Graft estimate seems too high??

Hello,

I've been looking through this BRILLIANT site for quite a while now but this is my first post....

I've just received an online consultation response from the first of five clinics on my shorlist but it seems the estimated number of grafts required is a little high. As such I thought it could well be worthwhile asking for an opinion on here....

I'm 37, looking to fill in my crown and 'corners' using FUE.

Any thoughts?

IMG_2546.jpg.f1cf53422f06a0ed723c2dacdf7863df.jpg

IMG_2550.jpg.4396f1db60441f40b33889e8ab87c472.jpg

IMG_2554.jpg.4b8c07335da4773cea0a9d656bead51a.jpg

Welcome to the site!

Are you on any meds?

I'm not sure you should touch your crown just yet. You still have quite a lot of hair there.

As for the corners/hairline, it obviously depends on how aggressive you want to be in terms of lowering them, but I would have thought in the region of 1800-2200.

Obviously if crown grafts are getting added to this, the figure will jump quite a bit.

2,200 FUE + PRP with Dr Bisanga - BHR Clinic, 22-23 August 2013 - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171950-my-fue-2-200-prp-dr-bisanga-bhr-clinic.html

Current Regimen:

- Rogaine 5% Foam 2x daily

- Jasons Restorative Biotin Shampoo 2x daily / Nizoral 2% 2x weekly

- Nettle Root 500mg, MSM 1500mg, Biotin 5mg, Multi Vit, Omega 3

Cheers JohnnyDrama!

No, I'm not on any meds.

Up to now I've managed to do a pretty good job of disguising the problem but it's recently reached the stage where that tactic just isn't cutting it anymore!!!

As for the hairline, I'm pretty happy with it (at it's 'peak' I mean) as it hasn't receded at all. It really is just the filling in of the corners that I'm after. The crown was offered as an option by the surgeon concerned but - either way - your estimate is significantly less than the one I was given.

It's such a shame because this particular guy was very much the frontrunner for me and this situation has soured that feeling to a degree....

Forget the crown. Even if it was transplanted it would probably just shock out weak hairs permanently and you will be back to square one.

As for the hairline work, 2500-3000 could be a possibility depending on whether that forelock is significantly thinning.

You owe it to yourself to at least try the meds or you're liable to run out of donor hair after a couple of procedures.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I'm with Matt as I would guess have estimated 2800-3000 grafts at a glance. You're covering a completely bald area in much of it. The front of your hairline may not have receded yet, but it definitely seems to be at a lower density and you may choose to "punch through" that frontal edge of your hairline. I think that you should get on meds and leave the crown alone.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Thanks so much for the input everybody.

One thing seems pretty certain so far - I need to get on meds!!!

Perhaps the estimate wasn't that far out of sync after all... the clinic concerned is ASMED. Gianluca there came back to me with an estimate of 3000 grafts for frontal and mid scalp (over two days) or 4000 for frontal, mid scalp and vertex (again, over two days).

The meds. Would we be talking about finasteride here?

Yes, finasteride. Also a topical rogaine in the crown. I don't know where you are at but in the U.S. you can get fin (prescribed) for 9 dollars for 30 pills. Then you quarter the 5mg pills and you have a 90 day supply for 9 bucks. Probably the cheapest way to do it around here.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I wish Spanker.....

Unfortunately (well, at least as far as finasteride is concerned) I live in London, but I can always have a scout around the site for a cheap solution closer to home.

When you say 'punch through', do you mean add to the density? Or does punching through mean lowering the hairline a little?

I agree with everyone about the meds - at the very least Propecia (Fin) to preserve the mid-scalp and crown. It's incredibly effective. As for the number of grafts you need, I would consult several physicians on your list - pretty soon a picture will emerge. The top 3 surgeons on my list all quoted about the same number of grafts.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

Unfortunately (well, at least as far as finasteride is concerned) I live in London, but I can always have a scout around the site for a cheap solution closer to home.

Spex provided this useful info:

"Dr Singh unfortunately has been very ill recently and is not longer able to work.

He put me in touch with Dr Steven Edgar (Gmc number 4722104)

He is an informed and very helpful GP and he can help anyone wishing to get a private px for finasteride.

email: drstevengedgar@gmail.com

I hope this info helps and if I can help further please do not hesitate to email me on support@spexhair.com

Regards

Spex"

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Hi Sam,

Welcome to the community! Based on those images, I would say you are somewhere between a NW III and a NW IV (with a nicely preserved frontal hairline). I think 3,000 grafts would likely restore your frontotemporal region and reinforce the existing frontal hairline nicely. As other said, preventive medications would likely be a big help as well (and will probably be recommended by your physician). You appear to be well suited for a larger FUE procedure. Best of luck! Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Your hairline looks much better than mine was and I had 2000, which went further into the midscalp on the left hand side. When I saw your pics I thought 1500...wouldn't go with my opinion though seeing as everyone else has said much higher!

Agree on the crown though, let the meds sort that out.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Appreciate the input though Tommy!

As Since21 said - I'm guessing its best to wait for all the estimates to come in and see if a pattern emerges...

As well as Dr Erdogan I'm looking at Dr Ferudini, Dr Basanga and Dr Lorenzo. I've tried filling out the consultation form for Dr Lorenzo on the Farjo website but they seem to be having IT issues. Is there a way of somehow contacting Dr Lorenzo on here by any chance??

I would consult with quite a few Docs to get a general estimate, as i believe you will be given a wide range of different estimates.

Honest opinion, some Docs will give you the highest estimate, which almost guarantess a better result (which isnt always the case) some will recommend meds, to try and strenghten the forelock and crown and work around the native hairs.

Look at results similar to your case and consult with a wide range of Docs on here and go from there, you may be surprised at the different approach and estimate each Doc will take with your case;)

Unless Lorenzo, Feriduni or Bisanga have cancellations this year, it may be difficult to get booked in for a procedure until next year, I know Feriduni is booked up until Feb 2015 at least. Also bear in mind Lorenzo is leaving Manchester in the Autumn so it's worth finding out whether he has any space left, he is an extremely busy man! Have you contacted Dr Doganay for an estimate?

If you are going to consider Lorenzo prices, take a look at Dr Raghu Reddy in London. My opinion is he get's amazing results with relatively fewer grafts than most Drs. He also developed his own flavour of FUE.

Im booked in for a HT with him this July.

I haven't, no. How does his work compare with Dr Erdogan in your opinion?

Both are good but I a personally partial to Dr. Erdogan. (Even though I emailed his clinic telling him that I admired his work and never heard back from them :D).

View Spanker's Website

If you are going to consider Lorenzo prices, take a look at Dr Raghu Reddy in London. My opinion is he get's amazing results with relatively fewer grafts than most Drs. He also developed his own flavour of FUE.

Im booked in for a HT with him this July.

Hadn't thought about Dr Reddy but will certainly investigate!

When I first saw your pics and read you just wanted to fill in the corners I thought something around 2,500 grafts. I would not have the crown worked on as of yet. It looks fine to me. Get on the Rogaine/Minoxidil for the crown and possibly consider Proprecia but look into all the potential side effects. I personally will not risk going on Proprecia but many people who have and have halted their hair loss and have even grown back some hair.

The amount of grafts you would need depends on what kind of hairline you want(a straight design, a V shape etc) and if you want it lowered at all. If you just want your new hairline to start off where your current one is, I would say around 2,500 grafts should do. This will fill in the corners and the middle section of hair that currently exists(making it more dense). If you want a lower and more aggressive hairline than 3,000+ grafts would be needed as to lower the whole hairline 1 millimeter requires about 100 grafts. If you want a conservative/'mature' hairline with filled in temples and a re-established forelock, I would be looking at around 2,500. It all depends on your desires.

I just wanted to add that sometimes going for less grafts can be beneficial because there would be less grafts per centimeter squared. "Whatchu talkin bout Mickey???" Less grafts per centimeter squared means each graft placed gets that much more blood supply. Too many grafts packed tightly means a compromised blood flow to the grafts, affecting yield. This is why we sometimes see densely packed norwood 2s and 3s with bad results(even from top docs)when the procedure should have been easier on the clinic than a norwood 5 or 6.

Consult with Drs Lorenzo and Bisanga, I find them to be the most ethical surgeons out there and they will tell you exactly how it is. They don't use superfluous amounts of grafts and have the patient's best interests at heart. I have sent guys on this forum to them after they had consulted with other surgeons who quoted them 3,000 grafts and both Lorenzo and Bisanga would either quote them much less or turn them down for surgery saying it is too early and future loss makes surgery right now a bad idea. Those two guys will tell you what you need.