Hair transplant Goal

Hi, guys I am looking for advice on starting my journey of having a hair transplant! After doing much research I have came to the conclusion of the doctor I am going to make my consultation with…Dr. Feller. Not to put any other doctor down but I just found from reading other people's experiences and his results that he is the ideal doctor for me. I believe that this surgery will help and improve many aspects of my life. I am a Norwood class II and want to attack hair loss before it gets BAD. Ever since I started using Minoxidil and Nizoral my hair loss has seem to stop or slowed down especially on my temples. I think the Nizoral shampoo has actually made my hair a little bit thicker but that could just be the placebo effect. I was looking to get any where from 800-1200 grafts (Maybe more) via fut strip surgery. I am going to proceed to make my consolation towards december because I will have a lot more free time by then.

If anyone can help out or add their input it would be greatly appreciated!!

I have had great success with HT but would still advise any NW 2 to think twice about it. There is so much involved and a NW 2 is a full head of hair in my opinion. Wait for your pattern to develope. I assume you are young. If you are over 45 then the risk is drastically reduced since your pattern has likely shown itself for the most part.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

Take your time--with your research, with your procedure type, with everything.

Gather as many (informed) opinions from top docs as possible before making your decision. I understand that your being decisive adds comfort to the frustration you're likely feeling, but take your time. Beware of your own ignorance with such a big decision.

Dr. Feller is great. Consult with him and others and reach a decision that feels well thought out after you've done exhaustive research.

I had my first consultation in 2012 for hair loss. I had been suffering mentally for probably 5 years prior but that day on July of 2012 was when I just couldn't take it anymore. I was so frustrated I scheduled surgery 4 months later, even making a down payment to hold myself accountable. I was at my mental low point.

After a few more consultations, and hours of playing devils advocate w/ myself, I forced myself to believe the prudent decision was to wait.

I played with Fin and Min, eventually disqualifying both. Masking agents became my savior and are solely responsible for getting me through the last 3 years. My routine with applying couvre and toppik was exhausting, taking many hours, but it created the illusion I needed to allow me to postpone.

Fast forward 3 years, I just had my first FUT surgery with Dr. Shapiro last week. Results aside, I'm glad I waited, even with the suffering.

Take your time, no matter how painful. Think for the long haul, and set realistic goals. You'll be thankful in the end.

• Administrators

Norwood II how old are you? if you're young I would hold off on getting a hair transplant, also never a good idea to schedule a surgery with the first doctor you consult with, in my honest opinion there's alot of better doctors out there that perform FUT, if I were you id consult with A LOT of doctors see what they say browse their before and afters, also look for doctors who have videos, a lot of the times pictures can be deceiving but a video is different.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hey guys. I really appreciate all of the advice and input it really is nice to read all of your guys posts. As being on the younger side (mid twenties) and Norwood class II I think the best approach is solving the problem at sooner vs later. I am a very decisive person and have realistic expectations.

Romper- why wouldn't you recommend fut for 800-1200 grafts?

HTsoon- I do agree with you that some of the before and after pictures can always be a little deceiving

Hey guys. I really appreciate all of the advice and input it really is nice to read all of your guys posts. As being on the younger side (mid twenties) and Norwood class II I think the best approach is solving the problem at sooner vs later. I am a very decisive person and have realistic expectations.

Romper- why wouldn't you recommend fut for 800-1200 grafts?

HTsoon- I do agree with you that some of the before and after pictures can always be a little deceiving

Well are u familiar with the nature of the two procedures? You would be cutting a strip off the back of ur head to potentially achieve 800 grafts. That wouldn't be my idea of the best strategy to combat a very small amount of hairloss

Yes I am familiar with both procedures. From most of the pictures and videos the linear scar in the donor area is barely visible especially if it was only 800-1200 grafts.
then by all means proceed. I think such a small number of grafts could easily be obtained with FUE but I am not a fan of the FUT procedure anyway. Good luck with your choice as previous posters pointed out at NW2 don't do anything drastic as you probably have a great head of hair.

Well are u familiar with the nature of the two procedures? You would be cutting a strip off the back of ur head to potentially achieve 800 grafts. That wouldn't be my idea of the best strategy to combat a very small amount of hairloss

I definately agree with this. I don't think it makes sense to have a scar for such a small amount of grafts. I would say, if you are adamant about proceeding now, that you should put some time in doing more research about your FUE options with different doctors so that you can acheive the small number that you need now but without getting the scar.

Otherwise, if you're set on FUT, I would definately wait until your pattern evens out and need more grafts which which maybe justify being left with the scar. Just imagine the worst case scenario that you go ahead now and then continue to lose hair into your 20s and 30s and need a second op, you'll end up with 2 scars. I know scars are not as bad as they used to be but it's still something to consider especially if you have thin hair or like to wear it short.

Thanks for the input guys. I do agree that there is still a little research that i need to do and time I need to put into this decision. The grafts more on the 1000-1200 side rather than 800-1200. Looking at most of the fue compared to fut, it seems the results seem to be more natural looking and dense but I recently saw on here an FUE procedure from H&W that looked really good and was 1236 grafts.

NW2 should hold of on surgery imo, unless they are older or know that their future hairloss is no more than a NW4.

You should also be on propecia, as you don't want to have temples and hairline with all the hair behind it gone, looks odd.

Dr Feller is a great doc, i know from personal experience, but he gets a lot of vindictiveness on here from some people because of his unpopluar views on FUE.

--------------------------------------

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Feller

Dr Feller Jan '09 2000 grafts

Dr Lorenzo Dec '15 2222 grafts

Thanks for your input petchski. As all you guys are helping me out I still think that even if you are a NW2 you are still a candidate for HT. In my opinion, younger guys like myself have equal reason to have the procedure as older guys for many reasons

Hi :)

I have no experience with Dr. Feller. But, I have very good experience with the hair transplant procedure of Dr. Bhatti. In your case and considering your age, I would suggest you to go for FUE Procedure. But, I would advise you to contact Dr. Bhatti. He is an expert, has many years of successful surgery experience and can guide you better. You can contact him here - Dr. Tejinder Bhatti :)

Edited by David - Moderator

Re-read my post. Went through your exact scenario as a late 20's NW2 5 years ago. Allow yourself to consider the possibility that your frustration is driving your decision right now. Mine almost did.

thanks esrec I really appreciate your view because I feel like you can really relate. As I am finding myself a little less ignorant, I am still going to pursue HT within the next couple months but ultimately want an in person consultation to get the best advice possible and see if I am even a candidate for this procedure. Im sure most doctors will refuse to do strip on me but and moderate size FUE session might be my best option but we will see. I have been searching from hair loss forums to endocrinology and physiological peer reviewed journals. I am scheduling two consultations in the next week to get a professionals opinion

thanks esrec I really appreciate your view because I feel like you can really relate. As I am finding myself a little less ignorant, I am still going to pursue HT within the next couple months but ultimately want an in person consultation to get the best advice possible and see if I am even a candidate for this procedure. Im sure most doctors will refuse to do strip on me but and moderate size FUE session might be my best option but we will see. I have been searching from hair loss forums to endocrinology and physiological peer reviewed journals. I am scheduling two consultations in the next week to get a professionals opinion

You're moving in the right direction, and I'm glad to hear it. This stuff isn't easy. We've suffered for years, yet need to exercise patience. We find a doctor we think is a perfect fit, then we're told to slow down conduct some due diligence and wait some more.

If anything, its a good exercise. If you've exhausted all the right channels you'll feel that much more confident come decision time.

I was ready to book with one doctor in NY I had seen several times in 3 years for mid-September. Two weeks later I was in Minnesota having the procedure instead. One piece of advice--ask each doctor who they would choose if not themselves. Thats how I got my answer.

PS-you should post pics. It'll help.

Hi :)

I have no experience with Dr. Feller. But, I have very good experience with the hair transplant procedure of Dr. Bhatti. In your case and considering your age, I would suggest you to go for FUE Procedure. But, I would advise you to contact Dr. Bhatti. He is an expert, has many years of successful surgery experience and can guide you better. You can contact him here - Dr. Tejinder Bhatti :)

You seem like a shill

Thanks for your input petchski. As all you guys are helping me out I still think that even if you are a NW2 you are still a candidate for HT. In my opinion, younger guys like myself have equal reason to have the procedure as older guys for many reasons

You seem like a shill

This guy immediately irritated me too. I'm glad you chimed in.

These plugs are easy to spot and absolutely disgusting in my opinion. Guys like this should be removed. I hope someone reports this clown.

• 3 months later...

Hi guys, I recently went to a very highly respected HR surgeon in New York for a consultation. My experience could not have been better everyone was very nice and helpful. I felt comfortable the whole time and didn't feel as if I was being "sold" on something. I was throughly explained the whole process and was asked to take my time and ask any questions that I had had. I was told a certain amount of grafts that would be good for me and drew lines on my temple areas. Toward the end he told me not to hesitate and email him if I had any further questions. I was than emailed my pictures with the lines drawled on

I am currently weighing my options because I'm a little worry about the fut scar but it seems like fut has better results than fue. I can upload pictures of my hairline with the marker. Looking for any feedback possible! Thanks guys

I am a Norwood class II and want to attack hair loss before it gets BAD.

Do you understand that a transplant at NW2 will improve your current hair loss pattern BUT will NOT prevent you losing more hair in the future if that is to happen anyway? For that reason it may be sensible to hold off a small FUT until your true pattern of hair loss established. Or consider FUE for a small procedure like this.

• Moderators

You need to decide if you may ever want to buzz or shave your head at some point in the future. If you know you will never want to shave your head, then FUT is the way to go. Otherwise for a small procedure go with FUE.

I personally always knew I would never shave my head, so even if I were to be starting out on the HT journey today, I would choose FUT.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Yes Hairsgone I understand that it will not prevent future hair loss but sometime they will put grafts on thinning hair to replace it so further recession time is decreased. I am actually more of a norwood 2.5-3. I think fue is my best option because I like to have my hair very short. I saw a lot of Dr. Bisanga work in fue and it seems very good