FUE to restore temples and hairline with Dr Bisanga - February 2018

bennyt89

So tomorrow is the big day, after about 6 or 7 years of patience, research and preparation I'm finally here. Just starting this post as a placeholder as I am very intent on keeping regular updates coming through. As I've found the same threads from fellow patients so crucial in my own research to get to this point. And will be leaning on you guys for support throughout the journey no doubt. I've come off a 36 hour flight to Brussels so apologies if I start rambling :)

Just a summary of my story so far. I'm 29 years old in a few months, at about a NW2.5 borderline 3, first noticed MPB when I was about 19. After worrying about it off and on for a few years at 22 I booked a consultation with a HT Doctor who happened to be situated in my city, I went in and rather than speaking to her directly I was speaking to a rather pushy sales rep. However in my emotional state I was looking for what I wanted to hear, which he happily provided in the form of FUT surgery. Luckily I had the common sense to go away and research first and I came across this forum, safe to say I couldn't really find anything positive about this particular doctor, had I gone with her this most likely would've been a thread about a scar repair job than a first HT. So I decided to put that idea to bed for now and go down the Fin route.

I stuck with Fin permanently after that and it really helped slow the hairloss to a crawl. That combined with some careful styling and hairspray I was a pro at being able to give the appearance of a pretty impressive head of hair. However it's getting harder and harder now, and I'm not the type that suits the bald or receding look. My goal is to basically get my hair to a point where I'm not constantly worried about how it looks and if I've covered up my receding temples properly, and I can be more flexible with styling options.

Through my research I came across Dr Bisanga and was impressed with his body of work and plenty of positive reviews. Swooping who is one of his reps has been incredibly helpful, I've been conversing with him off and on for the past 8 or so months and he's always been there to answer any questions or concerns, which apart from the quality of work from Dr B was a major factor in my decision. At this stage it appears I'll be somewhere in the vicinity of 1,600 (conservative) to 2,000 (aggressive) grafts to restore my temples and very slightly lower my hairline.

So here goes nothing, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous. But I feel like I've done all the right things in terms of being patient on the Fin, doing my research and picking a reputable surgeon.

TL;DR - 29 year old, NW2.5/3, been balding slowly since 19. Been on Fin 6 to 7 years. HT with Dr Bisanga tomorrow.

Pics to follow once available.

I took a (very long) flight from Singapore to Belgium which ended up being about 35 hours in total after layovers etc. once I finally got to my hotel room i was in full zombie mode. I responsibly decided to just basically have a good dinner and rest for the big day the following morning.

Pre Op: I arrived at BHR Clinic at 7am, there was a very friendly nurse waiting for me at reception. I filled out the usual consent, waivers and legal stuff before I went to see Dr Bisanga. Super friendly guy and his demeanour puts you at ease straight away, but at the same time you can really tell he runs a tight ship and holds all his staff to a very high standard.

We went over my goals to restore the temples and lower hairline, he took some photos and did the examination of donor strength etc.. He drew a hairline that was basically exactly what I was after, after one minor change it was action time.

The procedure: So as for the hair transplant itself, basically painless start to finish like others have pointed out. The only painful bit is the local anaesthetic shots, they sting like a mutha.. but still bearable. Dr Bisanga does the punching of the donor site and incisions in the recipient. His technicians will harvest the grafts and do the placement in the recepient, Dr B will come in and out at this stage to check it's up to standard. The whole procedure felt smooth start to finish.

Post Op: we finished quite late, so was given instructions for that night and then a follow up appointment the following morning to go over the longer term care. Which I just got back from then. All up I am very very happy with my decision to go with BHR and Dr Bisanga. The level of professionalism and care really goes a long way when you're going through such a massive event.

I have a tiny bit of swelling but not much in the way of pain yet. So far so good!

Now to prep for the long flight back home :)

Any thoughts on pre and post op pics guys??

On a side note even though I tried my best to avoid, my face looks like I've gone 10 rounds with a prime Mike Tyson. Lucky I've made it home after the big flight from Europe so time to relax and guard these precious grafts :)

Dear Bennyt89,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with Dr. Bisanga and BHR Clinic staff.

We are very pleased to hear you had a positive experience at the clinic.

Pictures are very clear and not it's time to rest for a few days and follow the post-op instructions.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need anything.

Kind regards,

So almost at the end of Day 4. The swelling has gone down a bit and I'm now allowed to sleep flat on my back rather than upright. Also noticed the recepient is not as red and starting to develop some scabs as well.

However my donor is incredibly itchy which is not helping with getting quality sleep :( .. will keep applying the saline as often as I can. Definitely sucks though.

Anyone who's had itching know how long it generally lasts?

Some pics Day 5 post HT. Noticed this morning that a small crust has already come off, which seems quite early, was thinking this would happen more after 10 days.

If you're wondering what the blackish dot is in the centre left. About 20 minutes after I left the clinic and took off the bandana and saw that spot which was more red and naturally freaked out. Luckily Dr Bisanga examined and it was just a small clot, and the grafts underneath were still in safely in place (phew)

IMG_6873.thumb.jpg.47c22895c98737d3f86605d78d937ad9.jpg

IMG_6874.thumb.jpg.6839d62f3fbf17adc7e2c6dc0707f257.jpg

IMG_6875.thumb.jpg.477394b0ebbbf4463c5d782abf8cf3b1.jpg

IMG_6876.thumb.jpg.035e760dea372823272794bf737bd594.jpg

I think you made the right decision by avoiding the first doc, waiting 5+ years for a procedure, sticking to fin, and choosing a GOOD doctor. I am confident you'll have great results for the long run. I'll be following your work closely-particularly around months 6-8.

I myself am 24 years old and am considering a procedure with this doctor in about a year or two.

Excellent write up! The work looks clean!

Any precautionary measure while flying back home?

I did a 32 hour flight (including layovers) to get to Brussels on the Sunday, slept off the jetlag and surgery Monday all day, went in for a wash and final check Tuesday and flew out that night. 15 hours back to Singapore (then spent the night at a transit hotel) and another 5 hour flight the next day home.

It's doable but definitely stressful, but for me I wanted to be at home to recover not in a hotel room. Especially on the long haul flight back I really had to fight the urge to not fall asleep at risk of nodding off and hitting my head on the side, plus just always being wary of people accidentally knocking you on the head since I'm in close quarters economy.

#1 thing I'd recommend is always check in early and get a window seat, even better if it's near the toilet as well. The only annoying thing is getting up every 2 hours to spray the saline in the toilet and climbing over seats and people. Also at the end of the flight when everyone's rushing to get their luggage out of the cabin I just sat back and waited until most people were off the plane.

Apart from that I had no real trouble from security as I was wearing a bandana, and had a bit of swelling on the home stretch but no biggie.

Donor area 12 days post op. Most of the grafts were extracted from the side of my head and a smaller amount from the back.

Really impressed how little scarring there is, to be honest I can't notice any personally. I'm sure a more trained eye could pinpoint some but seems like really clean work.

IMG_6931.JPG.ee76a34cae83bbd2793fd0bd95fb6a9b.JPG

IMG_6936.JPG.45aa527a9f035bf01f53ba386e541a9e.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Donor area 12 days post op. Most of the grafts were extracted from the side of my head and a smaller amount from the back.

Really impressed how little scarring there is, to be honest I can't notice any personally. I'm sure a more trained eye could pinpoint some but seems like really clean work.

can u share your recent progress pics?

• 5 months later...