Am I Too Old For A Hair Transplant?

I asked last week about how young is too young for a transplant which got me thinking if my being over 50 is too old to have a transplant? What hairs I have are gray and my body hairs are still black. Would the mixture be too jarring and look unnatural?

Age 50 is not too old to have a HT procedure by any means. I had my fourth procedure at age 51.

Some individuals may however have other factors which could potentially present complicating issues. For example, let's say the individual had other health issues such as uncontrolled diabetes, a deficient auto-immune system, things like that which can affect healing, regrowth of the grafts, etc.

This is why a complete medical history should be taken by the doctor on every patient considering any surgical procedure including HT procedures.

Otherwise if you are in good health, you can expect a nice result providing you have it with a competent reputable doctor...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

No it's not but I don't advise body hair for your first transplant. Sounds like you have virgin donor and you should start there.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

If the was ever a perfect time for HT I would say 40 & upwards that's if your in good health that is.

I would also say that most guys with MPB loose a lot of hair between 17 & late 30s then slows down later on in life.

If the was ever a perfect time for HT I would say 40 & upwards that's if your in good health that is.

I would also say that most guys with MPB loose a lot of hair between 17 & late 30s then slows down later on in life.

True but that number is skewed for people like me. I started fin at 31 and still have a lot of hair, my now 36 so I figure my 40s will be my worst decade.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

For what it's worth, I got mine at 64 and I couldn't be happier with the result and am planning #2 now! Whether you are 64 or 34, research and knowledge is king!:D

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Maw99,

50 is not too old for a hair transplant. As long as you are in good health, you understand the pros and cons of the procedure and you've done your research on physicians, you are in a good position to consider hair restoration surgery. It is much better to utilize all scalp hair before considering use of body hair. Body hair operates on different cycles and makes better "filler" hair than anything else. Take your time, do your research, select a physician and go from there. In the meantime, we are here to help you :-).

Best wishes,

Bill

Vox,

You mixed up the "6" and the "4" there. Clearly, you are 46, not 64 ; )

Just to keep the thread interesting ...

My age range for consultations last week spanned from 19 years of age to 73 years of age!

The 73 year old was looking to undergo his first transplant! He also asked if he was too old. The gentleman was blessed with a very solid hairline, a good -- and side effect free -- response to finasteride, and some characteristic thinning in a few areas in the frontal and mid-scalp that could be easily addressed with surgery. He was looking to have the procedure done and then go on vacation to China with his wife!

I suppose age is truly just a state of mind!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

True but that number is skewed for people like me. I started fin at 31 and still have a lot of hair, my now 36 so I figure my 40s will be my worst decade.

Looking at your pics spank...you have nothing to stress about.

Don't you feel like your Meds is keeping things in tact?

If you care about your hair then you are not too old. We have had patients in their 70's and they can make good candidates. I wish you all the best whatever you decide.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

I did not have my first procedure until I was 40 largely in part because the FUHT was being refined away from plugs and the micros/minis era.

So I wore hair systems until the time was right. My fourth and last HT was at the age of 50.

I also knew of a man in his mid-seventies who was widowed and his hair line was completely gone however he had outstanding donor characteristics. He had a 2300 FUHT to give him a nice conservative hair line and he was absolutely thrilled when everything grew in.

He said he was going to the singles scene in hopes of meeting someone...:cool:

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

I just wanna note that my first thought was that 50 isn't even that old... And this is coming from a 31 year old guy. I thought I was going to open the thread to find an 80 year old looking to have a transplant - which as Blake already pointed out, still may not necessarily be out of the question.

I remember being a kid and thinking my 30 year old teachers were "so old and sooooo cool". My how perspective changes as we grow up. Suddenly, I look at people in their 60s as still quite young. (Looking at you, Voxman!)

But as the others have already said, it's definitely not too old... And if this is your first hair transplant, I would definitely tap into whatever donor supply you have first instead of going straight for the body hair.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Out of curiosity why you think 40s will be your worst decade?

Fin is working good for you and I don't think that Fin will loose its effect after few years. It will work as long as you uses it.

If you planning to quit Fin after 40s then its different case.

Got to love Voxman's humor...:D

Guys, I started using low dose finasteride in late 1996, and still using it to this day. My crown was thin when I started and has not changed since starting finasteride.

It was destined to go completely bald like my grandfather did and spread out much larger, but again, no changes.

My mid-scalp also has been stable since I started so IMHO, finasteride is still working efficiently for me for the past 19 years...;)

Gillenator