenshot_20190618-080123_Gallery.jpg

20191213_131748.jpg

20190921_222416.jpg

20191213_083921.jpg

Edited by misterv

I would say around 1,800 to rebuild the hairline otherwise your hair looks great. 

1st Procedure, Oct. 2012 - 1,704 grafts FUT w/Dr. True

2nd Procedure, Sept. 2015 - 2500 grafts FUE w/Dr. Vories

FUE Progress - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/180966-my-experience-w-dr-vories-2-500-grafts.html

FUE 1 year result - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/184716-1-year-results-2-500-grafts-w-dr-vories.html

• Administrators

More information is needed to answer your questions. What are you trying to achieve? Are you trying to lower your hairline? Add overall density? If you are trying to lower your hairline and rebuild your hairline I would say 2,500. However, if you are simply trying to reinforce and strengthen your existing hairline I would say around 1,500. I wouldn't touch the crown or midscalp, you have enough density, and you would be a better candidate for hair fibers. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Based upon what you've stated, I agree with your assessment and goals. I would reinforce your hairline in the frontal/temporal regions with about 1,500 grafts. Have you considered using a topical solution of minoxidil/finasteride? It has been proven to by efficacious without the side effects of their system counterparts:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29972712

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4314881/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6609098/

Edited by Dr. Suhail Khokhar

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

On 12/28/2019 at 5:58 PM, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

Based upon what you've stated, I agree with your assessment and goals. I would reinforce your hairline in the frontal/temporal regions with about 1,500 grafts. Have you considered using a topical solution of minoxidil/finasteride? It has been proven to by efficacious without the side effects of their system counterparts:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29972712

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4314881/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6609098/

Hi ive tried minoxidil but i have bad side effects. 

On 12/26/2019 at 8:53 PM, CosmoKramer said:

IMHO, 2,000 grafts done by the right surgeon would work very well for you..,if you don’t choose to go too low on the hairline.

Thanks, I don't want to go lower on the hairline, I just wanted to reinforce the center a bit and fill in the sides (second to last picture circled). My hair has never had that much volume per square inch. Its always been thin. However, in recent years ive been losing some hair on the front sides. Do you think 2k is alot? That could be up to 6k hairs. But probably 2-6k hairs on those follicles. 

On 12/26/2019 at 3:05 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

More information is needed to answer your questions. What are you trying to achieve? Are you trying to lower your hairline? Add overall density? If you are trying to lower your hairline and rebuild your hairline I would say 2,500. However, if you are simply trying to reinforce and strengthen your existing hairline I would say around 1,500. I wouldn't touch the crown or midscalp, you have enough density, and you would be a better candidate for hair fibers. 

Thanks, what do you mean by "hair fibers"? When I come out of the shower, my crown can look kind of thin but my hairstyle covers it up. The top/crown has never really been dense as I have always had less dense hair. I dont want to lower the center hairline, just add some density. I do want to lower hairline on the front sides as in the second to last pic

2 hours ago, misterv said:

Thanks, I don't want to go lower on the hairline, I just wanted to reinforce the center a bit and fill in the sides (second to last picture circled). My hair has never had that much volume per square inch. Its always been thin. However, in recent years ive been losing some hair on the front sides. Do you think 2k is alot? That could be up to 6k hairs. But probably 2-6k hairs on those follicles. 

You’re welcome!

Then, no, I don’t think 2k grafts would be excessive especially to properly rebuild your hairline.

I would try Fin before anything else.  Imagine if you end up NW6 with a hairline and nothing behind it and an FUE thinned out donor.  Donor looks naturally quite thin to start with.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

2 hours ago, 1978matt said:

I would try Fin before anything else.  Imagine if you end up NW6 with a hairline and nothing behind it and an FUE thinned out donor.  Donor looks naturally quite thin to start with.

Thats a good point and it is cause of concern. I am afraid of taking too much hair from the donor area. But I also feel I have mild thining in the front. So I just wanted something balanced.  I am turning 40 years old and it was a slow thinning since age 23 or so. How much more thin can i get at age 55 or so? I added pics of today after i got a haircut. 1.5 buzz.  I don't want to use Fin from the side effects tbh. 

20191230_185141.jpg

20191230_192226.jpg

Edited by misterv

9 hours ago, misterv said:

Thats a good point and it is cause of concern. I am afraid of taking too much hair from the donor area. But I also feel I have mild thining in the front. So I just wanted something balanced.  I am turning 40 years old and it was a slow thinning since age 23 or so. How much more thin can i get at age 55 or so? I added pics of today after i got a haircut. 1.5 buzz.  I don't want to use Fin from the side effects tbh. 

I was just searching for a word that describes your dilemma and 'cr4pshoot' seems appropriate.  A difficult decision.

In my own case I had lost enough hair to make having a transplant worthwhile, whereas you still look relatively 'good / ok' for someone age 40.

If you have not tried fin I'd suggest trying a lower dose such as 0.25mg x 3times a week or proscar cut into quarters 2 x week.  If you don't have any side effects it will give a bit more confidence to move with a HT. I get brain fog issues if I try to take it daily but a couple of days a week it's fine, and also take it at night so any effects disappear overnight.

Other than that I would go to see a reputable doctor and one that will assess how much thinning is going on and to try to judge how bald you will get.  For reference, my Dad had about the same amount of hair as you aged 40-50 but has still ended up NW 5.5-6 with a sprinkling of hair on top age 67.  He has very soft fine hair compared to mine though.  I take after my mother's hair (coarse).

Edited by 1978matt

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day