Does this look like follicultis? (large white boil thing)

So, I'm 18 days post op and this thing appeared on my head almost instantly. It's like a whitehead pimple.

Is this follicultis? I've sent the images to my surgeon as well, but it's the weekend so I can't expect a reply until Monday most likely.

I recieved an antibacterial shampoo from my surgeon in case of follicultis, but it burst in my luggage flying home, so would just betadine shampoo suffice?

Thank you.

DSC03149.thumb.JPG.a9071541ab10fd8b6b86f26fb70d3e4f.JPG

DSC03152.thumb.JPG.44d802c67ff68657ab6a67e214e9b3a8.JPG

The pictures aren't very clear but it's possible that you have folliculitis. I suggest taking clear, high resolution pictures and sending them to your physician for an evaluation. In person would be better if possible.

In the meantime, I suggest applying a cloth with warm water to the area and possibly even Aloe Vera which could help reduce inflammation.

All the Best,

Bill

Looks like it's only that one white boil thing...hard to tell, certainly not a slam dunk folliculitus, but if it is your doc will prescribe antibiotics.

Who did you use for the HT?>

--------------------------------------

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Feller

Dr Feller Jan '09 2000 grafts

Dr Lorenzo Dec '15 2222 grafts

I have to concur as I just opened your pics in a much larger frame.

If your doctor does confirm the infection, the sooner you get an anti-biotic the better because the infection appears acute throughout the recipient area.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Looks like it's only that one white boil thing...hard to tell, certainly not a slam dunk folliculitus, but if it is your doc will prescribe antibiotics.

Who did you use for the HT?>

I had surgery with Dr Path/DHT clinic.

It's hard to get a picture of the thing myself, but it's daytime now and the lighting is a bit better.

DSC03160.thumb.jpg.d4e0ecfef1655d2ed0f18410ff7373c6.jpg

DSC03162.thumb.jpg.6c04367e1de2bbf3d21fcc617e8ad9a1.jpg

DSC03165.thumb.jpg.fc3e824fa977f143a4f73ad023101176.jpg

In my opinion it doesn't look too serious, but of course get in contact with your Doc as soon as possible, I had a very big spot not quite a boil but a lot bigger than a pimple at the 6-7 week mark

and it didn't affect my growth, at 18 days post op your grafts are secure

So, I'm 18 days post op and this thing appeared on my head almost instantly. It's like a whitehead pimple.

Is this follicultis? I've sent the images to my surgeon as well, but it's the weekend so I can't expect a reply until Monday most likely.

I recieved an antibacterial shampoo from my surgeon in case of follicultis, but it burst in my luggage flying home, so would just betadine shampoo suffice?

Thank you.

If you were my patient I would not be too concerned. I only see the one pimple, the rest looks normal from the photo. Applying topical antibiotics isn't going to help, just leave it alone until you can contact your doctor. If you really want to play it safe go to a local doctor and show it to him. He will likely put you on an appropriate oral antibiotic, that's what I would do.

When a hair transplant is performed the skin can become irritated for so many reasons, not the least of which is the fact that the area now has "foreign bodies" in it, like splinters, which sets off an inflammatory response. This is normal and will usually just fade off in time. A pimple like that may simply be some bacteria that got into the skin in a higher dose than the rest and the body is fighting it by walling it off.

With your doctors approval you may want to apply warm soaks, which is just a warm wash cloth with tap water that you hold over the area a few times per day until the cloth cools. This will allow something like that to drain a bit quicker and if there is a graft under there it may spare it. Every graft counts, right?

Hopefully you got all that antibacterial shampoo out of your clothes.

Great Help Dr. Feller , its also so good to see a doctor who has NOT Treated the person , to respond with so much care ... i think that's the Mark of a Great Medical doctor and a good human value chain , some people do Amaze me , and surely you are one among them , HATS OFF :)

Dr. Feller is a class act for sure. There is a lot of material on him on this sight which is why I'm going to visit him for a consultation. I thought that was a very nice thing for him to do on a weekend. That's the kind of doctor I want. I hope everything clears up for you and you grow great Transhair.

Transhair-

In general, folliculitis as a clinical entity generally will occur over a larger area of grafts. There is a band of erythema (redness) along the hairline which is suspicious, yet the singular area depicted appears isolated to some extent. These singular localized infections typically respond to warm moist compresses for resolution. Never squeeze those puppies!. If there is a global folliculitis present, that would be an indication for antibiotic treatment. Your surgeon is the best judge, of course.

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors

Oh, the kind of discolored line is a scar from previous surgery I've had 10 months ago. I didn't think it would be too noticeable to mention.

Apologies, should have cleared that up.

I've received a response from my surgeon who recommended using the hibiscrub shampoo which burst and warm compresses, with an antibiotic as well if I feel I need it. So I'll just buy an equivalent shampoo when the pharmacies are open tomorrow and add it to the compresses.