Shaved head after fue

I will end up as NW 6 or 7 in the future, and i already had FUE on frontal third and a little on mid scalp now i see that the hairline would not disappear even if you shave and if you check his second video you will see him when he start grow again. The hair on hairline is so strong and its distribution and density are larger than any other spot, this is unatural and it will appear clearly when you shave. It is bother me a lot now and give me depression, i feel stuck, i will end up soon as NW 6 or7, It is like waiting disaster and being always worry about it. I wish if i can undo everything. I do not know if second session will solve the problem or laser to remove the hair line or make it weak, SMP will make it worse, so what can help to have a good shave head again ?

Yes this is true. It will be very obvious you had an HT even if you buzz it down after an HT. You'll have this sparse "spotting" on the top, and visible follicular density on the sides. It's far from homogenous with FUE. If you want to shave your head, do it now and move on with your life.

Anyone know who the YouTube Sam had his procedures done by?

And it's probably worth remembering that most of us who've had or are considering a HT aren't planning to shave it down. It's worth considering the idea you might want to shave depending on future hair loss and the success/failure of a procedure, but it's not worth catastrophesing outcomes years or decades before they might - or might not - happen.

KO,

As usual, excellent points. I try to stress the "shave test" you brought up quite a bit. Any type of hair transplant surgery, be it FUE or FUT, will leave scarring. Because of this, you'll never be able to truly ever "shave" down -- the way it's discussed online -- without some indication of the surgery. With FUT, you can obviously see the linear incision line if you shave below around a 3 guard. With FUE, you don't have the line, but the scalp does have a "surgical" appearance when buzzed down below a 3. It's not glaringly obvious, but you can tell something was done. This is even more apparent in person.

This is why, like you said above, anyone who is truly thinking about buzzing down to this level should do a "shave trial." If you can sport the close buzz, you've saved yourself tens of thousands of dollars and the surgical appearance in the back.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• Administrators
I watched the video, and I also watched his latest video. Shaved head after getting an HT does NOT look natural. It looks quite odd to see the distribution of hairs, and you still look bald.

His result is very average. He tried to cover a large balding area with FUE, and he has sparse coverage and a very high hairline. It's not bad, but not great either.

Nice way to avoid my question, so you've never had a hair transplant then right? If you're going to respond at least answer my question. In addition, there is a difference between buzzing your head and shaving your head with a razor, OP's initial question was what would your head look like shaved down to the bone. If we're talking high norwoods then we know there is a finite amount of grafts that could be used with either procedure, even if he would've gotten FUT the hairloss may be so severe that his coverage would still be thin, what then? He shaves his head to reveal a huge scar from ear to ear, it would look terrible. It's easy to give advice when you haven't even had the procedure yourself. Once you've had the procedure and have a scar from ear to ear I'd like to see you shave your head with a razor and we'll compare ;)

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

You can rarely as the term is used "shave down and move on" with Fue. Some will be able to shave down to a lower grade when you take all the variables into consideration but you can never shave down to a zero and have no visible scarring.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

It's not glaringly obvious, but you can tell something was done. This is even more apparent in person.

This is why, like you said above, anyone who is truly thinking about buzzing down to this level should do a "shave trial." .

Blake's right the shave trial is important...

2 things to consider, as Blake said, the minimal scaring isnt glaringly obvious, which is a good thing but what the shave trial doesn't show is a lower hair line, which is what makes all the difference to the overall good looking buzz cut.

June 2013 - 3000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2013 - 1000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2015 - 785 FUE Dr Bhatti

Dr. Bhatti's Recommendation Profile on the Hair Transplant Network

My story and photos can be seen here

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/Sethticles/

• Administrators
I watched the video, and I also watched his latest video. Shaved head after getting an HT does NOT look natural. It looks quite odd to see the distribution of hairs, and you still look bald.

His result is very average. He tried to cover a large balding area with FUE, and he has sparse coverage and a very high hairline. It's not bad, but not great either.

There is a difference between buzzing your head and shaving your head, originally the question was what does ones head look like after FUE shaved to the bone, when he shaved his head with a razor his transplant was not visible the distribution of hair is not visible, also I think his result was quite impressive considering he had less than 4,000 grafts, and he still has good density I reckon he could get another 2,000.In hair restoration, FUE and FUT are bound by imitations, whether FUT doctors want to admit it or not, the majority of men who are Norwood 6 simply do not have enough grafts to cover the entire balding area and get good density. This video illustrates that even if you shaved your head with a razor after FUE it does not look bad, the scarring could be entirely concealed with smp. Placement of grafts and the softness of a hairline has everything to do with the surgeon and not the procedure.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators
You are right i m stressed, overthinking and overreacting. l m up and down sometimes , i will try to forget it now and not judge and stop what if questions

Take a look at who is giving you advice, one is a person who's never even had a hair transplant and can't tell the difference between buzzing and shaving. The second person is a doctor who is promoting his own business by employing scare tactics in regards to FUE. The fact remains that if you plan to shave your head down the line, you'll look ok, the scarring can be concealed with smp. When you shave down to skin, the hair distribution pattern is not visible. However if you buzz it, it'll be visible, nevertheless I don't think it looks bad even buzzing it, the only people that would even pay attention are other bald men that's the truth. You're stressing yourself on hypotheticals that may never even happen, just enjoy your hair, and you'll cross that bridge when you get there :cool:

View my thread

Most guys don't look attractive with a shaved head. Most bald guys do, however, look a lot more attractive with a short buzz cut than with long hair on the sides and nothing on top. FUE allows for this, having a big strip scar on your head does not. You will never be able to sport a short buzz cut with a strip scar, never.

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

• Administrators
Most guys don't look attractive with a shaved head. Most bald guys do, however, look a lot more attractive with a short buzz cut than with long hair on the sides and nothing on top. FUE allows for this, having a big strip scar on your head does not. You will never be able to sport a short buzz cut with a strip scar, never.

Someone with common sense, the argument of graft placement and sparse distribution has nothing to do with the procedure itself. Yes I agree, a short military style buzz cut is possible with FUE with FUT it will not look good.

View my thread

I found something on youtube, a clinic that makes hair transplant using FUE and between surgeries they show you the donor area while they are shaving their patients heads. They have many cases, you can check them.

This case for someone who has a total desert on his head and they trabsplant around 8000 grafts,

really i could not find a dramatic problem in donor area even after taking so much grafts, but the rceipient area was appear odd to me specially the skin color and hairline. I do not know if this is normal as i did not shave before like this

No, even with FUE, a short buzz cut, while without a scar, looks unnatural. Just look at SamB's photos. There is an obvious difference between the donor and recipient regions, with the recipient regions looking very sparse and the hair groupings looking very odd compared to the high density parietal and occipital scalp. FUE tries to homogenize follicular density but does not actually do so. He still looks visibly bald but with spotty hair on top.

What people forget is that if you want to maintain the buzzed look after surgery, it demands a different strategy during the hair transplant in terms of how to distribute grafts.

If you have significant loss on top and crown, buzzing your head after FUE will not look natural. With FUT, if you are going down this route, you are not planning on getting a buzz cut. People talk about having the option of shaving down,but rarely ever do so.

I found something on youtube, a clinic that makes hair transplant using FUE and between surgeries they show you the donor area while they are shaving their patients heads. They have many cases, you can check them.

This case for someone who has a total desert on his head and they trabsplant around 8000 grafts,

really i could not find a dramatic problem in donor area even after taking so much grafts, but the rceipient area was appear odd to me specially the skin color and hairline. I do not know if this is normal as i did not shave before like this

Yes this clinic is well known. Do note how the patients look after they buzz their heads.There is a visible density difference between sides and (reddish) top, and the hair on top really sticks out. Remember surgeons are cherry-picking MFUs to go on top, and when you buzz down, it will look different from the sides.

If you are planning on buzzing your head after FUE, there is a different strategy for graft placement, unit selection, hairline design etc etc.

Nobody had a hair transplant to buzz it at the end. But it is like an exit strategy. Nobody will know how will end up after 10 years whether with meds or not. so i might be a norwood 7 after 10 years or have a dieseas and my hair fall and maybe not, but also i want hair when i m younger. So FUE can provide a kind of a safe game, and to plan well i think you should focus on front and mid scalp and ignore the crown so when you buzz it or shave it might look good

For reddish, i do not know if the time can heal this after years but for hairline, I think it will be an issue as the most density usually is in the hairline and this is not normal . Maybe laser removal or fue redistribution can help this at that time.

For buzzcut in front check Wesley Sneijder pictures before and after or Antonio Conte when he shaved his head before his last surgery

And i start to believe that we uaually focus more and pay more attention if we know that person had a hair transplant to findout where it will look fake but in case you do not know, you cannot figure out maybe you will try to guess if you are so familiart with hair transplant but it will be only a guess even,

if you had less hair everyone will say you became bald and if you have a hair transplant and end up with thin hair people will say the same thing and get use to it, but if they know that this result is because of hair transplant everyone will start to say this is fake and it is not look normal.

Edited by Sam23

Sam,

I understand the "exit strategy" analogy if you do fall into these unforeseen circumstances. The point, however, is that you won't be able to truly "buzz" your head without noticeable scarring with any type of hair transplant surgery. I do agree that FUE scarring is less obvious if you go below a 3 guard, but the idea that you can make thousands of punch incisions made in the back of your head and then buzz down without consequence isn't realistic.

The reason I'm harping on this is simply because I don't want patients to have this misconception. As someone who has actually examined hundreds of these scalps in person, I feel very confident echoing KO's comments above. If you are at all concerned with truly buzzing in the future, do a trial now. If you do want to have somewhat of an exit, then it does seem like FUE will provide more of this option.

However, just be aware that it still isn't a "get out of jail free card" and you will have a surgical appearance in the donor region.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Again, to do it like Wesley Schneider, you need to plan your surgery very differently. The way surgeons do FUE, they focus on moving a lot of MFUs which have a lot of spqce in between them, so you will have these big thick shafts in areas that are shiny bald, it will not look natural.

Schneider had a decent forelock, may be on meds, and his surgery was planned so that he would maintain a buzz cut.

• Administrators
Sam,

I understand the "exit strategy" analogy if you do fall into these unforeseen circumstances. The point, however, is that you won't be able to truly "buzz" your head without noticeable scarring with any type of hair transplant surgery. I do agree that FUE scarring is less obvious if you go below a 3 guard, but the idea that you can make thousands of punch incisions made in the back of your head and then buzz down without consequence isn't realistic.

The reason I'm harping on this is simply because I don't want patients to have this misconception. As someone who has actually examined hundreds of these scalps in person, I feel very confident echoing KO's comments above. If you are at all concerned with truly buzzing in the future, do a trial now. If you do want to have somewhat of an exit, then it does seem like FUE will provide more of this option.

However, just be aware that it still isn't a "get out of jail free card" and you will have a surgical appearance in the donor region.

Blake, his initial question was not how he would look buzzed, it was how he would look completely shaven, there is a difference between the both, as it's been stated and restated and shown in video, it's obvious that the donor area has scarring. However, the severity of the scarring and appearance to the general public is not significant, you've examined hundreds of scalps and YOU can see the scarring. What you fail to realize is that YOU have a trained eye, the average person will not pick up on it as quickly as you would. Additionally, the small scars can be easily concealed with smp. You and KO are not comprehending his initial question, it's not that he is getting a hair transplant to buzz his head, he just wanted to know what his head would look like if he were ever to shave it down to skin, hair grouping, distribution etc. does not really matter if you shave down to the skin. Let's stay on track with the original question and topic of this thread.

View my thread

That is an interesting point because oftentimes I will notice individuals in public that I can tell had a HT procedure and my wife is always surprised by this and cannot tell unless the work is terrible and all too obvious.

I always tell her that I know what to look for because of my trained eye.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Administrators

Thanks gillenator my point exactly, I've been with my gf and I'll look at a guy's head and see his hair transplant, often times it's not even a bad one, it's just that I look at so many hair transplants every day I know what to look for, my gf never sees it, she doesn't even pay attention, I can even spot when young guys are beginning to thin, the slightest change in density is obvious to me, I'll tell my gf that guys gonna go bald, and she's like what he has a lot of hair, the most critical people are other bald men that's the truth.

View my thread

Definetly if you have a smile on your back everyone can know that you had a hair transplant but small fue scars it would be difficult you need someone to stare on your back and check each corner and nobody do this, and if you check the shaving videos again really it is hard to tell.

But still the hairline and discoloration is a matter whether fue or fut. so what do you think?

• Administrators
Definetly if you have a smile on your back everyone can know that you had a hair transplant but small fue scars it would be difficult you need someone to stare on your back and check each corner and nobody do this, and if you check the shaving videos again really it is hard to tell.

But still the hairline and discoloration is a matter whether fue or fut. so what do you think?

The hairline graft placement and distribution does not differentiate between FUE or FUT, the only difference in both procedures is the method of extraction, try not to pay attention to guys stating "FUE physicians use ___grafts" this is nonsense a good surgeon is always going to choose single hair follicular units for the hairline to create softness, the further back you go to the scalp the more 2 and 3 hair follicular units will be used for density. There shouldn't be any discoloration in the hairline unless you use some sort of smp with the transplant. The density in which follicular units are implanted has to do with the patients specific goals, if the patient is a Norwood 6 and is trying to get maximum coverage with minimal density, the follicular units will be spread out, doesn't matter if it's FUT or FUE, the notion that only FUE doctors do this is again nonsense. Listening to advice from someone who hasn't even gotten a procedure themselves is ill advised. What I would suggest is to speak with your surgeon have them examine you donor density and the balding area, the surgeon will then tell you how many grafts you have according to your donor density and you can plan accordingly. Unfortunately, both procedures are bound to limitations, a Norwood 6 will never have full density it doesn't matter if you get FUT or FUE this is reality so critical planning is necessary.

View my thread

^Nobody said only FUE doctors plant the top with low density. We're just refuting the argument that you'd get away with a buzz cut after an FUE, when this is patently not the case. Unless you've planned on doing an HT with the intention of buzzing down, it will be noticeable. An HT will leave you with sparse coverage on top with thick MFU's on a shiny scalp....even the uneducated eye can tell this is odd.