Richard Keller MD/3125 follicular units/Class 6 diffuse hair loss pattern

30 year old whose objective was to thicken mid scalp & to reduce his crown area from a class 6 vertex to a 3/4 class. After an extended consultation with me to discuss his class 6 family history of hair loss we decided on a FUT procedure, so that in the future if he loses more hair another procedure could be performed. 3125 FU were utilized and a two layer closure of the donor area was performed to limit scar expansion. Photos shown are pre-op & one year post-op.

DSCN1011.thumb.jpg.4e2dd7068413323c7abaa008af9552ba.jpg

DSCN1014.thumb.jpg.ca077bd9188d60c496767ba10b1ecec0.jpg

DSCN1017.thumb.jpg.15e6f6b847b600606962a3427d7ea926.jpg

DSCN1019.thumb.jpg.9b4b67fbb7f8b1d8ec9b4c98b35a71c7.jpg

DSCN1010.thumb.jpg.70bc21a0a008e0eabf2e9f225780a2b3.jpg

DSCN3553.thumb.jpg.980010d23b58a018d2c3eccba39661c0.jpg

DSCN3539.thumb.jpg.9d69e076a6dab46dbbce19de08ee5d45.jpg

DSCN3550.thumb.jpg.bfabe921012c9583bd7d1ee9fba5f75e.jpg

DSCN3546.thumb.jpg.976718c275f1950ec74cebbefee4dff5.jpg

DSCN3541.thumb.jpg.33414ae7f3992bcf7bcffdc12a9f3671.jpg

Dr. Keller is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

Hi Dr Keller,

Thank you for posting my results. Since 3 of 5 preop pictures show my crown could you please provide the same pictures(crown only) for my postop results so hair restoration network membera can give comments. Also, I would like you to include grafts count.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • Administrators

Hi Dr. Keller,

According to the patient his front hairline was not transplanted. I recommend removing that portion of your post and leaving just the “thicken the midscalp and crown” portion. Also, I recommend posting some photos of the crown and top down view, so we can appropriately gauge the results. 

Thank you for your participation and presentation.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 4/30/2018 at 11:25 PM, chicago2017 said:

Hi Dr Keller,

Thank you for posting my results. Since 3 of 5 preop pictures show my crown could you please provide the same pictures(crown only) for my postop results so hair restoration network membera can give comments. Also, I would like you to include grafts count.

Thanks in advance.

@chicago2017,

Since Dr. Keller may not see this post for awhile, feel free to post your own photos showing your results and share a detailed account of your experience.  I understand you didn’t get grafts put into the hairline, but the mid section and crown look good according to the above photos.  If you can take photos of your scalp from the top down or of the crown alone, we’d be able to provide our comments based on your photos as well.  

Best wishes,

Bill

P.S. I’ve take the liberty of editing Dr. Keller’s post to remove the part about the frontal area being transplanted. 

Hello,

This patient was a 6V pattern and received a total of 3,125 FU.  The extra 125 grafts were given to the patient.  The patient declined the use of propecia and uses minoxidil once daily and ketoconazol 2% shampoo weekly, so maximal medical management is not being utilized.  Grafts were placed into the front hairline providing selective density and the mid-scalp was filled in leaving conservative filling in of the crown.  Patient was advised of realistic expectations with the possible need of 1500-1800 grafts in the future.  Attached are photos showing intra-op, and 1 year post-op.

DSCN1022.JPG

DSCN1021.JPG

DSCN9576.JPG

Dr. Keller is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

• Administrators

Thank you for your response Dr. Keller,

How many grafts were used specifically in the crown? 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I’m asking before I upset anyone, are Dr Keller’s images of this patient’s HT misleading? It seems strange on his initial post to promote this case that Top down shots were not provided and only were on request by Bill & Melvin. 

Hi All,

I understand that I cannot have density as before but what is point of having result like this. It is better to do not have HT at all. During my consultation Dr Keller said I will have a good results. He did not mention anything about second surgery during my initial consultation. During my 1-year post op he said that I need another surgery if I want a better density that my results are good and expectations unrealistic. In my opinion my final result is not good. During 4 months post op he said I can expect poster results, during 7 months post op visit that my density will double. None of this happened. Five months ago I have asked for post op pictures showing crown to be posted, it happened now after moderators asked.  

This clinic voluntarily chose to post these pictures as great work .. knowing its deceptive .. it’s probably because there aren’t that many great results ..

thanks Chicago for speaking out ..

Brahmabull , I’m worried for u now buddy, I know u went to dr Keller .. n haven’t been happy so far ..

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/22/2018 at 1:09 AM, Legend007 said:

This clinic voluntarily chose to post these pictures as great work .. knowing its deceptive .. it’s probably because there aren’t that many great results ..

thanks Chicago for speaking out ..

Brahmabull , I’m worried for u now buddy, I know u went to dr Keller .. n haven’t been happy so far ..

I don't know if I would really consider this a terrible result

His crown was enormous and nearly slick bald. He has lot a ton in the middle there also

His crown looks way less bald after the surgery and you're not going to go from a NW6 to a NW3 with 1 transplant anyways

3 hours ago, AnalogFeel said:

I don't know if I would really consider this a terrible result

His crown was enormous and nearly slick bald. He has lot a ton in the middle there also

His crown looks way less bald after the surgery and you're not going to go from a NW6 to a NW3 with 1 transplant anyways

Yeah, I'm torn here.  As a guy who is 3 weeks post-op with a similar loss pattern but an even more burned-out crown my expectations are something a little denser than this, but not the full restoration of my 20 year-old self.  

Expectations are a lot of this.  I see people with more hair calling themselves botched while someone with less hair but different expectations might be thrilled.  Me, I know that I've been a successful guy with women and professionally in spite of having my entire crown balder than the OP since my mid-20s.  Simply not having a yarmulke of skin up there will represent the best I've been in over a decade.

From experience of a guy who balded massively and very young in my crown but not my hairline I will say people (women) don't sweat your crown as much as your hairline.  There's been the odd date where I think a girl was surprised to see a huge crop circle in my head after I looked like a NW3 or so in my photos, but in most cases it seemed to matter more to me than them.  It matters even less if you happen to be exceptionally tall as I am.

I do agree that the doc's after photos are kinda misleading.  We're not comparing like to like here by not showing that top shot.  

I disagree with the OP that it wasn't worth doing, or that people are going to think it's a botch.  OP does look a lot better and more full on top.  It's not an A+ result, that's for sure, but it would be passable to me.  Propecia and 2x a day minox also might help over time.