First job- first paycheck- and spending it on HT

California

Had an interesting meeting today, with an HT Patient in the San Francisco Bay Area. This Patient is 24 years old. Got his first job as a Software Engineer in the Silicon Valley earlier this month. Got his first pay check this month and wants to use it to pay for his HT. I asked him how come he did not want to use his first pay check for something more "fun".....like a trip to Vegas:)....... but he said that he will have fun only after he gets the hair on his hairline back!

Booked a procedure date with Dr. Bhatti......FUE.......1500 grafts.

Best regards,

California

DarlingBuds FUE's profile photo 

North America Representative and Patient Advisor for:
Dr. Tejinder Bhatti, Darling Buds Hair Transplant Center, Chandigarh, India.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

What could be more fun than restoring your confidence. Although I hope this chap has done his research regarding future loss etc.

Hi TR3B,

I agree with you. Getting lost hair back and restoring one's confidence is priceless. For the record, this Patient told me that he had been researching HT for the last 2 years (which includes following some of the well known HT forums). Dr. Bhatti suggested only 1500 grafts for him, keeping in mind the future hair loss. He will not be touching the areas where there can be a risk of shock loss. This Patient has excellent donor hair supply and has a practical and realistic approach towards HT. He realizes that he might have to go for another procedure in the future if his hair loss progresses. He is using Rogaine already and is willing to get started on Propecia/Finasteride.

Best regards,

California

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

This seems premature---24 and 1500 grafts?

Hi escrec,

I asked this Patient if he wanted to wait until he was a little older and his hair loss "more defined". His answer was this....."My hair loss bothers me a lot. I do not want to live with my hair loss and the associated lack of confidence for another 5-6 years. I want to enjoy the prime of my youth with a full head of hair".

My take on this is that it comes down to each person's personal preference and priorities. As long as the individual has done his/her due diligence (including extensive research) and has a good supply of donor hair for future procedures, I am personally supportive of such a decision. I would do the same if I were in his shoes.

Best regards,

California

I think California's answer is the right one; if the patient is fully informed of all the possibilities--future loss, etc. and has come to a rational decision that the benefits to their life outweigh those risks, then I think there's nothing wrong with the surgeon granting them their wish. I think, generally speaking, that people should have free agency to make medical/surgical decisions for themselves, even if they're risky. But FWIW, I don't think this is an unreasonable procedure for a surgeon to assent to. 1,500 is not blowing his lifetime reservoir of grafts or anything.

Hi TR3B,For the record, this Patient told me that he had been researching HT for the last 2 years (which includes following some of the well known HT forums).

OK. So he's 24, and you say that he's been researching hair transplants for "at least" two years. In other words, he's been noticeably balding since "at least" 22. Perhaps even earlier.

He realizes that he might have to go for another procedure in the future if his hair loss progresses.

"Might" and "If"? He's had noticeable hair loss since "at least" 22 and maybe even before. So the question isn't whether he'll need another procedure; it's whether he'll have enough hair left at 30 to justify it.

OK. So he's 24, and you say that he's been researching hair transplants for "at least" two years. In other words, he's been noticeably balding since "at least" 22. Perhaps even earlier.

"Might" and "If"? He's had noticeable hair loss since "at least" 22 and maybe even before. So the question isn't whether he'll need another procedure; it's whether he'll have enough hair left at 30 to justify it.

I started losing my hair at 16. I had my first transplant at 18, second one at 20....third one and life saver at 37 by Dr Rahal. I have more hair now at 42 than I did at 25. Some people lose hair at a slower rate.

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

I started losing my hair at 16. I had my first transplant at 18, second one at 20....third one and life saver at 37 by Dr Rahal. I have more hair now at 42 than I did at 25. Some people lose hair at a slower rate.

There are exceptions to nearly every rule. But the rule is the rule for a reason. And the rule in this case is that early-onset baldness is a very ominous indication. Granted, there are some people who experience significant pre-25 loss and then stabilize, but again, they're the exception. The majority of men who experience significant loss at age 22 are headed for an advanced NW category.

Of course, I haven't met this patient, haven't seen his head, and haven't read his file, so I have no idea whether he's an exception. But having read these forums since 2003, I know that there can't possibly be as many exceptions as claimed. The majority of pre-25 patients are headed for advanced baldness and are not good candidates for surgery.

Also, I have to ask you: If you could press a button and go back to 18, would you have gotten that surgery with that doctor? Or would you have waited and gone to someone else?

There are exceptions to nearly every rule. But the rule is the rule for a reason. And the rule in this case is that early-onset baldness is a very ominous indication. Granted, there are some people who experience significant pre-25 loss and then stabilize, but again, they're the exception. The majority of men who experience significant loss at age 22 are headed for an advanced NW category.

Of course, I haven't met this patient, haven't seen his head, and haven't read his file, so I have no idea whether he's an exception. But having read these forums since 2003, I know that there can't possibly be as many exceptions as claimed. The majority of pre-25 patients are headed for advanced baldness and are not good candidates for surgery.

Also, I have to ask you: If you could press a button and go back to 18, would you have gotten that surgery with that doctor? Or would you have waited and gone to someone else?

You make great points!

And yes you are correct, I wouldn't recommend a HT for anyone under the age of 30. I was just speaking for my case.

If I could press a button??? NO WAY would I have gotten it...however in my case, looking back, I'm glad I did because right now I'd just bald ( which would be ok ) but having the work at 18 forced me to have to go to Dr Rahal and that has restored my confidence to my teens. But I've also really rededicated myself to continue to use my hair loss meds.

In my case, it worked out for the best.

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Hi Shadow of the EMpire State,

I do understand where you are coming from but at the end of the day, if the Patient is extremely unhappy with his/her hair loss at age 24, has researched the pros and cons and has decided to "do something about it".....I don't think that it would be fair for anyone to ask this Patient to "live with" his/her hair loss for another 6 years or so.....

For the record, I met with this particular Patient in person to get a good assessment of his current situation, level of research and future expectations. I was impressed by his knowledge of HT. Believe me, this guy knows what he is doing.

Will encourage him to share his HT journey on this Forum.

Best regards,

California

Sounds like the guy just wants to stay a head of the hair loss. I'm sure the doctor will take his age, donor area, etc, into consideration and do what's best for the patient. I wish I had a pay check I could use for hair loss when I was his age. Best of luck to him.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• Administrators

I disagree shadow, although you're right, most guys who start to see hair loss at 21 or 22 most likely will be high norwoods by their 30's however, that doesn't necessarily discount them from getting a surgery as long as they have realistic expectations and they're being proactive about stabilizing their hair loss, I had a friend who had a hair transplant in 2006 when he was 21 years old, fast forward now hes 30 and he hasn't lost anymore hair, he had hair in the most important years of his life, only time will tell if the transplant holds up another 10 years, but at that point he'll be 40 years old, and although I understand balding at any age sucks, the social stigma is not the same period. So by the time he's 40 and if he starts to bald again, it will be socially acceptable and the majority of his peers will start balding as well, when considering hair restoration you not only have to look at the results aspect and the longevity of the procedure, but the psychology behind it, being bald in your 20's is utterly devestating I don't care what any 50 year old man says, balding at that age is WAAYYYY worse and if they experienced balding at age 20 they would've been way worse as well, so in my opinion being a guy who has had a procedure at age 29, I would rather enjoy my 30's with hair and if I bald down the line, I will not like it, but I will be more accepting of it.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

@Shadow: I disagree with you.

If youre Young and going for a hat, Finasteride should be on board.

And if it is, there is no reason to wait until youre 30 or 40.

He wants hair NOW. Not in some years.

IF his loss is stable and he is well informed, i would go for it!

Life is to short to worry about: Oh my god, what will happen in 5 years...

You will see whats there... in 5 years ;)

Maybe good, maybe bad.

You dont know.

I dont know.

Maybe god knows.

But noone else.

I began balding at age 20, hairloss became noticeable as a crown bald spot around age 24, became a diffuse thinner on frontal and midscalp by 28 . At that point I said , what the heck and got my first HT at age 28 . As a result I kept my " look " , that is never had to deal with a totally bald area and then sudden hair growth where there was none. Hair transplant is why I kept my sanity and why I felt confident to achieve success in my chosen career.

This is particular to men like me and I bet most of the people who are on this forum as well. I understand there are plenty of successful people who are bald and never let this affect their life or career , more power to them. I am not one of them.

The decisions you take between the ages ~25 and ~35 are what set your life for good financially as well in your love and personal life , obviously there are exceptions.

Just waiting till your hair loss has completely matured (say by age 40) and letting life pass you by makes zero sense in my world and my opinion.

So yes, I agree w this patients decision and support California's viewpoint .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FUT #1, ~ 1600 grafts hairline (Ron Shapiro 2004)

FUT #2 ~ 2000 grafts frontal third (Ziering 2011)

FUT #3 ~ 1900 grafts midscalp (Ron Shapiro early 2015)

FUE ~ 1500 grafts frontal third, side scalp, FUT scar repair --300 beard, 1200 scalp (Ron Shapiro, late 2016)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185663-recent-fue-dr-ron-shapiro-prior-fut-patient.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Administrators
I began balding at age 20, hairloss became noticeable as a crown bald spot around age 24, became a diffuse thinner on frontal and midscalp by 28 . At that point I said , what the heck and got my first HT at age 28 . As a result I kept my " look " , that is never had to deal with a totally bald area and then sudden hair growth where there was none. Hair transplant is why I kept my sanity and why I felt confident to achieve success in my chosen career.

This is particular to men like me and I bet most of the people who are on this forum as well. I understand there are plenty of successful people who are bald and never let this affect their life or career , more power to them. I am not one of them.

The decisions you take between the ages ~25 and ~35 are what set your life for good financially as well in your love and personal life , obviously there are exceptions.

Just waiting till your hair loss has completely matured (say by age 40) and letting life pass you by makes zero sense in my world and my opinion.

So yes, I agree w this patients decision and support California's viewpoint .

I agree 100% waiting until your 40-50 sounds ridiculous, 20's are the most important years in a young mans life why on earth would you want to spend it bald, id rather have hair in my 20's and 30's and bald in my 50's than vice versa.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

This is a very personal decision for all of us that go through this . The argument about age is probably a much more an important one then fut vs fue. I see both

sides to this but in the end I agree with shadow because he doesn't want to see

this guy be disfigured at thirty or forty. There is a reason clinics post results one

year instead of five year results. This disease is progressive. If he needs that

limited number of grafts he probably is not so bad should stick to meds. There

is no guarantee that they will halt his loss. I had an amazing head of hair

at 22 if I had done a transplant to fill any of the thinning I would be screwed

now as my front one third is all but gone now. Everyone is different but

better to be safe in my opinion. I think this is painful for anyone to go through

at any age. My friend in high school lost most of his hair by senior year is

a class 6 now. He dealt with a lot of jokes I know they hurt him but he has

moved on with his life and I don't think it bothers him at all anymore. I was the guy with thick hair then but now I am dealing with this and all of the depression that comes with it. He has moved on with his life developed a thick skin about this. I would gladly trade places with him now. This sucks for anyone doesn't matter what age it happens. This is natures way of telling you that you no longer

have control. Bald is not beautiful at least not for me. I admire people that shave their heads can get past this. There is an old movie I saw late one night that I think about while dealing with this. The movie is called the straight story

and there is a scene where some teenagers ask the main character who is in his

seventies what's the worst part of being old? His answer: remembering when you were young. This hits home really does. We all wish we could be what we once were but in some circumstances just can't. I am sorry for the pain this young guy

is going through hope it works out for him. Losing hair is an awful experience for

anyone.

@Shadow: I disagree with you.

If youre Young and going for a hat, Finasteride should be on board.

And if it is, there is no reason to wait until youre 30 or 40.

Of course there's a reason. First, donor supply is limited. Second, significant early-onset baldness tends to be a harbinger of an advanced Norwood pattern.

He wants hair NOW. Not in some years.

Demanding things "NOW" is a root cause of failure in all endeavors.

IF his loss is stable and he is well informed, i would go for it!

I've no doubt of it; you're the same age and appear beholden to the same quick-fix illusion.

Life is to short to worry about: Oh my god, what will happen in 5 years...

A course for regret if ever I've heard one.

I agree 100% waiting until your 40-50 sounds ridiculous, 20's are the most important years in a young mans life

Many young people tend to think life ends at 40. They suppose that they won't care how they look then or that it won't matter anymore. Then they get to 40 and they think, "Boy, I feel the same way I did when I was 25." And therein lies the myopia of youth.

Many young people tend to think life ends at 40. They suppose that they won't care how they look then or that it won't matter anymore. Then they get to 40 and they think, "Boy, I feel the same way I did when I was 25." And therein lies the myopia of youth.

Hi Sahdow of the EMpire State,

I believe that age should not be a bench mark for HT (assuming the Patient is in his/her twenties at least). The factors that should play significant roles should be the Patient's wishes, level of research, realistic expectations and future donor supply.

To give you a very "practical" example, here is a link to a 25 year old Dr. Bhatti Patient. I uploaded this case to this Forum earlier this week.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/181391-dr-bhatti-2526-fue-grafts-type-5-patient.html

Now, I ask you a question.......would it make sense for this Patient to "wait" another 15 years until he is 40 years of age OR do something about his baldness "now"? Would you not agree that your statement that "Demanding things "NOW" is a root cause of failure in all endeavors" does NOT apply here?

Again, I believe that there should be no set rules here. It should be a case by case decision. Also remember with the advances in the HT techniques and technology, a Patient has the option to tap into body hair to supplement the scarcity of scalp donor hair. Our Clinic has consistently documented the success of BHT (beard and chest hair donor).

No one likes to go bald (folks that say they don't care are probably not telling the truth). If you can cure your baldness in your twenties and significantly improve the quality of your life, why wait for another 15-20 years?......food for thought.

Best regards,

California

• Administrators

Well I'm 30 years old so I guess I'm not that old but not that young either, I can 100% say if I were dealing with the level of baldness I have at age 30 it would be 10000x worse if I were 20, a lot of my peers are in the beginning stages of hairloss maybe also some guys I know have begun to go grey, so I don't feel as bad about going bald, I mean it sucks but if I were 20 it would be so much worse, so I put myself in their shoes and I have to agree with them, if I were very bald at 20, I would 100% get a procedure done, either way planning is crucial and using your grafts wisely should allow your procedure to withstand the test of time, meaning as you continue to lose hair it should look natural and that's the key, like I said if I were 20 I would rather have hair and go bald at my age which is 30. Generally, it's older man who say it's bad who may have never experienced going bald at a young age so it's understandable, I'm not trying to take away from their own personal dilemma with balding, I'm just saying social stigma and acceptance from your peers and opposit sex goes up every decade, so essentially at 30 it's more acceptable to be bald than 20, at 40 it's viewed even better than 30, 50 it's more acceptable than 40, and at 60 it's generally accepted by all as a normal aging process.

I think what you're referring to is young men who do not use their grafts wisely and don't plan for future hairloss, those are generally the guys who end up looking unnatural in the future, but if you're on hairloss medication, you plan for future hairloss, you use your grafts wisely there should be no reason why a young man should not get a procedure. As more hair is loss it should look natural like he is losing his hair, I still maintain my original point that I would rather go bald at 50 and have hair age 20, than be bald in my 20's 30's and 40's and get a procedure when I'm 50. To me that's nonsensical.

View my thread