All those with transplants, please help me out. It's time to make a decision.

Hello to all,

I am a 20 year old male and I have been suffering from hair loss, or major thinning on top since I was 18. My older brother is 23 and has suffered much more loss then I have, but he shaved his head and is able to deal with it. I for one can't stand the thought of balding, and eventually having no hair on my head. It is part of my look, and who I am and I can never picture myself being without it. I am going to law school next year, and I just want to be that guy in the suit with hair. I have been on the generic form of propecia for 8 months now, and I have not noticed regrowth but maybe just stablization at most. My hairline has receded, and I am thinning terribly on crown. I have started using Dermatch since last winter, but I cannot cover my problems any longer. I recently won a lawsuit over a car accident I was in; and sure have six figures so I definitely have enough for transplants. I know you guys recommend 20 being to young, and I turn 21 this december; but I just hate comments being passed from some of my friends, and me not having normal set of hair I once did. I surely don't have a problem with the ladies, but they say you need to be happy with yourself. Should I go consult with Bosley, and make a move? I do go back to college in august I will probably have to hide in a hat until December, but I dont know what else to do at this point. Please respond and help me. Thank you!

Hello to all,

I am a 20 year old male and I have been suffering from hair loss, or major thinning on top since I was 18. My older brother is 23 and has suffered much more loss then I have, but he shaved his head and is able to deal with it. I for one can't stand the thought of balding, and eventually having no hair on my head. It is part of my look, and who I am and I can never picture myself being without it. I am going to law school next year, and I just want to be that guy in the suit with hair. I have been on the generic form of propecia for 8 months now, and I have not noticed regrowth but maybe just stablization at most. My hairline has receded, and I am thinning terribly on crown. I have started using Dermatch since last winter, but I cannot cover my problems any longer. I recently won a lawsuit over a car accident I was in; and sure have six figures so I definitely have enough for transplants. I know you guys recommend 20 being to young, and I turn 21 this december; but I just hate comments being passed from some of my friends, and me not having normal set of hair I once did. I surely don't have a problem with the ladies, but they say you need to be happy with yourself. Should I go consult with Bosley, and make a move? I do go back to college in august I will probably have to hide in a hat until December, but I dont know what else to do at this point. Please respond and help me. Thank you!

First, if your law school is anything like mine, the professors will (at best) frown upon hat wearing in the classroom. I have seen a number of students be told that they either need to take their hat off, or leave the classroom. Second, if your hair loss is as bad as you're making it out to be, then you seem destined to wind up extensively bald and may not be a good candidate for a hair transplant. Even if a doctor does feel comfortable in performing a transplant on you, are you sure that you would be satisfied with a mature hairline and a bald crown at age 21? From your explanation of your current hair loss pattern and family history, that would seem to be the best case scenario for you. Last, do not go to Bosley. Putter around this site for a while and choose the surgeon that you like best.

My law school had no problem with hats. Alot of students looked like they just fell out of bed. Though it seems when you're trying to hide something, that's when Murphy's law kick's in, so disregard what I typed earlier. You are too young and it sounds like your hair loss is aggressive. As for the ladies (though you say you don't have a problem), if your friends have their hair, bring your bank statement with you. J/K, women hate those type of guys. I would try to buzz it for a while. Invest that money! Law school is expensive.

Oh yea, run from hair mills.

Talk to some of the hair surgeons (in person, online, or over the phone). See what they have to say. Definitely stay away from Bosley... I have usually heard horror stories about them.

Check out some of the coalition doctors, and do your research. Rahal, Feller, H&W, Shapiro, Alexander, etc. are some of the commonly heard names on this forum, but there are several other very elite doctors as well. Talk to a few of these docs and seek their opinion.

Good luck!

Realhair, as you can see, it is a general consensus on this forum that if you are too young (i.e. younger than about 27) and balding fairly aggressively that you should not get an HT. Well I am 22 and I have been balding since I was about 17 so I would consider that pretty aggressive. So like yourself, I know how much it sucks to start losing your hair so young. I found out about Propecia when I was 18 and it has worked very well for me. I have maintained most of my hair in the back/middle of my head and therefore decided to go ahead and get an HT back in May. Obviously I have no results yet but I am still very happy that I did it and don't regret it. Now I know when people read this they're going to say "well just wait unitl you lose the rest of your hair in 10 years and see if you regret it then"....but I still have a lot of donor grafts left, enough to get good coverage or another "touch-up" procedure later on if I want to. Your hairline is what frames your face and basically determines your look....so IMO it's a lot better at any age to have a strong hairline and decent coverage in the back than it would be to have a weak/mild hairline and good coverage in the back.

- 1 HT ~ 3000 grafts

- Regimen:

Propecia 1X daily

Realhair,

i have a similar story, balding since i was 18 and so I decided to do my first transplant at the age of 22, i did the frontal scalp then i did my second one 6 months ago at the age of 25, let me tell you its the best thing I have ever dne because my shedding was extremely severe and coudnt handel it anymore. I tried propecia for a year before my first transplant but it only made me keep what i had. I wanted my Hair BACK. If your hairloss is very noticable at a young age then go for the HT no doubt, dont bother with meds if you want a major effect. I take meds now as I AM SATISFIED with what i have and i am hoping it could help me keep what i have.

Advice from a youngster who delt with severe hair loss for a long time.

Good luck!

Do you have any pics?

I'm 23 and have had 2 procedures done.

I was lucky enough to be diffusely thinning, so my future loss was fairly evident and easy to transplant within.

Those young guys with nothing but frontal loss are at a higher risk imo.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!

I started receding at about 23 and yes, it was quite stressful. I managed to use coverup for years until I started the process of 3 HT's.Propecia kept me at a stable point in terms of hair loss ( it stopped it)

Today,I have a great head of hair and i'm very happy Idon't have to worry about my hairloss. I think early 20's is a bit early as i didnt have work done until my early thirties

I would certainly stabilize my hairloss with meds and then seek viable options based on my needs.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

mike the dane...you once again think u are lucky to have diffuse loss at a young age. i dont know why u are so delusional but let me tell you having diffuse loss is HARDER to transplant in that this is greater damage to ruin existing hair folicles. your 'opinion' that guys with frontal loss are worse is plain wrong and something i think u are saying to make u feel better about your own situation.

judging from your pics, you had a lot of frontal mid and back hair loss which at such a young age is never a good thing. its one thing to give advice, but when u are giving out misinformation it is just plain wrong. any ht surgeon will agree with me.

Thank you all for those that are trying to help me make a decision. It's nice to hear that people have had transplants earlier in 20's, but I guess at 21 i would be considered extremely young candidate for HT. Thin crown but dermatch does do wonders, and I have a receded hairline. I guess the real question is, if I were to go in for the transplant at this young age; I probably wont have to use concealers anymore, and what is the worst that can happen if I attempt it? Again thank you all for you're feedback, it is an issue I consider my most stressful in my young life.

realhairback,

The worst thing that could happen by getting a transplant that young is future balding. And you never know how progressive it's going to be. You might be able to neutralize it with meds, but there are no guarantee's.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Oh btw, I had a procedure and I still have to use concealers. There are no guarantee's that a HT will get you off of them.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Originally posted by hdude46:

mike the dane...you once again think u are lucky to have diffuse loss at a young age. i dont know why u are so delusional but let me tell you having diffuse loss is HARDER to transplant in that this is greater damage to ruin existing hair folicles. your 'opinion' that guys with frontal loss are worse is plain wrong and something i think u are saying to make u feel better about your own situation.

judging from your pics, you had a lot of frontal mid and back hair loss which at such a young age is never a good thing. its one thing to give advice, but when u are giving out misinformation it is just plain wrong. any ht surgeon will agree with me.

Well i just read your old reply.

But i can asure you that i do not spread false information intentionally.

I already argued for my points as to why i think being diffuse is better but i'm open to debate, just keep it civil please.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!