Doctor offered second session.

My ht doctor offered second session as i am not satisfied with the density of the hair transplant

I do not have any hairloss in my family so i went on to a HT in july 2014 and thought i would create stronger temples and lowered my hairline a bit.

My brother also had the same doctor as i had july 2013 and he has gotten good results without hiding anything (he can have his hair spiked for example, i have to hide my hairline now cuz of bad density..

For example, i do not have the confidence to go to the barber, as some areas, have very little density. I dont believe i have the worst results when im looking at horror transplants, but i do want to add some density to it to be fully confident of my hair. For example i need to have the hair at an exact length, otherwise you can see the poor density at some areas.

My question is, should i use the same doctor for a follow up procedure? The only reason im considering it now is because my brother had good results with him.

I have to add, i didnt had a good diet untill late april 2015, then i started on multivitamins and had a fairly better diet, im wondering if my poor diet had anything to do with poor growth? My brother always had good diet.

Edited by hairfix

I have to add, i didnt had a good diet untill late april 2015, then i started on multivitamins and had a fairly better diet, im wondering if my poor diet had anything to do with poor growth? My brother always had good diet.

Yes, absolutely. Although most doctors won't discuss a diet plan with you (usually because they're not educated in nutrition) it is the most critical component in deciding your post surgery results.

If you're eating lots of gluten, processed foods and preservatives and not getting enough healthy fats and protein then you're creating a far from ideal environment for your new hairs to flourish.

A good multi-vitamin and biotin supplement will also make a world of difference in your results!

Do you consider him to be a very good surgeon who you'd still trust to perform the surgery after already having one failed result? That's probably the most important thing.

As for the diet, I guess it depends on how bad it was. I don't think it would affect the outcome too much unless you literally ate nothing but candy and french fries.

The questions the others raised here are very important to consider. If the doctor is offering to do a complimentary second session since you're unsatisfied and you trust that he's a solid, reputable surgeon based on your brother's experience with him as well as other patients' results, then I don't see why you shouldn't do it. I would talk to the surgeon though and ask him (as well as yourself) a few questions: Does he have any ideas why it didn't work so well the first time? If so, what does he see being different the second time around? Are you taking finasteride? If not, is this something you would consider going forward? Just exactly how poor was your diet, and how much have you improved it? Nutrition does play a bigger role in many aspects of our health than we realize, so this is definitely something worth looking into. What other lifestyle differences do you and your brother have? Are you a smoker, and he's not, for example?

These are the types of questions I think you need to be asking yourself as you make this decision. Ultimately, you're the only one who can make the decision going forward, and I think the more you explore all of this, the more clarity you'll have about what direction you should take.

Providing before/after pictures would also be a huge help so that users here can get a good idea of your situation. Good luck, man!

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

If an individual is not happy with the results from an initial procedure, they rarely are happy with the subsequent one from the same doctor. That's been my observation over the years.

Anyway, it would be helpful to see some before and after photos in order to see what the exact concerns are. I think sometimes we are our own biggest critic when it comes to our own appearance.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

It depends who they are. I agree with Gillenator to some extent. I have seen it as kind of a 50/50. David the moderator had a second session with his first doc and was fairly happy I believe, but many are not. The advantage to going to another doc is that if you choose a very good one and it doesn't work out, you know it probably is not the doc. If you go to the same one, you and it doesn't work out, you are going to kick yourself for using up so much donor. It is a tough decision.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I think the problem lies with your expectations. Hair transplants rarely achieve native density. Rather, the goal is to create the illusion of density. Your pre-HT pictures depict someone with barely any sign of MPB. (Honestly, if most guys on this forum had your hair pre-HT they would have been quite happy (myself included) and not done surgery.)

Moving forward I'd say you're probably safe going with your current surgeon, you just need more grafts. But it doesn't appear he did anything wrong per se.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

You were around 25bwhen you had surgery? That kind of surprised me. I agree, you need more grafts especially in the center triangle of miniaturization in the front. If you were 35 and never been on meds I would say to be more aggressive, but at your age, especially if you aren't on preventive meds, it makes me nervous to shoot a ton of grafts in such a small area. How many grafts is your doc suggesting? Are you sure you don't have any mpb?

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

You were around 25bwhen you had surgery? That kind of surprised me. I agree, you need more grafts especially in the center triangle of miniaturization in the front. If you were 35 and never been on meds I would say to be more aggressive, but at your age, especially if you aren't on preventive meds, it makes me nervous to shoot a ton of grafts in such a small area. How many grafts is your doc suggesting? Are you sure you don't have any mpb?

Yeah i was 25 when i had surgery

He hasn't suggested anything as he wants to see me in person before saying anything.i think i need 300-500 grafts in total and thats stretching it. I do not have any hairloss on my family, as my dad had really nice hair, unfortunately for me i was born with a huge forehead, thats why it bothered me alot. My moms dad also had a good head of hair, thats why i did it.

And to be honest, i do regret having surgery because the only reason i wanted surgery in the first place was to have a natural look (which is obviously hard as a transplant). Now i have dwelt for the past 7 months and finally contacted my doctor about my issues.

I just want to be happy. I have felt really depressed about this for the past 7 months (thats when 18 months were up) and realized it wasnt going to be perfect just sucks. Thats why i asked you guys in the first place if i should do a second procedure or not. To be honest i am a perfectionist on hair transplant thats why im so depressed. i want it to be perfect.

How many grafts do you guys think i need to achieve a natural look? I am not interested into lower my hairline further more, i just want to have a natural look.

Edited by hairfix

When there is that much density to begin with, the risk is shocking out what is already there.

If it were me, I would not be doing any surgery with hair mass like that.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

When there is that much density to begin with, the risk is shocking out what is already there.

If it were me, I would not be doing any surgery with hair mass like that.

I agree....

This particular case bothers me on different levels to be honest.

Especially when it comes to grafting in where there is native hair strong or weak.

Also when I see patients having a small surgery for just a few hundred grafts as I feel the cons will out weigh pros = more chance of permanent shock loss & can not guarantee that all of the new folicals will take.

• Moderators

Why were you even thinking about having a hair transplant in the first place? I don't see any hair loss.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

So lets get this right.

he was 25 yrs old with very little or any hairloss, wanted to lower his hairline down, he states hes a perfectionist & wanting a perfect HT, not on any meds I believe & some people say its not a bad idea to go back to the same Doctor?

Is it me or am I missing something here?

My ht doctor offered second session as i am not satisfied with the density of the hair transplant

I do not have any hairloss in my family so i went on to a HT in july 2014 and thought i would create stronger temples and lowered my hairline a bit.

My brother also had the same doctor as i had july 2013 and he has gotten good results without hiding anything (he can have his hair spiked for example, i have to hide my hairline now cuz of bad density..

For example, i do not have the confidence to go to the barber, as some areas, have very little density. I dont believe i have the worst results when im looking at horror transplants, but i do want to add some density to it to be fully confident of my hair. For example i need to have the hair at an exact length, otherwise you can see the poor density at some areas.

My question is, should i use the same doctor for a follow up procedure? The only reason im considering it now is because my brother had good results with him.

Did you get poor results or poor growth?

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

So lets get this right.

he was 25 yrs old with very little or any hairloss, wanted to lower his hairline down, he states hes a perfectionist & wanting a perfect HT, not on any meds I believe & some people say its not a bad idea to go back to the same Doctor?

Is it me or am I missing something here?

No, IMHO you are not missing anything...you are spot on and I for one agree with you 100%...;)

Gillenator

• 3 weeks later...

After seeing the photos, I don't see why you had the hair transplant in the first place - and I don't believe a followup procedure is going to make you any happier. When you're starting off being so nit-picky about the state of your hair and have what seem to be very unrealistic expectations, I believe it's unlikely that you would have ever been/will be satisfied with whatever outcome you had (or do have).

I think it would be a mistake on your part to continue down this path without first seriously evaluating not only your expectations and perfectionist tendencies, but the state of your unhappiness as well. I think this could help you far greater than continuing down the road of potentially unsatisfactory hair transplants would.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56