how many grafts?

my hairline is not really bad from the front, if sucks from the side.
graft suggested
Hasson 2500 FUE and 3000 FUT
Koray Edrogan 2400-2800
Pekiner 3000
(I do not want to name "low cost" clinic, promising 4000 graft...where should I place all that grafts?!?).
I choose Pekiner. I'll have my surgery in January 6th and 7th 2020.
I said that IMHO 300 is too much, especially considering I'm 41/42 years old.
From what I can see on this board, about 2300/2400 should be more than enough. What do you think?

73352322_3965348133490698_5313303148528402432_n.jpg

Having dark hair and light scalp does not help you.  The contrast always makes it look worse than it is.  It would be nice if you could pull your hair up so we can see how far the corners run.  It also seems as if you are thin in the entire front.  2400-3000 grafts would be nice....and keep in mind a second procedure may be needed down the road, particularly if you lose more.  Are you doing any type of medical therapy to help you with retention?

Combing your hair straight back may be helping your crown a bit, but not the front.  It would be smarter if you combed to the side.  The hair would shingle and give the illusion of more density.  That does bring up a point.....

A part line always makes things worse. This typically prompts a patient to put more grafts on one side than the other.  This, in my view, is a mistake.  If you're going to do one side, do the other as well.  You will not be lopsided.

• Like 1

• Administrators

How much are you trying to lower your hairline? I really don’t see the need for 3,000 grafts at all.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 11/26/2019 at 5:11 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

How much are you trying to lower your hairline? I really don’t see the need for 3,000 grafts at all.

I attached  the pic I sent to Pekiner. It is one of my worst pic ever....I look better in person but I was trying to have a brutal opinion.
I attached a pic of me "in real file" situation..

I think my big issue is parietal hair loss. 
Pekiner designed 2 lines (3000 and 2500 hair grafts)
Anyway, I'm worried to add grafts on my sides...I've seen some disasters!

78469828_2278801502412941_22597128614313984_n.jpg

Edited by duchaine

7 hours ago, LaserCap said:

Are you doing any type of medical therapy to help you with retention?

This typically prompts a patient to put more grafts on one side than the other.  This, in my view, is a mistake.  If you're going to do one side, do the other as well.  You will not be lopsided.

yes, I got good results from medications, but my temples are still bald! :D
I do not like when people put more grafts on one side...totally agree with you!

Dr. Pekiner quoted me 2,700 grafts when he saw my pictures. But when he saw my hair in person, he brought that down to 2,200. I wouldn't worry too much about setting a definite number of grafts before your consultation. Because it's relatively hard to judge from pictures, the initial estimate is always going to be just that: an estimate. He's very much willing to hear your input and he really doesn't seem the type to push you for more grafts than you need. My consultation with him lasted almost one hour, discussing different hairlines etc. 

Edited by doctoroctopus
  • Like 1

@doctoroctopus the fact that in the picture you estimated 2700 grafts and then the visit has dropped to 2200 makes you understand how ethical and honest this surgeon is.  From Pekiner you pay the intervention to grafts, so if he had been some other doctor he would also perhaps have increased the number of grafts because this would have earned him more 'by not caring about your donor zone if he would have impoverished it.  So if you rely on Pekiner, be on the safe side.

• Like 1

• Administrators
4 hours ago, duchaine said:

I attached  the pic I sent to Pekiner. It is one of my worst pic ever....I look better in person but I was trying to have a brutal opinion.
I attached a pic of me "in real file" situation..

I think my big issue is parietal hair loss. 
Pekiner designed 2 lines (3000 and 2500 hair grafts)
Anyway, I'm worried to add grafts on my sides...I've seen some disasters!

78469828_2278801502412941_22597128614313984_n.jpg

76930058_493070167962063_5073203077838798848_n.jpg

I still think 3,000 is overkill for such a small area. I checked out your thread and saw that you have diffuse loss. It's wiser to conserve your grafts for the future.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

6 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I still think 3,000 is overkill for such a small area. I checked out your thread and saw that you have diffuse loss. It's wiser to conserve your grafts for the future.

Thanks for your attention Melvin. Pekiner said I'm a Norwood 4. I think I'm closer to N3 than N4. 
At the moment I can't see any problem expect for temples but I suppose that things can go wrong in the future. Considering I'm 42, what do you think it is a fair number to fix my temples?

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, duchaine said:

Thanks for your attention Melvin. Pekiner said I'm a Norwood 4. I think I'm closer to N3 than N4. 
At the moment I can't see any problem expect for temples but I suppose that things can go wrong in the future. Considering I'm 42, what do you think it is a fair number to fix my temples?

In my opinion, 2,000 grafts should suffice. You have good hair and the treatments are definitely working for you, but it's not where you are today, it's where you will be in 10-20 years from now, and I do think you'll need to save those grafts for the midscalp eventually. I think 2,000 would give you a good change and close the temples in with adequate density.

• Like 2

View my thread

@duchaine from the various threads seen around on other forums, I know that Pekiner is very conservative of the donor area, he does not extract more than he can serve and in any case he also does mega shaving sessions, in cases where the donor area of the neck is not  enough or if there was a need for high numbers of grafts, but I don't think that's your case, so you can feel comfortable if you rely on him.

• Like 1

I would go with Hasson and agree a provisional 2500.  Budget for an additional 500 grafts on the day if he finds more are needed.

• Like 1

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

On 11/26/2019 at 5:08 AM, LaserCap said:

Having dark hair and light scalp does not help you.  The contrast always makes it look worse than it is.  It would be nice if you could pull your hair up so we can see how far the corners run.  It also seems as if you are thin in the entire front.  2400-3000 grafts would be nice....and keep in mind a second procedure may be needed down the road, particularly if you lose more.  Are you doing any type of medical therapy to help you with retention?

Combing your hair straight back may be helping your crown a bit, but not the front.  It would be smarter if you combed to the side.  The hair would shingle and give the illusion of more density.  That does bring up a point.....

A part line always makes things worse. This typically prompts a patient to put more grafts on one side than the other.  This, in my view, is a mistake.  If you're going to do one side, do the other as well.  You will not be lopsided.

these are my asymmetrical temples!
I want to reduce the deep creeks (let say 2-3 cm) but I don't want that the doc works among my natural hairs (shock loss really scares me!)

77113552_955758348156718_7312587077374181376_n-2.jpg

There was a thread recently asking what those of us with HTs would do differently if we could do it over, and there were a lot of responses (myself included) from guys saying they could've been more conservative than they initially thought. So with that in mind, I would definitely go with the lower estimates - especially considering the relatively incredible state your hair is already in. 

• Like 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

14 minutes ago, pkipling said:

There was a thread recently asking what those of us with HTs would do differently if we could do it over, and there were a lot of responses (myself included) from guys saying they could've been more conservative than they initially thought. So with that in mind, I would definitely go with the lower estimates - especially considering the relatively incredible state your hair is already in. 

Long story short: I like my hair. I decided to have an HT  last summer because I felt stressed while I driving a cool convertible car with a nice chick close to me!
joke apart, I hate windy day or sweeting, because my hairline looks like Shit.
but after shower and blowdrying I like what I see in the mirror...
This is why I'm scared. I'm afraid that I try to improve my condition and get worse!

20 hours ago, duchaine said:

these are my asymmetrical temples!
I want to reduce the deep creeks (let say 2-3 cm) but I don't want that the doc works among my natural hairs (shock loss really scares me!)

77113552_955758348156718_7312587077374181376_n-2.jpg

While I understand what you are trying to accomplish....it is a mistake.  Let me explain.

If you've shown the propensity to lose, you will continue losing.  So expect the recession and all other loss to continue.  Thus, if you only work the temporal areas and nothing else, potentially you'll end up with a couple of horns.  So, medical therapy is imperative.  Blending grafts to adjacent areas not only keeps everything connected, it will add density to that area as well - which you seem to also have some weakness.

Typically, when the doctor is making recipient sites, (using a very sharp instrument), he'll inadvertently cut the native hair, (give you somewhat of a haircut). All that hair will just continue growing naturally.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LaserCap said:

Typically, when the doctor is making recipient sites, (using a very sharp instrument), he'll inadvertently cut the native hair, (give you somewhat of a haircut). All that hair will just continue growing naturally.  

If he cuts the native hair...doesn't that mean that native hair dies?

On 11/29/2019 at 1:04 PM, duchaine said:

Long story short: I like my hair. I decided to have an HT  last summer because I felt stressed while I driving a cool convertible car with a nice chick close to me!
joke apart, I hate windy day or sweeting, because my hairline looks like Shit.
but after shower and blowdrying I like what I see in the mirror...
This is why I'm scared. I'm afraid that I try to improve my condition and get worse!

Based on the pictures you posted showing that your hair seems to be in relatively great shape, I personally think you'd be well-suited to focus on doing the inner work and addressing this idea of wanting things to look perfect/presentibg yourself in a certain way in order to be accepted. I relate very much to what you're saying, and while there could be value in addressing the physical component of this, I think there's a lot of value for you in understanding for yourself that perfection isn't something any of us will attain... And particularly in regards to a romantic relationship, you best believe that a woman you date/settle down with will see you at a much "worse" state than having your hair blown back and your imperfect hairline being exposed... And that's the scary (and beautiful) part of being in a relationship and allowing yourself to be seen. If that core belief isn't addressed, I'm not so sure lowering the hairline is going to make much longterm difference. (Speaking from experience here, for what it's worth.) 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

16 hours ago, pkipling said:

Based on the pictures you posted showing that your hair seems to be in relatively great shape, I personally think you'd be well-suited to focus on doing the inner work and addressing this idea of wanting things to look perfect/presentibg yourself in a certain way in order to be accepted. I relate very much to what you're saying, and while there could be value in addressing the physical component of this, I think there's a lot of value for you in understanding for yourself that perfection isn't something any of us will attain... And particularly in regards to a romantic relationship, you best believe that a woman you date/settle down with will see you at a much "worse" state than having your hair blown back and your imperfect hairline being exposed... And that's the scary (and beautiful) part of being in a relationship and allowing yourself to be seen. If that core belief isn't addressed, I'm not so sure lowering the hairline is going to make much longterm difference. (Speaking from experience here, for what it's worth.) 

I don't try to obtain "a perfect hairline ".
I am just trying to fix an evident aesthetic defect.

Edited by duchaine

22 minutes ago, LaserCap said:

No, it's just like going to the barber.  The hair will continue growing.

the barber cuts the outer part of my hair. With his blade, the doc cuts the inner/bulb.
It doesn't sound to be the same thing

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/25/2019 at 8:33 PM, duchaine said:

my hairline is not really bad from the front, if sucks from the side.
graft suggested
Hasson 2500 FUE and 3000 FUT
Koray Edrogan 2400-2800
Pekiner 3000
(I do not want to name "low cost" clinic, promising 4000 graft...where should I place all that grafts?!?).
I choose Pekiner. I'll have my surgery in January 6th and 7th 2020.
I said that IMHO 300 is too much, especially considering I'm 41/42 years old.
From what I can see on this board, about 2300/2400 should be more than enough. What do you think?

73352322_3965348133490698_5313303148528402432_n.jpg

@duchaine-Will you have any grafts extracted from the beard?