Can I have hair transplant of just 500 grafts?

Hey guys,

Let me tell you my story so you would understand the reason I ask this,

I'm 22 years old, i'm already totally bald in the top of my head (Hairline, crown, middle, everything).

The only thing I have left is my sides and the back of my hair.

I'm wearing hair system for about 6 months already, i'm very pleased with the results, nobody found out im wearing, even my ex girlfriend.

The reason is because I went from Toppik > Hair system, nobody ever knew I was losing my hair so it wasn't an issue, the hair style is also the same I had with toppik.

Now my concerns are, i start to notice a lot of shedding at my sides and back, when i look at my father's head (He is bald for over 30 years), he's sides look thin and his templates are not the same as mine, they have receeded.

I want to know that i have a backup plan once i lose my templates hair i will be able to re-store it with small transplant, (500 grafts would be enough).

And my second question, if i have retrograde alopecia, does HT is even possible? As I said again, i would be looking for just 500 grafts in the future.

This is me nowdays, the templates are still high, but since the shedding i'm a bit worried.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Is that with your hair system? I cant see much recession, as it's brushed forward. If you're totally bald on top, I would look at a larger fut session. Post some pics of your situation on here and you should get some great advice.

Problem is, if you're a norwood 5/6 at 22, you're probably going to be limited to a hair system or body hair transplant.

Is that with your hair system? I cant see much recession, as it's brushed forward. If you're totally bald on top, I would look at a larger fut session. Post some pics of your situation on here and you should get some great advice.

Problem is, if you're a norwood 5/6 at 22, you're probably going to be limited to a hair system or body hair transplant.

Hello,

Any reason why i will be limited? The only thing I need is 500 grafts, the bald area i cover with hair system anyways, but I need to transplant hair at my templates (Not now as I have said, in few years when I lose them, I have now a lot of shedding at sides so I just want to be ready).

And yes, that's with the hair system, you can't see recession now, im just thinking about the future, I want to know i have a backup plan, that's why I ask :P

I assume that picture is you with your hair system since you said you are totally bald on top. If you are totally bald on top 500 won't make a dent. You will need about 4000 and that probably would just address the top and not the crown depending if you are "bare" or "diffuse". And most likely you would need 6000-7000 over time (2 surgeries)

500 grafts is for someone who has recessed temples and nothing else to be blunt.

Jan 2016 - 3800 graft FUT with Dr. Konior

NW 5A to 6.

Docs whose results I am most consistently impressed with: Konior, Cooley (FUT), Hasson (FUT), Diep (FUE) (yeah I like the zig zag).

You probably didn't understand what I meant hehe, I want to stay with hair system, but i want to fill some hair at the top of my sides (the templates) so the hairline will be low with the hair system when i get to around 27 years old.

I assume that picture is you with your hair system since you said you are totally bald on top. If you are totally bald on top 500 won't make a dent. You will need about 4000 and that probably would just address the top and not the crown depending if you are "bare" or "diffuse". And most likely you would need 6000-7000 over time (2 surgeries)

500 grafts is for someone who has recessed temples and nothing else to be blunt.

Hey brother, that's exactly what I meant, i don't want to transplant my whole scalp, I want to stay with hair system since this is the only solution for my limited donor to be a full head of hair.

But in the future when i have recessed temples i want to make sure i can have hair transplant and since im experience a lot of shedding at sides now days I have heard that I may have "RETROGRADE ALOPECIA" which means that I may not be a candidate for HT, and since I'm only asking for 500 grafts to fill the temples I wonder if it would be possible.

That's all hehe :)

Hello,

Any reason why i will be limited? The only thing I need is 500 grafts, the bald area i cover with hair system anyways, but I need to transplant hair at my templates (Not now as I have said, in few years when I lose them, I have now a lot of shedding at sides so I just want to be ready).

And yes, that's with the hair system, you can't see recession now, im just thinking about the future, I want to know i have a backup plan, that's why I ask :P

Ok I think I understand your question better now - you want to wear the hair system and then put in 500 in your temples to support your hair system.

IMO that is a terrible idea because it commits you to hair system for next 50-60 years. There is no way you are going to want to do that IMO. You have to think long term. At some point you are going to get sick of the hair system and the upkeep - I am sure for 4-5 years you may get along fine with it but we are talking decades.

If you do 500 to temples you will then have "hairy temples", no hairline, bald on top and it will look outrageous if you ever get sick of the hair system.

Your system looks fine in appearance - you dont need 500 to support it. Save those 500 for a day down the road you decide to fix everything. Or if you never decide to fix everything what you have now is fine.

NW 5A to 6.

Docs whose results I am most consistently impressed with: Konior, Cooley (FUT), Hasson (FUT), Diep (FUE) (yeah I like the zig zag).

Ok I think I understand your question better now - you want to wear the hair system and then put in 500 in your temples to support your hair system.

IMO that is a terrible idea because it commits you to hair system for next 50-60 years. There is no way you are going to want to do that IMO. You have to think long term. At some point you are going to get sick of the hair system and the upkeep - I am sure for 4-5 years you may get along fine with it but we are talking decades.

If you do 500 to temples you will then have "hairy temples", no hairline, bald on top and it will look outrageous if you ever get sick of the hair system.

Your system looks fine in appearance - you dont need 500 to support it. Save those 500 for a day down the road you decide to fix everything. Or if you never decide to fix everything what you have now is fine.

Hey man thanks for the detailed comment, your awesome!

I have been losing my hair since 15 years old, at 17 you could see thining at the crown, i started to apply toppik every morning before school, when it got wrost (and it did), it took me about an hour each day to apply Toppik hair fibers to make it look great like i never lost a single hair, I gaveup on so many things in my life, like i didn't swim since 17 until now, always took an umbrella, wearing hair system is not a problem for me and im sure i will stay with it for the rest of my life, i can't even imagine my self being bald, when i said i want to have HT, i didn't mean now, right now the temples are strong enough and makes my hairline still young, i have not a problem at all

BUT- since i'm experience shedding at my sides, i feel that i will have reccssion in the future (in couple of years, 5 years at most), same as my dad, hes already norwood 7 for over 30 years, he has hair at his sides and back but he temples are recceeded.

So I just want to make sure I will be able to do HT in 5 years from now to fill these temples that will be gone by then, and since i have shedding at sides and back i may not be a good patient for HT and that's why i want to verify with this forum.

This thread is just not to have any stress and thinking about the future, just want to make sure there is a solution for me.

Thanks!

I think your hair system looks fine and if you're comfortable with it, ride it out as long as you can - I would not waste any potential grafts on your temples merely to support your hair system, because if you do decide on a HT in the future, given your limited donor, 1). you probably could have used those grafts elsewhere, and 2). doing even a conservative hairline in a future HT would look odd given you had some temple work done. Its like you're working in the reverse!

I think your hair system looks fine and if you're comfortable with it, ride it out as long as you can - I would not waste any potential grafts on your temples merely to support your hair system, because if you do decide on a HT in the future, given your limited donor, 1). you probably could have used those grafts elsewhere, and 2). doing even a conservative hairline in a future HT would look odd given you had some temple work done. Its like you're working in the reverse!

Hey man thanks for your comment,

The reason I want to have transplant in my temples or just transplant hairline and put hair system behind it is because I know that the only way to have my hair back is with hair system, with HT with my limited donor area I won't be able to reach even 4000 grafts, and even if i could have 7000 it wouldn't be enough to cover totally bald area at top, so small HT for example at the hairline can work since i won't be needed many grafts + when i put the hair system behind it I will be able to expose my hairline with no problem.

The problem is that not many doctors agree to do this since they say what if I ever stop to wear system, i will just look funny, but this will never happen, I will never stop wearing.

The problem is that not many doctors agree to do this since they say what if I ever stop to wear system, i will just look funny, but this will never happen, I will never stop wearing.

That was exactly my comment as well below.

You are young - you say today "I will never stop" and maybe that is true. Generally from my own experience things I thought I'd do forever at age 23 never came to fruition. :) Hard to really forecast life 3-4 decades down the road.

But you might be a very determined and consistent person who is willing to do something for 50 years. You are also going to have to have some very interesting conversations with significant other down the road!

NW 5A to 6.

That was exactly my comment as well below.

You are young - you say today "I will never stop" and maybe that is true. Generally from my own experience things I thought I'd do forever at age 23 never came to fruition. :) Hard to really forecast life 3-4 decades down the road.

But you might be a very determined and consistent person who is willing to do something for 50 years. You are also going to have to have some very interesting conversations with significant other down the road!

Well, I plan to do the HT anyways in about 3 years from now, but I just know me, I will never ever will giveup on having hair, as I said, i woke up 1 hour and half every day of my life, (5:00 AM), just to take a shower at the morning and apply toppik when my hair was really thin it was very hard to make the hairline look thick, so it took me a lot of time before i left home, since I started to wear hair system everything is so much easier than before, i can't feel it on my head, I workout in the gym 6 days a week + running 2 days a week 10 kilometers each time, impossible to feel it when touch, so basically it was my only option to get my hair back and that's why I know I will never giveup on that, but as I get older, my sides will get thinner which would make the hair system less natural if my temples will receed and I believe they will in the future same as my father, that's why i just want to know I will be able to do HT when I have to...

If I had a strong donor area that can take 10,000 grafts I would have done HT on my head to cover the whole bald area which is the entire top but that's impossible in my case..

Kevin,

I know of several guys if not more who had some very nice work done in their frontal third region including totally rebuilding their hairlines. They wear a partial system behind it including full coverage of their crown and I have to say they look pretty good.

It's not a bad option for those individuals who have advanced hair loss in their destinies and yet desire to sport complete coverage.

If the frontal third is done exceptionally well, the end result can turn out pretty good even though there is a system covering the mid-scalp and crown.

Just make sure you go to a top notch surgeon for the frontal restoration!...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Kevin,

I know of several guys if not more who had some very nice work done in their frontal third region including totally rebuilding their hairlines. They wear a partial system behind it including full coverage of their crown and I have to say they look pretty good.

It's not a bad option for those individuals who have advanced hair loss in their destinies and yet desire to sport complete coverage.

If the frontal third is done exceptionally well, the end result can turn out pretty good even though there is a system covering the mid-scalp and crown.

Just make sure you go to a top notch surgeon for the frontal restoration!...;)

Oh man im so happy to read your comment, 3 years ago when i used to browse this forum every day i remember Dr.rachel was the best for hairlines, is it still the same?

Kevin, avoid the Hair Transplant as long as you can, and maybe forever. Think about your father, how would he would look today with a hair piece and some transplants? Given your statement about your father, I tend to think you might not be a good candidate. You are young, and the time you will spend in your life thinking and worrying about this if you go the transplant route will be enormous. I had my first hair transplant at the age of 20 and I wish I had just gone through the experience of going bald for more reasons than I can list. The fact your girlfriend did not even know you were wearing a hairpiece means your kind of in hiding. I would suggest to you that you do not want to live your life "in hiding". Today a lot of people are shaving their head.

Everybody has to make up their own decisions, but I would strongly suggest to you to avoid any hair transplant at this point in your life. Think about 30 years down the road, not 5.

Kevin, avoid the Hair Transplant as long as you can, and maybe forever. Think about your father, how would he would look today with a hair piece and some transplants? Given your statement about your father, I tend to think you might not be a good candidate. You are young, and the time you will spend in your life thinking and worrying about this if you go the transplant route will be enormous. I had my first hair transplant at the age of 20 and I wish I had just gone through the experience of going bald for more reasons than I can list. The fact your girlfriend did not even know you were wearing a hairpiece means your kind of in hiding. I would suggest to you that you do not want to live your life "in hiding". Today a lot of people are shaving their head.

Everybody has to make up their own decisions, but I would strongly suggest to you to avoid any hair transplant at this point in your life. Think about 30 years down the road, not 5.

Hey man, i understand your point, your right...im hiding, and i do it well since this thing is so important for me, i just cant imagine my self admit to girls i date with that im wearing a hair system, and since really nobody can tell even if they touch my head, why would i tell? When i be older and find a girl that i want to marry her then yes, i will tell but for now i prefer to "hide" it and believe me, i wish i could live without hair, i wish man... I shaved my head once when i still had a lot of hair left, just when i started lossing hair in crown and trust me, it didnt look good... I wish i could have the amount of hairs i have on my butt on my scalp haha

Oh man im so happy to read your comment, 3 years ago when i used to browse this forum every day i remember Dr.rachel was the best for hairlines, is it still the same?

If you mean Dr Rahal, then yes he is the best in the business when it comes to hairlines.

Well, I plan to do the HT anyways in about 3 years from now, but I just know me, I will never ever will giveup on having hair, as I said, i woke up 1 hour and half every day of my life, (5:00 AM), just to take a shower at the morning and apply toppik when my hair was really thin it was very hard to make the hairline look thick, so it took me a lot of time before i left home, since I started to wear hair system everything is so much easier than before, i can't feel it on my head, I workout in the gym 6 days a week + running 2 days a week 10 kilometers each time, impossible to feel it when touch, so basically it was my only option to get my hair back and that's why I know I will never giveup on that, but as I get older, my sides will get thinner which would make the hair system less natural if my temples will receed and I believe they will in the future same as my father, that's why i just want to know I will be able to do HT when I have to...

If I had a strong donor area that can take 10,000 grafts I would have done HT on my head to cover the whole bald area which is the entire top but that's impossible in my case..

if you're looking for full coverage? that's probably unrealistic, but take a look at tons of cases on this forum where people - including myself are high NW - pretty bald on top and crown - take a look at my profile and pics, with only 3500 grafts I was able to restore my frontal zone and mid-scalp up to the crown - density was not my objective, coverage was - and you could achieve a similar result - like others have said, you may think you'll want to wear a hair system the rest of your life, you may not?? but you don't need 10k grafts if you choose a natural, conservative plan for your hair restoration with a repuable HT doctor

Okay Kevin, please do not rush into any decisions, and trust someone... your parents, sibling. Talk to them about your thoughts on this subject, and get honest feedback and perspectives from someone who knows you well. In any case, the best of luck to you.

I think it's a viable option if you are fully committed to wearing a partial piece for the rest of your life. And it does seem that it fits your lifestyle. In fact, you can find a section on Dr. Konior's website saying that for a patient that is very committed and motivated, the hair transplant in the front + partial hair system in the back can give a very good cosmetic outcome. In fact, I think for a very bald guy it's the best way to get the look of a "full head of hair."