2nd Procedure - 1300 FUT with Dr. Feller (Pic Heavy)

Hey all it's that time again!

So this past December I had a second procedure to strengthen and drop my hairline approximately 1 cm. Hair greed, pure and simple. Well...that and the fact I have a longer face and always had a giant forehead. While I was extremely satisfied with the 1st HT, I felt it was simply a bit high. It was roughly 5-6 finger lengths from my brows, so I wished to rectify that while keeping it mature. I never wanted it squared off or the temples dropped. Just a uniform 1 cm drop of the previous hairline.

I've been on Propecia and Minoxidil for the past year and a half, have not experienced any further progression, and my vertex/crown is as solid as it was 10 years ago. While I sadly have the standard familial frontal diffuse pattern of loss, vertex loss isn't in the genes (but you never know). So I made a calculated decision and took the plunge again, as I want to enjoy my 30's with the hair I desire along for the ride!

Dr. Feller and his staff were great as usual. Procedure went smoothly. 'Nuff said, on to the pictures!

Front Pre-Op

23832.jpg

Side Pre-Op

23831.jpg

Front Post

23828.jpg

Side Post

23829.jpg

4 Months Front

23826.jpg

4 Months Back

23742.jpg

Despite going through the process before, I find myself even more anxious and impatient this second go around. So basically I'm posting this as a place to vent and release my anxiety. I'm slightly worried about the asymmetrical amount of density and grafts that have filled in at this point. My left side has grown in nicely and expected the rest to follow, but the center and right seem quite bare for 4 months. I'm simply hoping that I'm spoiled and used to quick growth, and have come to expect it. I was also lucky last procedure that I was able to buzz down to a #4 with no sign of the scar. At 4 months it is still visible at a #8, where it was not last time at 5 months on the first op. So I'm also hoping that the difference in time frame (1 month) when comparing the first op and second is the cause.

I understand logically that timeframes may not match up between the two ops, and that it's still early on. But I still can't shake the anxiety.

I have more pics including a top down close-up of the hairline at 4 months in my Profile, including pics from the first transplant.

Thanks for reading guys, you're the best! The knowledge and support this forum provides has always been a great asset during the trying times.

Edited by NoTakeBacks
I. Hate. Typos.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi NoTakeBacks,

Could you post some pics of the donor area with your hair lifted? It could be shock loss. My donor area also looked pretty scary after my second procedure. I'm about 8 months out and its taking its time to fill in.

Have you addressed your concerns with Dr. Feller?

Hi NoTakeBacks,

Could you post some pics of the donor area with your hair lifted? It could be shock loss. My donor area also looked pretty scary after my second procedure. I'm about 8 months out and its taking its time to fill in.

Have you addressed your concerns with Dr. Feller?

Sure, here are some additional pics. I've also come to realize I need an actual camera that is decent lol.

Lifted:

23838.jpg

Natural Lighting:

23837.jpg

It looks to my untrained eye that there's been some stretching, but also directly above and below appear to have some shock loss. It also looks like some hairs are growing through and some are just now sprouting below and above. I plan on having an in office visit around 6 months with the Doc to appraise everything. Also, shot him a quick email. There's nothing to be done at this point anyway, more just for documentation, discussion and venting of anxieties.

Doesn't matter how calm, logical and realistic our expectations can be, emotions can get the best of us. Including me! I tend to be a pragmatist, but it doesn't mean I'm emotionless and I sometimes forget that, ha! ;D

I also always worry for the worst that I somehow managed to do something that negatively impacted the result. Despite no dislodged bleeding grafts in the recipient, no lifting for the last 4 months, no complications overall...I still fear the unseen Hair Spirits and the unknown.

looks great man

Thanks man. I'm sure the recipient will turn out great given time, I'm just worried about the scar at this point.

Depending on how the back of my head turns out, I guess there's always FUE into it. I really wanted to hold off on that until I was fully stripped out later in life though. Preserve the grafts if needed.

I'll be posting updates in the coming months/any recent developments.

Takebacks,

Congratulations! Look forward to updates.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 3 months later...

Just posting an update for the past two months.

6 Months

24318.jpg

24319.jpg

24320.jpg

7 Months - Fluorescent Lighting

24682.jpg

24683.jpg

24684.jpg

24685.jpg

7 Months - Natural Light

24686.jpg

24687.jpg

24688.jpg

24689.jpg

Wish I could take clearer pictures, but my potato phone will have to do. Now open for discussion.

Use a hd camera. The pics have a blur + pixelation effect, phone photos are a mistake as they can amplify the result and cause confusion. Keep an eye on it and take monthly photos. Your at 7 months but its probably still growing, i do see goosebump like areas in the front that indicate where the incisions were made. Hopefully, they resolve in time as well. How is your scar at this point? I hope it has healed better than the last posted pic of it.

Really wish you the best but i can see why month 7 is stressful, again you have few more months to see some more changes. Just keep an eye and document notes and photos of your progress.

Best wishes.

Hi NoTakeBacks,

your results so far look similar to mine not as dense with bumps in the hairline . im close to 12 months out and my donor area hasn't improved much either. Luckily for you its only 6 months. Still plenty of time for improvements. I wish you the best.

How many cm2 was your procedure?

I do see a density improvement from 6 to 7 months.

Hang in there and stay out of the meeting for a couple months.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

@ densedream and Sean:

The scar is what it is. No change. However I don't have the shock loss from the very first post. It could be a lot worse, and it could be better. As for the picture quality: I'll try to get an actual camera by next month. Thanks for the kind words!

@Td:

Took a look at your profile, I see what you mean. Hang in there brother.

@Spanker:

I honestly have no clue regarding the cm2. I know I initially requested a 5mm drop from the existing transplant hairline, but the Doc felt a full cm would be the way to go. I know he also mentioned going further back to reinforce the existing transplant area in the frontal third, as it was a 1000 FU transplant and he had additional units which he tossed in. Also, I'll definitely try not to obsess and just adjourn hahaha. Thanks!

I feel your pain on this one. To be honest from some random dude on the outerwebs, in my opinion pretty much anyone can tell you were the recipient of a hair transplant in the frontal hairline, and not a good one at that at this point. That wasn't the case before you went to Feller on this one - you looked great. It looks sparse (to be kind) for the graft count you were given or quoted. I'd be keen to have Feller or the newly-minted super jr doc weigh in. I know I sound like Busa on this, but at this much time in, those gaps are not going to fill with new hair. Not enough density on this one for the great hair you already had. Felller/Box whomever clearly phoned this one in. I'd demand a repair for your previously amazing hairline.

You may be behind the curve for 7 months but there is still time for substantial improvement.

Have you discussed your concerns with Dr. Feller yet? I recommend doing so. There is no harm in letting your surgeon know that you're worried about the outcome and discussing your options int he event the final result is subpar.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

@David: I do try to keep it in perspective, and remind myself that 7 months is early...but it's completely unlike my first procedure where I grew early and consistently. I'm also keeping both Dr. B and F updated. Thanks for your reply, I do appreciate it!

@Tav1, FUE2014 and andyzhao: That hairline and entire frontal third seen in the pre-op pictures IS Dr. Feller's handiwork; that much must be said. That is also why I opted to go for a second procedure. Technically no one NEEDS a hair transplant ( ;D ), but I wanted one and was advised my goals reasonable. The hairline and hair looked great after the first, it simply was overly high on my head. I do have a long face and a high forehead naturally, so the recession and subsequent restoration had a bit more ground to cover. My expectation was to achieve the same density and look.

• 3 weeks later...

8 Month Update:

Some progress since last month. Keeping my fingers crossed that it'll steadily continue for the next 4.

Florescent:

24924.jpg

24925.jpg

Soft Lighting:

24926.jpg

24927.jpg

24928.jpg

24930.jpg

While the overall density is an issue, the main problem areas still continue to be the "forelock" and my right (left side in the pictures). It's like looking at a puzzle that has yet to be completed. I can see what the end result should look like and what was planned...it's just not there. Perfect storm of my hair caliber not helping out and the lack of density.

@Tav1: Yes I've been in contact the entire time. Have to wait out the full 12 months or so.

All the best!

It does look a little better but that could also be the lighting, still pluggy looking up front though. Hopefully the next four months are good to you. Hows the scar?

The lighting is the same. I take all my pictures in the same two spots for consistency. One under florescent lighting, and one with softer more natural light. I always try to be balanced. Agreed that overall it could look softer and more varied. At least the side in the fourth picture (my left) is better off. Scar is the same. No magical scar shrinking faeries have visited me while I slumber. :D