detect a hair transplant

with nowadays evolution of ht, can you detect if anyone have done a hair transplant?

it is true that hair in donor area are thick but with time they become more thin.

it is possible to have a procedure due to hair loss in hairline and not be detect?

I mean in the immediately after day it is visible the redness ... but after a year and so on...

possibly HT veterans and the regulars on this forum would be able to tell, but not the general public

though it depends on the skill of the doctor you choose, so it's important to choose well

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

possibly HT veterans and the regulars on this forum would be able to tell, but not the general public

though it depends on the skill of the doctor you choose, so it's important to choose well

do you mean that at 1 meter distant you can detect a hair transplant even if it has done well?

because of the thick of the hair?

so even in wikipedia it has been wrote that nowadays ht have natural results

i feel a little bit unhappy. people could stare at me like thinking he has done something. terrible!!!

Depends on how long the hairstyle is and the amount of native hair they have.

I'll admit the best docs these days are doing work that's hard to detect though.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

because of the thick of the hair?

so even in wikipedia it has been wrote that nowadays ht have natural results

i feel a little bit unhappy. people could stare at me like thinking he has done something. terrible!!!

I don't think that would happen, unless you told them or had unsuccessful results.

Go with a recommended doc from this forum and you should be good.

go dense or go home

what do you mean by the length of hair?

I mean if I have hair loss only in my hairline can I achieve a natural result with a medium length hairstyle?

what do you mean by unsuccesful results? the doll hair that was offer in the past

poor regrowth rate I don't know...

I mean if I have hair loss only in my hairline can I achieve a natural result with a medium length hairstyle?

Yes you will be able to, and as I mentioned the general public will not be able to detect it.

Just make sure you go with a recommended surgeon, good luck to you

go dense or go home

to tell you the truth I'm worried about general public...

trained eyes could see through it or in many cases they can't detect?

what are the reasons why you can recognize a hair transplant ?

what are the causes for a unsuccesfull hair transplant?

sorry so much for ascking you so many questions, I tought i had found a solution.

Less,

Have you reviewed the results posted in our "Results Posted by Leading Clinics" section? Do you believe these look unnatural or would be detected as "artificial" by the average onlooker in public? A hair transplant procedure would be detectable or recognizable if the grafts were placed at an unacceptable density (and even this would still likely look natural), if the grafts were placed at unnatural angles, or if unacceptable scarring occurred in the donor region. Otherwise, modern hair transplant results - in my opinion - are very natural and the VAST majority of them go completely undetected.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to ask additional questions.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I agree with Blake on this one. I feel I am very good at detecting them. However, with that said I am fairly certain that I have suspected some people of having a HT that did in fact not. I think the majority go undetected. The days of plugs are behind us. At least they should be, but unfortunately you still see some lingering poor results from doctors that should be imprisoned.

Mostly if they are detected the reason is because someone received one when they should never have been classified as a "candidate". Some doctors out there will perform whatever you ask them as long as you give them money.

what do you mean by saying a candidate? not so many hair in the head, working near native hair and related shockloss?

well !I would have liked to listen from you that hair transplant are in many cases not detect even from a trained expert people. it is possible?

how can you detect? The hair in the hairline are thinner than the transplanted

I thought that with time transplanted hair will become thinner.

I'm worried about the possibility to be detect if i will be near a normal guy. and worried also to the possibility to be always stared by people

sorry so much but I want to listen more opinions

I think it's easier to tell on those who stand their hair back or comb it back, exposing their hairline. But it's nearly impossible if you let your hair grow and you comb it down to cover your hairline. Even those who comb it back, if they have a densely packed hairline, it would be difficult to tell they had a HT.

I think if you have a high norwood case and don't get sufficient grafts, it could be easy to tell you had an HT. The normal person would probably see something is off about your hairline with the grafts having small gaps between them, something a natural hairline does not have.

I have learned to recognize the "HT pattern" (strong hairline, weak crown--very few people have that kind of hair loss naturally).

Also, it becomes obvious when guys lose the rest of their hair and keep only a strip of hairline--I've seen more than a couple of those around.

Last summer I've seen a guy with mini-grafts and once when I was a child I remember seeing a guy with plugs. I am wondering why on earth would they go out without a hat.

my hair stylist could not detect that I got a HT.. she is very skilled and only does men's haircuts... so that says something about the quality of my procedure and about the state of Hair Restoration these days if you go to a skilled surgeon.

I concur that HT veterans could probably tell-- but that's ok with me!

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

I have learned to recognize the "HT pattern" (strong hairline, weak crown--very few people have that kind of hair loss naturally).

Don't let that fool you, this pattern is more common than you may think. I mean, you are correct in that this is a typical graft distribution for advanced Norwood patients that have surgery but I see this pattern naturally several times a month when doing consultations.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

lessthanme,

I was simply pointing out that people who have had HT's may be able to detect, well because we've gone through it already in some cases several times and also have researched thousands of photos and procedure results too.

My suggestion is to listen to Blake's words and my initial comments that it will be undetectable to almost anyone, unless you tell them.

Try not to worry so much, and good luck

go dense or go home

This thread reminds me of the movie invasion of the body snatchers... how can we tell who is human anymore??? Ahhh!

There are so many strange ways people can go bald it makes identifying someone with a HT extra tricky. I've seen people with some bizarre balding and thinning patterns but at the same time been pretty damn sure they didn't have any work done... but I guess you can never be 100% sure.

FUT scars aside, I think transplants on the crown are generally very hard if not impossible to detect, especially if the hair is not buzzed. Doesn't even need to be top notch work.

For hairlines, assuming the entire hairline is done, the main give away I think is the line of the hairline itself being too symmetrical and methodical. Namely, too straight of a line and the hairs a uniform distance apart. When the hairline density is low, a uniform line is more of a give away because on top of the synthetic look it's also unnatural to thin out but retain a perfect line of hair.

When the line of the hairline itself is done in a natural way by a top notch surgeon, it's very hard to tell the difference because any thinning or weirdness starts to become something that is plausibly natural. And if done well, even with the hair pulled back, I think it can be very hard to determine... unless maybe there's lingering redness because it was done recently, or the person experienced more hairloss after the procedure and there's a gap.

So with the above said, I think it's possible someone could have a great result with a top notch FUE doctor and go from NW5 to NW2 and get by completely undetectable. Some of Lorenzo's large scale results come to mind as probably being good enough to fool even HT doctors without very close examination.

This thread reminds me of the movie invasion of the body snatchers... how can we tell who is human anymore??? Ahhh!

true-- but this works both ways (men and our hair transplants.. women and their work..) .. how many times have you been deceived by fake breasts..thinking they are real.. until.. *you know*

this happened to me.. without getting too much into details.. i went out with this corporate chick who is a couple years older than me and clearly is more established than me financially.. she lives near the beach in Venice... third date.. I find out that 2 of her major assets physically are fake... how am I supposed to feel about that?

in my younger days (7 years ago) I would have been immediately turned off.. but this time, I quickly thought to myself--- wait a sec, don't judge--- my hair is transplanted... of course I haven't told her, & she has no business knowing unless I were to plan to wife that up which I do not.. but isn't it kind of interesting that my hair transplant can not be detected by her (she lacks the experience) but her fake breasts can be detected by me?

where I am, in Los Angeles metro.. people look pretty good... I think teeth whitening is like a default thing... we get so much work done on our bodies here...

then there's spray tans, botox... these things are pretty simple to get done.. ohh, we are soo spoiled!

My regimen includes:

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

Don't let that fool you, this pattern is more common than you may think. I mean, you are correct in that this is a typical graft distribution for advanced Norwood patients that have surgery but I see this pattern naturally several times a month when doing consultations.

I can't help but play 'spot the HT' and this is so true. People have all sorts of balding patterns. A surprising amount of people have a band around the hairline as if someone planted a load of single hairs in that area and lost hair behind it.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I can't help but play 'spot the HT'

lol I've been doing this too!

My regimen includes:

recently my wife and I (she has a trained eye too lol) have seen guys with shaved heads and noticeable FUT scars

feel like mentioning SMP/FUE repairs to them but that would obviously be rude....

go dense or go home

Yea, I find myself trying to spot them too. I would think that it would become more and more easy to detect the farther away from the HT the person gets (after the growth stage) because of the natural hair loss around the transplanted hairs. About when someone would be thinking about going in for round two. Sadly hairloss is progressive and that day will come for most.

recently my wife and I (she has a trained eye too lol) have seen guys with shaved heads and noticeable FUT scars

feel like mentioning SMP/FUE repairs to them but that would obviously be rude....

GOSH! how it easy to become a trained eye? my friends or co-workers (people constantly in contact with me) could become trained eyes?. terrible.

anyway I saw a lot of people who have almost a perfect hairline and losing hair in the crown especially the older ones and with drugs you could prevent the hairloss, even without drugs someone is not genetically prone to lose all the hair.

Thank you very much for your replies!

the terrible feeling to be dectetcted is related to the fact that I would like to have a natural result and not to be stared by people, also I don't want the feeling that something could be revealed constantly with me.

I know that someone who has lost a lot of hair is more detectable but what about someone who is going to treat only the head zone 1 a receding hairline, with not a behind hair style?

How it is possible that almost all the movie stars have a lot of hair and it is very difficult to detect them or at least what they have done?, I mean look at Matthew McConaughey or George Clooney( he had during E R time not a perfect hairline)?

THANK YOU AGAIN!