18 months post op, going back for 300 grafts, advice on hairline please?

Hi there,

so 18 months ago I got 1000 grafts to my hairline.

now I am going back to get another 300 free of charge as I felt that the hairline was a bit 'sudden' and looks to obvious in some lighting situations, and the front inch or so is too thin

But any extra eyes could help me with this ie: what should I ask for?

I am thinking that the hairline is too straight and the front inch too thin....:confused:

please view the album of images and tell me what you think...

thanks for your help!

24dsiuz.jpg

wt9bYBe.jpg

Z03qEVW.jpg

DMb9PJ2.jpg

WvdamMG.jpg

1000 grafts just wasn't enough. Neither will 300. I think you should have recessed your corners more but it's not that bad, it just makes a thinner front a little less natural.

Can you comb it so it looks better on a daily basis?

I would say you need another 1000 MINIMUM.

Who was your doc?

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

1000 grafts just wasn't enough. Neither will 300. I think you should have recessed your corners more but it's not that bad, it just makes a thinner front a little less natural.

Can you comb it so it looks better on a daily basis?

I would say you need another 1000 MINIMUM.

Who was your doc?

thanks for your reply,

yeah, I think he brought the hairline down too far (for my budget) now I'm stuck with a couple inches of very thin hair. Yep, I normally comb and it looks ok, I purposely made these photos look as bad as possible for worst case scenario view!

Not comfortable posting doctors name until he has done the job though.

Unfortunately due to financial reasons 1000 is out of the question.

What do you think would be the best possible use of the 300?

Where you fore lock is supposed to be.

Also, for anyone looking at getting a transplant, this is why you don't get a transplant if you can't follow up with a second procedure. I feel like the doc should have done a better job (by not doing it at all for 1000 grafts) or just covering much less area.

Edited by Spanker

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

No. It's completely low enough. Your only talking about 300 grafts. Use it for added density.

View Spanker's Website

300 won't do diddly squat mate, I reckon with another 1500 to 2000 grafts, you will look awesome, why can't you save up and wait?

I think you are right about saving up, but I may not have that opportunity.

If you were me and you only had the option of 300 what would you do? more density? interested to hear what you think

If you were me and you only had the option of 300 what would you do? more density? interested to hear what you think

Yeah, 300 won't make a difference. Have you considered traveling to Turkey for the procedure? It's a lot cheaper there with quality FUE results. I realize the flight there may be out of your budget as well. Sorry mate, it sucks.

Forelock mate

Since 300 wont do much I might stay away from that Dr. for future procedures, but talk to him now and tell him the hairline is a bit too low and not shaped well and maybe he'll give you more than 300 to make things right.

Dave,

Sorry to hear about the less than ideal results. I agree with the consensus: a second procedure is needed to really add density. I'm not sure 300 grafts will make much difference. It's not an issue if you don't want to share the surgeon. Recommendations may depend on which procedure you initially had, however. Was this FUE or strip?

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

What the others have said. 300 more grafts would likely just be a further waste, and I personally would consult with a couple of coalition or recommended surgeons here before deciding to let your surgeon have a second go at you.

I might even go so far as to say you would want to look into having some of those temple grafts and lowest hairline grafts removed (in other words, redo the shape and location of the hairline), either in conjunction with a second transplant session or in advance of it. There are several approaches to removing grafts that a top notch ht surgeon could discuss with you (e.g. punching them out and re-transplanting them elsewhere, electrolysis, etc.).

Good luck!

I would say wait and avoid wasting precious 300 grafts.

Better save some money and then have a repair surgery, till then research and do consult some top doctor in between.

Definitely you need minimum 1200 to 1500 Grafts to restore the density in your hairline.

300 Grafts won't add much density so better avoid.

thanks for your reply,

yeah, I think he brought the hairline down too far (for my budget) now I'm stuck with a couple inches of very thin hair. Yep, I normally comb and it looks ok, I purposely made these photos look as bad as possible for worst case scenario view!

Not comfortable posting doctors name until he has done the job though.

Unfortunately due to financial reasons 1000 is out of the question.

What do you think would be the best possible use of the 300?

Wait until you have the money to do it properly.;)

Dave,

Sorry to hear about the less than ideal results. I agree with the consensus: a second procedure is needed to really add density. I'm not sure 300 grafts will make much difference. It's not an issue if you don't want to share the surgeon. Recommendations may depend on which procedure you initially had, however. Was this FUE or strip?

it was FUE

Dave,

I agree that 300 grafts won't really be of much visual benefit. Adding only 300 grafts could even cause more eye drift to the area. You have a wide color contrast so any grafts added are going to be more noticeable against your fair complexion. In other words, the added 300 grafts could work against what you are trying to accomplish.

It really comes down to the level of density achieved in a defined surface area. And if the starting point is mostly a barren surface, the required graft count is going to be much higher in order to achieve an adequate level of visual coverage.

What you and your doctor need to do is to start by defining and measuring the area that needs grafts with adequate visual coverage.

Density can then be defined by the amount of FUs per cm2 of surface area. Typically this would be roughly 50 FU per cm2 for your situation in order to attain any level of coverage that you would potentially be happy with.

Yet a critical aspect of your case is the fact that you are defining your new hairline which requires many single hair grafts. Single hair grafts do not produce as much visual coverage as multiple hair bearing grafts. But you can't put 3 hair grafts on your hairline because that would not look natural.

This is why you need far more work than 300 grafts.

Now, I am not an advocate of borrowing money or using credit for HT procedures, but if you can afford a loan right now, you may want to consider it to get your graft count up to the proper level to make your next procedure clinically appropriate and a visual success in the end result.

IMHO, you and your surgeon need to sit down and have a meaningful realistic discussion on your game plan or find one that will.

Best wishes to you Dave and hope things work out for you.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY