crown loss advice

Hey guys, long time listener, first time caller here. I am having a HT with Dr. Rahal next week, 2500 grafts FUT. I am super excited and nervous. I am only having work done to the front 1/3, but am wondering what I should do about my crown. In addition to Dr. Rahal, I had consultations with Dr. Boden, Dorin and Feller. All of them said I should not transplant any hair into my crown, that the shock loss from the transplant would cause more damage than good (especially for a low graft count). But it is starting to bother me a bit, and I certainly don't want my front to look great, and have a big bald spot in the back. I have never taken any meds, but will start taking Rogaine and Propecia after my surgery. Do you think the Rogaine will help fill in the gaps enough? I am fine with a bit of thinning in the back, but would like a bit more than I currently have (or at least the illusion of more). What do you guys think I should do?

IMG_2850.thumb.JPG.1e30de787d00aeac0e63f7149afa4e95.JPG

I would go with the Drs advice. You may respond well to the Finasteride. Otherwise or in the meantime with all that surrounding hair you have, some creative combing and toppik would make that spot dissapear!

Hey guys, long time listener, first time caller here. I am having a HT with Dr. Rahal next week, 2500 grafts FUT. I am super excited and nervous. I am only having work done to the front 1/3, but am wondering what I should do about my crown.

How old are you?

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

To anybody in particular and OP...I have less crown loss than the OP and most drs have told me that a few hundred grafts would fill up everything i need but nobody has told me that it could get worse on a low graft transplant to date. Is it something to do about the OPs particular situation or is this relevant to anybody getting minor crown work done?

mikey I agree....but I am no doctor and each patient presents unique features.

to me it looks like the guy has more crown needs than anywhere else. of course it is very hard to get a clear or complete picture with only one picture and also we do not know his age....age is a very important factor.

"chasing a crown" in your twenties/early thirties is practically insane because the balding pattern is usually not nearly defined enough at that point....and it could easily be the "black-hole" for future donor supply.

but if rte is 40 and above I would absolutely throw at least 1000 grafts into that crown if it is within his budget and he has plenty of donor supply.

if i was rte...I would certainly have further discussions with Dr. Rahal and let Dr. Rahal know the importance of at least doing a bit of work on the crown during such a rare event as surgery. i could be wrong, but rte already expressing his concerns about the crown is going to have high potential of him having regrets of "gosh i flew in for surgery, have this healing period to deal with..why-o-why didn't I at least get something placed into the crown?"

of course he can use Nanogen to cover his crown and also have a future crown focused surgery...but I think he should at least have another pre-op conversation with Dr. Rahal about his crown goals so he and the doctor have clearly defined expectations that will help avoid disappointment.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

I think the doctors gave you some good advice. 2500 grafts will make a different but I would wait one year on meds before making a decision. In my opinion with so many fine hairs in the crown there is no way to transplant in that area without damaging exciting hair. I am basing this on your photo and I maybe wrong. You have a lot of fine hair in your crown that typically respond very well to Finasteride. There is a chance that will meds you may not even need a transplant right away.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

I got the same advice, most docs said do front and mid Scalp then after 1year see if what can be done about the crown.

I know what you are saying about having hair at front and bald at the back but it seems this is the way docs do it.

Poster profile states that he was born 1978 which means hes 38/39 yrs old still I feel that crown will gain momentum anyday now, so my advice & im not a Df for him to get on Meds at least 1 or even 2 yrs prior before any surgery.

There's a good chance this poster will respond favourably esp that crown area as I think it can be saved just by meds hence save on extra $$$ for the future.

Work on framing the face first let the meds do its stuff & see where ya at in a few yrs from now.