Shoul I Ski 4 Days Post Op???

I had an excellent procedure with Dr. Konior on Tuesday (which I will post more about later), and am now on day 4. I have a great opportunity to go skiing tomorrow and I'm super conflicted about whether I should go. I know that the post-op instructions are for me not to do anything as intense as skiing for a few weeks, but I wear a great helmet while skiing, I'm an advanced skier, and will go slow and stay on intermediate trails.

My donor area and grafts are in amazing shape. I can't really even notice or feel anything out of the ordinary. I had 1,500 grafts on my crown, around 400 on a temple, and around 200 in the forelock region.

Would it be stupid of me to hit the intermediate slopes for a few hours, being very cautious? I know skiing can sound like a dangerous sport, but I feel like theres a better chance of me damaging grafts/scars getting in and out of cars, hitting kitchen cabinets, or having my dog playfully swat at my head than me crashing while wearing a fully protective graphite helmet in powder snow.

Thanks for your advice!

Congratulations.

"Would it be stupid of me to hit the intermediate slopes for a few hours?"

YES!

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I played tennis a few days after a ht. Most everyone here thought it was a bad idea.

I dont know if playing tennis affected the overall result of my ht, but in hindsight i probably should not have done that. Better to play it safe. You have all the time in the world to hit the slopes after a couple weeks after your ht.

Rhino,

While I recommend asking Dr. Konior, I personally do not think this is a great idea. First, your scalp will be exposed to a significant amount of direct sunlight while skiing. Most physicians recommend avoiding direct scalp sun exposure for the first 3-6 months. Second, placing a helmet over the grafts at 4 days post-op would almost definitely damage the fragile grafts (a tight fitting knit cap or "beanie" would do the same). Third, if you did fall or bump your head, the grafts could be damaged as well.

Again, I think you should speak with Dr. Konior. However, I do believe it could result in some significant damage to the new grafts.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I'm a diehard snowboarder, so I feel where you're coming from, but a day on the mountain is not worth the risk of popping some grafts or stretching a scar.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Thanks all. These are the responses I was expecting but was just hoping maybe it would be okay. I should mention that under my ski helmet I wear a polyester/spandex bavacla (sp?) that seems like a similar non-adhesive texture like a medical cap that other doctors send their patients home in. I also would not expose the scalp to any sunlight at all. The helmet is adjustable and I can arrange for it to not touch any of the grafted or donor zones, with the exception of a light grazing of the scar on the back of my head when I take it off.

The grafts just feel so embedded now and the donor lines seem almost non-existent -- I feel like the only way I could really do damage is if I had a REALLY bad head collision at a high speed, and I definitely wouldn't be putting myself in that situation. I've been an aggressive skier for 20 years and that hasn't happened so I'm confident it wouldn't happen on a casual outing. That being said, I'd feel like the worlds biggest dummy if I disregarded the consensus here and ended up damaging precious, expensive grafts, so I guess I'll nix the trip.

I've sent a note to Dr K and his staff too to see if I can get a quick response from them as well and will share details then. I'll also post a little bit about my surgical experience once I can put together a cogent description that his office deserves.

Thanks

absolutely no way!

don't risk the awesome results that Dr. K can produce by not waiting a few weeks.

you'll be thanking yourself in a couple months

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Just follow the post-op instructions-- why is it that hard?

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.