PRP worth it?

So I'm booking my surgery this week and while I can probably add it if it decide otherwise. I'm curious as to whether most people given the option, add PRP unto their HT surgery?

I think with ASMED it's an additional 300 euros which I don't mind paying but it the concensus is it makes little or no difference then I might skip it. Thoughts?

I would go for it. It may not make a significant diffirence, but I have heard it helps speed up the recovery and growth. I would go for it, esp for only 300 euros (relative to amount you are paying for the whole surgery). Also, if you skip it, then I bet you will wonder "what if....). I asked Dr Rahall if he offered it, and he told me he doesn't because in his opinion it doesn't make a difference and views it as stealing money from patients. Dr Cooley, Wesley and Shapiro have different opinions, and believe it does make a difference.

I would go for it. It may not make a significant diffirence, but I have heard it helps speed up the recovery and growth. I would go for it, esp for only 300 euros (relative to amount you are paying for the whole surgery). Also, if you skip it, then I bet you will wonder "what if....). I asked Dr Rahall if he offered it, and he told me he doesn't because in his opinion it doesn't make a difference and views it as stealing money from patients. Dr Cooley, Wesley and Shapiro have different opinions, and believe it does make a difference.

Thanks Mav, I think I might just opt for it. Part of me is looking for small ways to save money as its a pretty expensive operation but then at the same time I flip the argument around and tell myself that in the grand scheme of things, an extra couple of hundred euros is nothing and considering I'm already starting to compile post-surgery tips on how to maximize healing and regrowth its probably short sighted not to opt for it.

I have met a lot of Italians that have had PRP and none saw any difference in it. The only difference is that their wallet became smaller.

....). I asked Dr Rahall if he offered it, and he told me he doesn't because in his opinion it doesn't make a difference and views it as stealing money from patients.

In my opinion and my years of experience I have to agree with this.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

I have met a lot of Italians that have had PRP and none saw any difference in it. The only difference is that their wallet became smaller.

In my opinion and my years of experience I have to agree with this.

See I'd made a decision and now you've ruined it :D .. now curious as to how many of the top surgeon (that get the usual mentions on here) offer PRP. I guess its one of those things that has possibly shown to make a small difference and therefore its offered. Asmed's site does specifically state "We suggest PRP treatment to all our patients following our clinical observations; nevertheless, it is needed to specify that no official study has been presented yet, this is why we propose the treatment as optional. ". As it stands, I only need to pay the deposit at the moment and confirm number of days I'm staying (for them to book the hotel), no mention of PRP on the booking form so I guess I can decide closer to the actual surgery.

LOL that was not my intentions. PRP has been around for many years but I have never seen a great before and after picture (when only doing PRP) that convinces me that it works. It is possible that it makes a small difference so for 300 euros you may want to take the chance. The Italians in Italy can pay over 1000-1500 euros for PRP.

Regardless you have picked a great surgeon and will have a great result.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

I had PRP at the conclusion of my first transplant as part of the standard practice of my doctor and feel it made a positive contribution to my great result and quick healing. That said, I have nothing to compare it to.

1,792 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on April 2-3, 2015

313 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on May 3, 2016 to make it perfect!!!

For myself, I would gladly give it a try if it were included in the cost of a procedure or if the additional costs were negligible. With what I've seen, I would not be motivated to spend a lot of money on PRP.

That said, several reputable and trustworthy physicians support its use.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

For myself, I would gladly give it a try if it were included in the cost of a procedure or if the additional costs were negligible. With what I've seen, I would not be motivated to spend a lot of money on PRP.

That said, several reputable and trustworthy physicians support its use.

Thanks David, I emailed the clinic and they have said I can even decide on the day so I think I might do a litle research over the next few months.

This is kind of like Schrodinger's Cat. Your result will be your result when you 'open the box' in a year.

Unless you duplicate your head for the purposes of science, and do one with and one sans, you will never really know, will you?

It is always in our best interest to 'give yourself the best chance of success' when there is a choice like this. I'm guilty as charged myself. I opted for Acell on my 1st HT, and I have talked myself in to attributing my growth success to it. I also opted to SHAVE for HT#2, reasoning that it's easier to work with the existing hair that way.

I say go for it.:D

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

PRP could be effective in the recovery, healing process but long term I have my doubts but saying all that 300€ on top of the price is relatively small so if you want to edge your bets then it wont break the bank anymore than it has so upto you.

most Importantly follow your Drs post op instructions by the book especially the first month or so.

good luck.

I was in Dr Cooley's office about a month ago and saw a lot of really fine stand alone procedures of prp results. He has done a ton of research on it and has the information to back it up. Having said that he never tried to sell me on it. In fact he told me I didn't need it. He is a total class act the real deal doesn't try and rip off patients.

Recently there was a question posted about Neograft. As noted in the HT forum Neograft is a device not a surgical technique.

I have used the machine and think that it is a good device. The drill works well. I have seen problems with the vacuum aspect of the device. I also think that the cost is high for a drill but as an owner of an Artas many would note that it is even more expensive.

I do take issue with some aspects of the Neograft business model that has until recently allowed travelling techs to go into doctors offices or business owners who do not know anything about hair loss and hair loss treatment, to set up hair transplant centers. In some States in the US such activity would be considered illegal. In many instances patients are not told that a "tech" is doing the surgery. These travelling techs do not have medical licensure, it is likely that they do not carry malpractice insurance. Who does the patient call if there is a problem? What recourse does the patient have? What medical board oversees these people? Has the physician even notified his or her malpractice carrier that he or she is doing hair transplants and allowing a tech to do it? In some instances the physician may invalidate coverage if the insurance company has not been notified of the change in the doctors practice.

In Florida we have sought to stop such practices and sought legislative control of the unlicensed practice of medicine. Neograft lobbied against our efforts and was able to avoid passage of the bill even though it did get through the appropriate committees. It is my understanding that Neograft is moving to a PA/ Nurse Practitioner model which would be legal.

On the subject of PRP. Unfortunately many people are using the term PRP but not aware of what they are injecting. The patient is usually unaware. The patient hears PRP and thinks all PRP is the same; it is not.

We have tried various PRP systems and kits and determined that what manufacturers indicate as the probable concentration of platelets is not always the case. Some systems we tested gave PRP concentrations that were not significantly elevated. Without adequate platelet levels the positive effects are unlikely to be seen.

We use the Angel/Harvest / or Emcyte systems.

We measure platelet counts on every patient; whole blood and prp to see what we actually obtained. If you do not know these parameters you have no idea what you are injecting. There are other parameters to consider but that is a separate discussion

The medical literature is clear about the positive effects on wound healing. For that reason I think it is very helpful. We do use it in HTs as a "fertilizer " for the grafts.

We seem to get earlier growth but this is an anecdotal observation

As for growing hair I think we are still determining efficacy. We need better controlled studies.

I hope this helps.

Paul T. Rose, MD, JD

President ISHRS

Board of Trustees ISCLS

Dr. Paul Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Dr. Rose,

Very informative post...and nice to see you back in the forum community.

I also have some very sobering concerns with techs performing surgery that only a licensed physician should be doing. My understanding is that each state has their own medical board (where applicable) that oversees medical procedures including cosmetic surgery.

But let's face it, the industry is basically unregulated and I for one am an advocate of all techs to be licensed and meet certain defined criteria that the industry (physicians) should establish among their peers.

The use of consent and disclaimers from liability with no guarantee of results are still common practice. So the patient has little if any recourse should the worse occur.

This is why communities such as this one and a few others are very helpful to provide the background and documentation of the good ethical surgeons like yourself.

Hopefully, each and every individual will do their due diligence and homework so they not only understand both the risks and benefits, but also which surgeons provide the best services and results.

Again, good to see you here Paul and as always, wish you and the family well...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 3 months later...
So I'm booking my surgery this week and while I can probably add it if it decide otherwise. I'm curious as to whether most people given the option, add PRP unto their HT surgery?

I think with ASMED it's an additional 300 euros which I don't mind paying but it the concensus is it makes little or no difference then I might skip it. Thoughts?

There are benefits and reasons to include PRP over a series of treatments. Healing can take a couple of weeks, but did your doctor mention how you would benefit from one treatment with surgery?

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

PRP has been around for years but I have yet to see a average/good result from PRP only. I would like to see a result with PRP only not with a hair transplant or meds. Until then I am convinced that PRP is only a money grab.

You would think that with many doctor offering it they would show the benefits by showing before and after pictures of PRP only.

How often have you experienced shock loss after a PRP treatment??

That is a good question. Some Italians that I have helped actually claim they lost a lot of hair after PRP. So in their case it was permanent shockloss. As Dr. Rose stated there are different types of PRP so some probably are better than others.

Thats the part that scares the living hell out of me, permanent shockloss

Dutchie that is a legitimate concern. Why are you even considering it? Have you seen any good result from PRP only? If so can you please show me?

Dutchie that is a legitimate concern. Why are you even considering it? Have you seen any good result from PRP only? If so can you please show me?

I was thinking about trying it on my crown, that way if it works I dont have to waste any hair grafts there and can use more grafts on my front- and midscalp.

If you enter HAIR and PRP in the youtube search function you can see some decent results, but those are probably the best outcomes and the poor results they dont show you.

There's also this: https://www.google.com/search?site=&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1920&bih=883&q=prp+hair&oq=prp+hair&gs_l=img.3..0l10.1687.3348.0.3459.8.6.0.2.2.0.105.514.4j2.6.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..0.8.519.LTP47CjOkvk

I'm just wondering if I only try it on my crown it shouldnt cause shock loss on midscalp because thats not where the PRP injection goes. Then again, who knows