Shaved head after fue

• Administrators

^you do realize there is a difference between "shaven to the bone" and a buzz cut right. Sparse coverage is not visible shaven to the bone, and no I don't think it is noticeable to the untrained eye.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I work with a guy who shaves to the bone after an HT, and it is noticeable. He had FUT actually. Interestingly, his scar is quite thin and only noticeable if you look for it. What immediately strikes as odd is the odd thick hair shafts spread on his head. You can immediately tell something is off. He seems to be happy though and is working as a sales guy...aka lot of people contact.

Edited by KO

I disagree that you need a "trained eye" to pick up on the post-surgical appearance. The "average Joe's" eye will pick it up the same way a hair restoration doctor's eye would. The difference is that Joe would think: "huh, something is going on back there;" whereas the hair restoration physician would think: "oh, he had a large FUE."

Regardless, I'm not trying to "bash" FUE scarring here. In fact, the reason patients opt for FUE is to avoid the linear incision scar. What's more, I've actually helped develop techniques to mimic FUE-like scarring (mFUE).

What I am trying to do, however, is correct the misconception that you can have thousands of punch incisions made to the back of the scalp and still shave down without any evidence of surgery. Because whether this is being overtly stated or not, it is the implication. And like I said before, I've seen enough of these scalps IN PERSON to know it's not true. And it would be unfortunate if patients came here to research, read something like this, did a big session, didn't like the results, and then found this out the "hard way" when they tried to shave down later on and noted the surgical appearance.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• Administrators
I disagree that you need a "trained eye" to pick up on the post-surgical appearance. The "average Joe's" eye will pick it up the same way a hair restoration doctor's eye would. The difference is that Joe would think: "huh, something is going on back there;" whereas the hair restoration physician would think: "oh, he had a large FUE."

Regardless, I'm not trying to "bash" FUE scarring here. In fact, the reason patients opt for FUE is to avoid the linear incision scar. What's more, I've actually helped develop techniques to mimic FUE-like scarring (mFUE).

What I am trying to do, however, is correct the misconception that you can have thousands of punch incisions made to the back of the scalp and still shave down without any evidence of surgery. Because whether this is being overtly stated or not, it is the implication. And like I said before, I've seen enough of these scalps IN PERSON to know it's not true. And it would be unfortunate if patients came here to research, read something like this, did a big session, didn't like the results, and then found this out the "hard way" when they tried to shave down later on and noted the surgical appearance.

Blake, no one here has a misconception, I haven't read one single post stating FUE is scarless, as a matter of fact that's why I posted that video, to show what the scars look like when it's shaved with a razor, I disagree that an average joe would pick it up the way a surgeon would, the average person doesn't pay attention to minute details like a surgeon or fellow hair restoaration patient would, I'm speaking as someone who has also shaved their sides to a zero, my friends who knew I got the surgery couldn't even tell until I pointed it out to them. I've only had one barber notice and coincidentally he had a strip done. My friend who got a strip, barbers ask him all the time what happened, I'm not bashing on strip scars either, but this is my first hand experience.

Additionally, to really see the scars you have to be close up to the scalp, how many people day to day are going to be that close to your scalp and really pay attention? Unfortunately, for strip scars and I'm not bashing, the immediate thought that will cross in to the average persons mind is an injury or surgery of some kind, not necessarily a hair transplant but definitely something.

For example it's like your car, my car if you look at the paint closely it has thousands of tiny dots where the paint is chipping, at a distance you can't tell and even if you get close, it's not until you get at a nose distance that you can see, but a car with pristine paint that has a long scratch on it is going to be way more noticeable 7 days out of the week and twice on Sunday, it's the way our eyes work.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators

Sam here's a picture of joe rogan he had I believe two FUT surgeries, he shaves to the bone, his hairline is not noticeable to me.

v3gg92.jpg

View my thread

I think this pic is before his HT, i checked his pices after it still acceptable from front

Ok as hairstyle for the people who had HT, do you think he can make it from sides and back on 1 so he can hide scars abd from top he shaved totally?

Also to maintain shaving head after HT you have to shave every single day i think?

So let see the last resort, everything going crap, so bald no balance in front can he laser it?

No discolaration?

And these cases are not hypothitically, i found many people before asking for same thing after having a bad results so they become a prisoner for their HT and always the suggestion would be another HT

I m trying to put pics but it does not work. anyway you can check Jaqcues Villeneuve pics

here are some

http://www.rallycrossworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/S0116872.jpg

http://storage.torontosun.com/v1/dynamic_resize/sws_path/suns-prod-images/1297530951862_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=420x

http://cdn-lejdd.ladmedia.fr/var/lejdd/storage/images/media/images/sport/f1/jacques-villeneuve2/8892279-1-fre-FR/Jacques-Villeneuve.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/fYF2H.png

http://cdn-1.motorsport.com/static/img/amp/400000/430000/433000/433300/433301/s6_17609/f1-australian-gp-2013-jacques-villeneuve.jpg

Last pic is the best one

and this is a normal interview with him when he was racing, you can see clearly from behind the strip even from mile. from front you cannot guess actually it looks ok, but when he bow his head the imbalance show clearly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-a-NLrp7gI

Edited by Sam23

Few people get a good hair transplant and then later on decide to shave their heads. Of course, a failed hair transplant may lead a person to wear a short buzzcut. And I would rather be the guy with FUE scarring with a buzzcut than the other guy with a STRIP scar on my head after a failed hair transplant. What would you prefer Dr Blake?

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

HTsoon, Dr Lorenzo has this on his website:

"With FUE there is no kind of scars whatsoever. Our patients can shave their head or wear their hair as short as they like, for the rest of their lives. With the FUE technique, the patient can choose their particular hair style at any time they want."

Pretty sure Dr Bhatti's site used to call fue scarless too. Maybe still does - I've not looked in a while. I think there's a definite perception from prospective patients on here that they will be able to shave down, unnoticed, after an fue. Pretty understandable why they would think that when they see docs' websites say it too.

Old Jacques and a clear strip scar (or scars) there. Well I never. Wonder who his doc(s) was/were?

• Administrators
I think this pic is before his HT, i checked his pices after it still acceptable from front

Ok as hairstyle for the people who had HT, do you think he can make it from sides and back on 1 so he can hide scars abd from top he shaved totally?

Also to maintain shaving head after HT you have to shave every single day i think?

So let see the last resort, everything going crap, so bald no balance in front can he laser it?

No discolaration?

And these cases are not hypothitically, i found many people before asking for same thing after having a bad results so they become a prisoner for their HT and always the suggestion would be another HT

This is not before his hair transplant, he got his HT in the 90's this picture is recent. He had three hair transplants, do you see his scalp discolored? Do you see his scalp looks weird? I don't think so, like I said it's not visible shaven to the bone.

Here's a video of him discussing it see his head is shaved

Edited by Melvin-HTsoon

View my thread

• Administrators
HTsoon, Dr Lorenzo has this on his website:

"With FUE there is no kind of scars whatsoever. Our patients can shave their head or wear their hair as short as they like, for the rest of their lives. With the FUE technique, the patient can choose their particular hair style at any time they want."

Pretty sure Dr Bhatti's site used to call fue scarless too. Maybe still does - I've not looked in a while. I think there's a definite perception from prospective patients on here that they will be able to shave down, unnoticed, after an fue. Pretty understandable why they would think that when they see docs' websites say it too.

Old Jacques and a clear strip scar (or scars) there. Well I never. Wonder who his doc(s) was/were?

I don't see how that's relevant to this thread, nobody here has posted this or said this besides you, Blake has repeated himself three times, even though I posted a video showing the scarring, nobody has denied that scarring exist, that's why I posted the video.

View my thread

Few people get a good hair transplant and then later on decide to shave their heads. Of course, a failed hair transplant may lead a person to wear a short buzzcut. And I would rather be the guy with FUE scarring with a buzzcut than the other guy with a STRIP scar on my head after a failed hair transplant. What would you prefer Dr Blake?

This is a false choice. Of course it is better to be buzzed+FUE than buzzed+FUT. But even if you are buzzed+FUE, the hair on top will not look as natural as buzzed+no HT as many here are assuming. Understanding how surgeons actually plan and place hair transplants explains that.

In other words, if you get a bad looking HT and buzz down, it will still look like an HT.

• Administrators
This is a false choice. Of course it is better to be buzzed+FUE than buzzed+FUT. But even if you are buzzed+FUE, the hair on top will not look as natural as buzzed+no HT as many here are assuming. Understanding how surgeons actually plan and place hair transplants explains that.

In other words, if you get a bad looking HT and buzz down, it will still look like an HT.

Nah I don't think so, Joe Rogan got three Hair Transplants in the 90's he shaves his head to skin now and you can't tell.

Shaved to skin

2yy7clx.jpg

hair transplant grown out

2i294kl.jpg

View my thread

• Administrators
You're referring to celebrities....I'm talking about people I've seen in real life with HTs.

I dont see what the difference is, a hair transplant is a hair transplant, shaving your head is shaving your head, its not like he's doing some cutting edge procedure thats only available to celebrities.

View my thread

I don't see how that's relevant to this thread, nobody here has posted this or said this besides you, Blake has repeated himself three times, even though I posted a video showing the scarring, nobody has denied that scarring exist, that's why I posted the video.

I thought it relevant because most guys will look at docs' websites, won't they? Especially ones that are mentioned frequently. And it seems to me that this might be giving them a bum steer. And in general what doctors say about scarring would seem relevant to a debate about fue scarring.

Here's what Bhatti's website says, by the way:

"Any ingress into the skin by a sharp object howsoever small (even the smallest of all hospital syringe needles) shall leave a scar. However here we are talking only of scars that are not visible to the untrained eye and esp. when the hair grows back to even size #1.

FUT on the other hand leaves a linear scar."

And you've done Blake's patience a disservice. He actually more or less repeats himself four times.

• Administrators
I thought it relevant because most guys will look at docs' websites, won't they? Especially ones that are mentioned frequently. And it seems to me that this might be giving them a bum steer. And in general what doctors say about scarring would seem relevant to a debate about fue scarring.

Here's what Bhatti's website says, by the way:

"Any ingress into the skin by a sharp object howsoever small (even the smallest of all hospital syringe needles) shall leave a scar. However here we are talking only of scars that are not visible to the untrained eye and esp. when the hair grows back to even size #1.

FUT on the other hand leaves a linear scar."

And you've done Blake's patience a disservice. He actually more or less repeats himself four times.

I still fail to see how this thread would give guys a "bum steer" the second post is video evidence that FUE causes scars, if somebody reads this thread watches the video than goes to a physicians website and believes something written by a doctor over video evidence how is that our fault? Additionally, what's wrong with what Dr. Bhatti says, he is admitting that scarring occurs, with a 1 guard he's right most people with an untrained eye wouldn't notice. how is he lying? He admits even the smallest prick from a needle causes scarring. No one on this thread has said FUE is scarless.

Here's a 1 guard FUE scarring, it's there but most people wouldn't catch it.

6ns4m9.jpg

View my thread

All HT surgery leaves scars, and you won't be able to truly shave after ...

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy ... sorry, that's from something else

Just a few more to make sure I'm meeting my quota, Newbie!! Hahahaha. ; )

Delancy,

Not trying to avoid the question here, but I wouldn't do either if I had any inkling of shaving my head. Seriously. I would do a shave/buzz trial, and move on if I had the head shape to pull it off. I haven't shaved my head since I was a kid (it used to be cool to do it in the Summer!), so I don't remember if I have the head shape/features to do so. If I didn't like it, I'd pick the procedure that maximized what I was trying to do. But, again, I'm not trying to be dismissive or downplay anything. FUE scars are generally less noticeable when buzzed down low. That's why people chose FUE over FUT. BUT, remember what I keep hammering above.

Also, Joe Rogan looks pretty good grown out there. I thought he's spoken out about his results being poor, and that's why he shaves? Interesting.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• Administrators

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy ... sorry, that's from something else

Just a few more to make sure I'm meeting my quota, Newbie!! Hahahaha. ; )

Delancy,

Not trying to avoid the question here, but I wouldn't do either if I had any inkling of shaving my head. Seriously. I would do a shave/buzz trial, and move on if I had the head shape to pull it off. I haven't shaved my head since I was a kid (it used to be cool to do it in the Summer!), so I don't remember if I have the head shape/features to do so. If I didn't like it, I'd pick the procedure that maximized what I was trying to do. But, again, I'm not trying to be dismissive or downplay anything. FUE scars are generally less noticeable when buzzed down low. That's why people chose FUE over FUT. BUT, remember what I keep hammering above.

Also, Joe Rogan looks pretty good grown out there. I thought he's spoken out about his results being poor, and that's why he shaves? Interesting.

People's expectations are different, he still looks receded with the hair transplant, maybe this is unacceptable in his eyes he'd rather shave, a lot of guys want Norwood 1 hair or no hair at all, all or nothing mentality. Also, he looks good with a shaved head, he speaks about his scar that looks like a "vagina" but as you can see recipient area is not noticeable as others have stated.

View my thread

A guy who did his due diligence and yet had a failed FUE HT will usually look much better with a buzz cut than someone who did or didn't have surgery and grows his hair out long, essentially advertising his bald spot to the world. Naturalness has little to do with density and everything to do with hair characteristics and the artistic ability and design of the Doctor.

Just because someone stares up at my hairline, it doesn't mean that something is unnatural. It simply means that my impressive 5 follicular unit hairline is drawing more attention than other facial features. I believe that the very best Doctors are able to recreate naturalness, as long as they have that artistic ability.

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

^No. You don't understand that when you plan and place follicles for an HT, you have to place them very differently based on whether the patient is going to buzz or not. If he does buzz, it will look unnatural, regardless of whether the doctor is "best" or not.

You're presenting a false choice, a guy with baldness can just buzz his head and move on without the HT. A guy who gets an FUE and buzzes will look just as bald as a guy who does not get an HT.

HTsoon, you've read everything I've said as some sort of refutation of what you're saying and responded with a rebuttal to it. It wasn't - and it was what I thought these threads were about: a conversation.

I remember one of my doctors saying something about there being as many opinions about a condition as there are doctors. This topic seems to bear that out. Or, to put it along the lines of one my favourite little quips: Ask four economists, get five opinions.

Blake, you're always reasonable. Relentlessly reasonable ;-)

• Administrators
HTsoon, you've read everything I've said as some sort of refutation of what you're saying and responded with a rebuttal to it. It wasn't - and it was what I thought these threads were about: a conversation.

I remember one of my doctors saying something about there being as many opinions about a condition as there are doctors. This topic seems to bear that out. Or, to put it along the lines of one my favourite little quips: Ask four economists, get five opinions.

Blake, you're always reasonable. Relentlessly reasonable ;-)

Newbie you directed those comments specifically to me, when you direct a comment to me I'm going to respond with my opinion, my opinion is that copy and pasting what two doctors put on their website isn't really relevant to the discussion, if the thread would've been about what doctors say about FUE scarring then yea it would be relavent. But you copied and pasted what Dr. Lorenzo and what Dr. Bhatti say on their website as if the information I was providing coincides with what they said, the topic of the thread which KO and Blake both misunderstood was what would ones head look like if you shaved to the bone i.e razor, I posted the video that showed scarring, nobody denied that scarring was visible, nobody said FUE does not cause scarring, now whether the average person would pick up on the scarring I dont think so, but that's another topic all together, I apologize if I was brash with you, it's hard to gauge intention over a forum.

View my thread

HT, I thought - and still think - what doctors who are likely to be doing the procedure say about scarring is relevant. What Bhatti says perhaps coincides with your point; Lorenzo's clearly doesn't (and I don't think Lorenzo would agree with his own website in a personal consultation).

I guess I'm saying that there isn't agreement on this - and one or two results isn't necessarily demonstrative of every outcome. And my point, if I had one, is that in any event a general 'it is safe to shave/buzz down to whatever grade rule' (unless a relatively high one) isn't going to apply to everyone. In the same way FUT scars can differ, so will FUE scars. So does each patient's density, hair characteristics and skin/hair tone.

We'd both say people considering fut should think about the potential scar, and the risk it might not be pencil thin. I don't see a difference in being equally candid about the risks of FUE. People thinking about procedures should consider the risk and the nuances of their own situation and potential outcomes, shouldn't they? Doctors doing the procedure should be candid and consistent, shouldn't they? (Patients are much more likely to believe them than a whole load of internet chat). These are rhetorical questions, by the way.