19 years old

Yeah, I'm 19 and I've lost hair slowly since I was 15 and all my youth have been taken away from me. This hairloss have literally destroyed my life, I have never known the true meaning of happiness and a good self-estem so far in my 19 years on this earth. I have also been on sucide watch several times because of this.

Since this hairloss has been a serious concern for me, my parents and I have decided that I should do a hair transplant. In the future. The hairloss have been pretty rapid and I don't know how much I can take anymore. I just can't take or handle all those emotions that come with it. My plan to do a hair transplant is summer 2019, by then I will be 22. I wanna live the resten of my twenties with happienes, therefore I cant afford to wait much longer than that. My destination for hair transplant will definitely be turkey and since I have heard lots of good things about dr koray erdogan, he is the one i have in my mind now, but that can certainly change. The price for me is not that important, quality is.

Please judge my hair and give some time on when I'm a candidate for a HT. Here is some pics of my hair so far: IMG_2523.jpg

IMG_2534.jpg

IMG_2536.jpg

IMG_2537.png

IMG_2538.png

imag

Ps: the bald scar on the right hand side of my head is not something i got from the actual hairloss. I got that when I was 6 years old because of a tragedy whitin my family.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd have to say you're headed for a Norwood 6. Thats the bad news.

The good news is from looking at the top of your head you seem to have a fairly narrow bald scalp.

This is good, because that would require less grafts then someone has a very wide, rounded scalp.

You also seem to have good colour contrast (darker scalp, dark hair).

I'd say overall you're a good candidate for a HT, and I would go see a reputable doctor ASAP.

You will for sure need 2 transplants though

The good news is from looking at the top of your head you seem to have a fairly narrow bald scalp.

This is good, because that would require less grafts then someone has a very wide, rounded scalp

What I meant by wide, rounded scalp is something like this:

hqdefault.jpg

The more curve, the more real estate a transplant has to cover.

You dont have that though, so thats good

What I meant by wide, rounded scalp is something like this:

hqdefault.jpg

The more curve, the more real estate a transplant has to cover.

You dont have that though, so thats good

You're right. I've always known that i'd at least need 2 HTs. How many grafts do u think is reasonable for someone who undergo 2 hts? For example: first surgery: 2400 grafts. Second surgery: 2400 again. So 4800 grafts in total?

Very hard for a 19 year old to deal with this. When the mental health aspect of hair loss is taken into account it really does surprise me that there isn't more urgency within mainstream society to increase research funding for better treatments.

You're right. I've always known that i'd at least need 2 HTs. How many grafts do u think is reasonable for someone who undergo 2 hts? For example: first surgery: 2400 grafts. Second surgery: 2400 again. So 4800 grafts in total?

Hard to say from those pics because I dont know what your hair density is (hairs per cm2).

My guess is you're probably close, around 4,500 to 6,000 grafts. Somewhere in between.

It depends if you wanna do your crown or leave it alone.

It also depends how high up you wanna do your hairline.

Some guys are perfectly happy leaving their crown alone, and looking from your pics you dont look to be a severe Norwood 6 (somewhere between a NW5 and a NW6, although its hard to tell from just a few images).

You also have good lateral humps, which will decrease the amount of grafts you need midscalp.

All in all I think you'll be a good HT candidate.

So life is good, dont jump off a cliff and kill yourself just yet ;)

So, I guess I'll be the negative Nancy in the room.

Have you thought about a hair system? Google northwest lace forum and check that out.

Also, Google sly bald guys forum. This is for guys that shave their head and also for moral support.

I believe both of these forums are currently a better place for you. If you want hair, only a system will get you the density of someone in their teens and twenties that you are looking for (with your level of hair loss). There are plenty of guys that are young and have been helped there.

The only way to live a "care free" life (as hair systems are not) is to bite the bullet and shave it. The sly bald guy forum is great for guys in your situation for support. They teach confidence there as well.

If you are insistent on a transplant, which I believe you are not a good candidate due to age and aggressive nature of your loss, you really need to be on a dht inhibitor imo.

Either way, good luck to you.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

So, I guess I'll be the negative Nancy in the room.

Have you thought about a hair system? Google northwest lace forum and check that out.

Also, Google sly bald guys forum. This is for guys that shave their head and also for moral support.

I believe both of these forums are currently a better place for you. If you want hair, only a system will get you the density of someone in their teens and twenties that you are looking for (with your level of hair loss). There are plenty of guys that are young and have been helped there.

The only way to live a "care free" life (as hair systems are not) is to bite the bullet and shave it. The sly bald guy forum is great for guys in your situation for support. They teach confidence there as well.

If you are insistent on a transplant, which I believe you are not a good candidate due to age and aggressive nature of your loss, you really need to be on a dht inhibitor imo.

Either way, good luck to you

HUH????????? Spanker, are you drunk (not that there's anything wrong with that)???????

• Administrators

It breaks my heart to see these threads because I know how it feels to go bald young, it's said that you never stop caring about hair loss, but when you're a teen it is so much more important I don't care what anyone says, I lost my hair in my late 20's and still felt robbed.

With that said, you are not a good candidate, it looks like you may have alopecia areata as well, as I see a bald spot the size of a quarter that is not mpb, add to the fact that you're likely going to be a Norwood 7, I really don't think there will be enough hair for you to move and be happy, a bald crown at 19 is unacceptable.

I agree with Spanker, at this point a hair system is your best bet, you deserve a teenage hairline with density, and a transplant can not give you that unfortunately, when you're older in 10-15 years maybe you can revisit the idea of a transplant once it's a little more socially acceptable to have a bald crown or mature hairline.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
HUH????????? Spanker, are you drunk (not that there's anything wrong with that)???????

Believe me Dutchie he will be more than a Norwood 6, he's only begun his hair loss journey, his safe zone is impossible to know since he could lose a lot more hair in his 20's. Add the fact that no transplant is guaranteed, if a failed transplant is hard for a 50 year old to deal with imagine being 20. I think he'd be overall more satisfied with a hair system and there's less risk involved. If he decides he doesn't want to wear a hair system he can shave his head and move on with no scars.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Foreverblue,

You're hair loss is quite advanced for your age but I never discourage anyone from consulting with a few skilled hair restoration physicians for the best possible advice.

Are you using Propecia (finasteride) and Rogaine (minoxidil)? If not, I recommend discussing these drugs with your doctor. They may slow the progression of your hair loss and even regrow some hair.

Some other options you may consider are Scalp Micropigmentation (SMP), Body Hair Transplantation (BHT) or a compbiantion of a conservative FUE with SMP.

The important thing to note is that, with such advanced hair loss, you will not be able to achieve a dense, juvenile hairline like your many other guys your age. You'll need to have realistic expectations.

If you stick to ethical and experienced hair transplant surgeons like those we recommend, you'll get realistic advice.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

• Administrators

Take a look at this video, this guy is 20 and has density that could not be achieved with surgery.

View my thread

Foreverblue i hate to sound like a negative jerk but your hair loss is extreme at your age. I don't think you can pull off a good result with any number of transplants and unlimited money. If you go down the road of hair transplants i think you will never be satisfied. I know it sucks but try shaving your head and just being happy with who you are. Focus on other aspects of yourself and your life. Millions of people live without hair.

Dwelling on it for the rest of your life isn't going to do anyone any good.

Here's the deal -- you're probably not going to want a hair system because everybody would know that's what you did given the current level of your loss. You already buzz your hair down now, so if I were you I'd go the route of SMP. You would buzz down even further than you do currently but you would get the SMP to fill in the thinning areas. Everybody who knows you would just think you shaved your head and I guarantee you'd get a lot of compliments and your self esteem would go thru the roof.

It would be cheaper than an HT and virtually maintenance free other than the touch ups every couple of years. It would also be a sporty and trendy look for somebody your age.

It's a no brainer!

ForeverBlue,

I truly understand the mental pain you are in. I am in my mid 20's and have been losing hair since late teens heading towards nw6, so trust me when i say that i empathize with you. Also heed HTsoon's advice as he to has a similar hair loss in his 20s.

I am going to keep my message short and go straight to the point as I dont wanna confuse you with to many words.

1) Dont even think about having a transplant until you are at least in mid 20s.

2) Shave your head and hit the gym. Browse sly bald guys for support.

It is very easy to get confused/tempted in one's teens. Dont browse this forum too much under the name of doing research. Transplants are a one way street. You can get a transplant at any time. But once you get one, there is no turning back. Its irreversible. Postpone the idea of getting a transplant.

I repeat. NO TRANSPLANT and SHAVE YOUR HEAD.

Believe me Dutchie he will be more than a Norwood 6, he's only begun his hair loss journey, his safe zone is impossible to know since he could lose a lot more hair in his 20's. Add the fact that no transplant is guaranteed, if a failed transplant is hard for a 50 year old to deal with imagine being 20. I think he'd be overall more satisfied with a hair system and there's less risk involve

You're probably right.

I just like to think maybe Dr. Umar can work his miracles and stuff

My destination for hair transplant will definitely be turkey and since I have heard lots of good things about dr koray erdogan, he is the one i have in my mind now,

I don't have anything much to add to the great advice already given.

You should try to listen to the main message being conveyed that a HT is not the best approach in your case.

Will just add (1) that their are apparently experimental treatments for alopecia areata that you can research.

Drug Restores Hair Growth in Patients with Alopecia Areata - Columbia University Medical Center

(2) And if you do go the HT option further down the line when you're a bit older and able to control your condition, let your donor hair grow longer as Dr. Erdogan has been known to reject patients with advanced hairloss who have sent shaved down photos from what I've read here.

good luck

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Believe me Dutchie he will be more than a Norwood 6, he's only begun his hair loss journey, his safe zone is impossible to know since he could lose a lot more hair in his 20's. Add the fact that no transplant is guaranteed, if a failed transplant is hard for a 50 year old to deal with imagine being 20. I think he'd be overall more satisfied with a hair system and there's less risk involved. If he decides he doesn't want to wear a hair system he can shave his head and move on with no scars

HTsoon, I have to respectfully disagree.

I think with the lateral humps he has, a good surgeon can come up with a fairly decent, good result.

Its gonna take a lot of work though :cool:

Believe me Dutchie he will be more than a Norwood 6, he's only begun his hair loss journey, his safe zone is impossible to know since he could lose a lot more hair in his 20's. Add the fact that no transplant is guaranteed, if a failed transplant is hard for a 50 year old to deal with imagine being 20

I hear you bro. BTW I'm on my 12th vodka right now, so take my post FWIW......LOL :cool:

I have to against the grain here and say he's a really good NW6 candidate.

Just look at his lateral humps!! Move the hairline north, and for about 5,000 to 6,000 grafts I thinks he's good to go, dammit!!

IMG_2537.png

I dont know why some of you dont think im a suitable candidate. I mean, my hair loss have probably come a bit early, and we dont excatly how it's gonna develop at all. Most hair loss result in bald crown area but if you look under my crown area, you can see I have completely strong hair. Anyway, with that said, I'd be happy with even 1 HT if that means I'm not gonna be COMPLETELY bald. I don't wanna be completely bald.

PS: I have always kept a very natural lifestyle with 0% drugs intake so far, and I don't have any plan to change that.