Graft estimate? FUE or FUT?

Dear Enlightened ones

I want to lower my hairline and add density. I was suggested between 2000 and 3000 grafts.

Does this seem right? I would to be able to use various styles and not just the comb over I've had for 8 years

I am considering three surgeons -Erdogan, Rahal and Demisroy.

Erdogan and Demisroy for FUE

Rahal for FUT

Obviously I want the best possible growth from it but I am nervous about a FUT and getting a scar,pain etc. I cut my hair to a blade/grade 2 on the sides

Thanks for any feedback

SfKgmu5.jpg.e730e055e3c3506f29387518782d6811.jpg

In my opinion 3000 is way to large a number. I have been told I need 3000

to fill in my frontal third and I am way more sparse than you are. You don't

look bad in my opinion but hard to tell from this picture. I am on the conservative

side though and like to think of banking grafts for the future.

Personally, I'd go with Rahal for FUT. My friend had a 2500 graft procedure over a year ago, and I regularly see his hair up close. His scar is literally pencil thin, and a total non-issue cosmetically. It has radically transformed his appearance for the better. If I could go back in time, I'd definitely go with Rahal for my transplant. I can't say enough good things about the experience, since I accompanied him on his trip for moral support.

They are all good docs, are you currently taking any hairloss meds like Propecia?

EDIT: I don't know much about DR Demisroy

Edited by Petchski

--------------------------------------

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Feller

Dr Feller Jan '09 2000 grafts

Dr Lorenzo Dec '15 2222 grafts

2000 seems about right based on the picture presented, but a lot depends on how soon you are prepared to come back for a second surgery (if you lose more hair). Using more grafts could 'future proof' to a certain extent against additional loss in the next 5 years or so.

If you have a top-down picture of your hair wet that will most likely show how much thinning is going on and lead to a more accurate guestimate.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

3,000 is a lot for your progression. I needed under 1,800 for much more advanced hair loss than you and it's filling in absolutely beautifully.

1,792 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on April 2-3, 2015

313 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on May 3, 2016 to make it perfect!!!

I wouldn't go crazy in lowering the hairline in the centre it looks to be a sensible height add density into that area and give the temples a much better shape. I would say 2000 should be enough but it does depend how far the thinning goes back into the scalp it could well end up closer to 2500. As Matt says a top down shot will show more.

FUT or FUE now there's a discussion we haven't had on here, have we?

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Davey,

It's always slightly difficult to provide accurate estimates from a few images online -- which is why you often get varied recommendations via online consultations.

Based on that single image, however, I think the 2,000ish FUT estimate is probably your best bet for the frontal work.

Best of luck!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.