Do I Have To Use ATP Spray After A Hair Transplant?

• Administrators

Have any of you guys used ATP spray post-operatively? I remember using saline spray after my first hair transplant to keep the grafts moist. I really don't think this is necessary, as I didn't use the spray for my other two procedures and they grew just fine. I've heard of some clinics charging up to $150 per bottle. I just don't think there is enough evidence to back up such a steep price what do you guys think?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

ASMED provided a bottle to me for my post-op and I used it liberally every 15-30 minutes the first 3-4 days post-op, i believe it helped but obviously can’t say conclusively. I think I may have read that ASMED changed their post-op protocol with ATP spray since my HT though.

Edited by CosmoKramer

• Moderators

It's hard to really know if it helps or not. Weather you use it or not, how can you really know 6 months later if your hair would have grown the same or not. I know True & Dorin recommend it and they charge about $150 for it. My personal opinion is if the Dr. thinks it will help then it's worth a few dollars more to use it and not wonder whether or not you're doing the best that you can for your transplanted hair.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

On 9/25/2019 at 8:36 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Have any of you guys used ATP spray post-operatively? I remember using saline spray after my first hair transplant to keep the grafts moist. I really don't think this is necessary, as I didn't use the spray for my other two procedures and they grew just fine. I've heard of some clinics charging up to $150 per bottle. I just don't think there is enough evidence to back up such a steep price what do you guys think?

I rather take the $150 and get a nice dinner.  The head is very vascular and grafts don't need additional help in the oxygen nor blood department.

I am aware of many groups trying to sell an array of products post surgery....with different nomenclature . It is just to make more money and offset some of the costs they incur. But at the end of the day grafts will grow just fine by themselves.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, LaserCap said:

I rather take the $150 and get a nice dinner.  The head is very vascular and grafts don't need additional help in the oxygen nor blood department.

I am aware of many groups trying to sell an array of products post surgery....with different nomenclature . It is just to make more money and offset some of the costs they incur. But at the end of the day grafts will grow just fine by themselves.

I agree. It doesn't hurt to try them, but as you said the $150 would be put to better use elsewhere heck you could probably buy a year supply of minoxidil for that money.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I would recommend it for patients that may have slow healing or poor circulation, vascular issues, diabetes, etc.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Moderators
11 hours ago, LaserCap said:

Fair enough. Everyone has their own experiences. If you've had a hair transplant and your hair grew well without using ATP spray then I imagine you would be someone who would think it's not worth it. For myself as someone who had MANY hair transplants (more than twice as many as anyone else I've ever heard of) and still doesn't have much hair growing and has now resorted to using thousands of body hair grafts, it's worth a few extra dollars to try to find some way to get the grafts to grow.

Back in the 80's and early 90's I was given a bottle of rubbing alcohol and a bottle of hydrogen peroxide after every hair transplant and had to dab both of them on the strip scar and on the grafts to prevent infections. Now those are supposedly horrible things to do because they kill the grafts and dry them out. Who knows. Some places don't even give antibiotics afterwards anymore.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Out of 3 procedures. I can say it makes a big difference. 
but I use h2ocean the tattoo spray. 
my recovery time was so fast my doctor actually asked me what I was doing because people don’t usually recover that fast. Now I probably over used the stuff. I used every 1hr for the first 8 days. I went through a bottles of the stuff but results speak for themselves in my case. 
I know it works because I did not use on my first procedure and my recovery was definitely longer. 

On 9/27/2019 at 10:40 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

I agree. It doesn't hurt to try them, but as you said the $150 would be put to better use elsewhere heck you could probably buy a year supply of minoxidil for that money.

$150?? H2ocean is like $10 bucks a bottle. Lol 

Interested to know what clinics are charging $150 a bottle for?  You can get saline spray in pharmacy for like a few pounds/euros/dollars!

I believe regular irrigation of the grafts can help reduce scabbing.  On my first op there was an small area of very heavy scabbing which didn't grow in well..   Think it may have been more than a coincidence..

Definitely more than a coincidence!

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY