Artistic restoration of temples; Total 5790 FU's; Dr. Mike Beehner

This 30 y/o first came to us in 2008 and since then has had four separate procedures totaling 5790 FU's in the temple and hairline area. Some of these were placed within the frontal region also, which showed signs of thinning with miniaturization. Likewise, a small portion of the grafts were also placed in a small thinning area of the crown in back. Tiny 0.7 and 0.8 mm custom cut slit blades were used to make the recipient sites at the edge and 1mm sites were used for the 2-hair and 3-hair FU's behind this outer zone.

Mike Beehner, M.D.

img792.jpg.f5210c31bc0e02cbd4550a8837ec9360.jpg

img793.jpg.2122dd4990191a6657e3a977dcbfc745.jpg

img796.jpg.1043e05ef55024b2ee734e849a135d79.jpg

img797.jpg.a100c255c7743212114d871dc32d9d87.jpg

img798.jpg.45b0eb54e9c00ae675759a709064056e.jpg

img799.jpg.f74c3645370df7544c4dc2502af62141.jpg

img800.jpg.5958943ff926aa9b1c37871cc07be333.jpg

img801.jpg.d93a07a93c47df6d9a3ba40808867bec.jpg

img802.jpg.8df374fd814ee93aed895f9d2dd4454f.jpg

img803.jpg.e671092808d2f6ea8ff884d33ce103c5.jpg

Great work! Thank you for sharing.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Nice outcome. That is a LOT of grafts for his level of loss. Do you feel he as adequate donor to complete his restoration?

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Thanks for the kind comments. In answer to the person who asked how many grafts his most recent session was, it was a small 600 FU case using FUE, which I placed "into the cracks" in the front two inches of the frontal scalp for additional density. The hairline already had a "soft" look, and I feel it can hurt the final result to keep going into this edge area, as you then run the risk of making it a "hard" edge, which looks unnatural.

The other question was regarding the patient's donor reserves. He has tons of donor hair and his scalp is very loose. In fact his scalp is slightly hyperelastic, which caused a 4mm wide scar in back, which I excised at the last session. His hyperelastic scalp was the reason I chose FUE for this most recent session, to avoid any risk of his ending up with a wide scar.

Mike Beehner, M.D.

• 1 month later...

I mean, he could be fine. He's 30, not 20, and his native hair looks to be holding up just great. But I've literally never heard of this many grafts used in the hairline. 3,500, yes, but not 5,500.

I'm pretty confused. This was supposedly all done over the course of 4 procedures. Someone asked how many grafts were used in the pictures shown here, and the doctor replied 600... sorry, that's not possible. I take it the doctor was referring to yet a different procedure... maybe a 5th?

I don't know where this man started at day 0 with this clinic, but if it's anywhere near shown in the pictures I have no idea how nearly 6000 grafts was used to produce the result shown here. Even if a small portion of his crown was done, as briefly mentioned by the doctor, it wouldn't add up. In the results shown here there is an also issue with yield/shockloss at his hairline too, which is unfortunate considering the amount of grafts used.

Edited by Rootz

Agreed. The lines drawn at the temples don't indicate a NW1, they indicate a juvenile hairline, which to me is just a no-no in virtually any circumstances, ESPECIALLY one on which basically 6,000 grafts are down the tubes. And the sparseness at the hairline is extremely surprising for that graft count.

I'd love Dr. Beehner to jump back in and explain this case a little more, because I've never seen anything quite like it. I'm 32 and have very, very good native hair, but I would never in a million years put this many grafts in the hairline, even with meds and great family history. You're just asking for a disaster.

I probably should have made it clearer that around 2000 of those grafts were placed in the large frontal and anterior midscalp region. He did have more grafts placed at the hairline and temples than I usually do, but that was because the patient was very persistent in wanting those areas as absolutely dense as I could make it. We fill in these areas usually quite nicely with two sessions these days.

Mike Beehner, M.D.

I probably should have made it clearer that around 2000 of those grafts were placed in the large frontal and anterior midscalp region. He did have more grafts placed at the hairline and temples than I usually do, but that was because the patient was very persistent in wanting those areas as absolutely dense as I could make it. We fill in these areas usually quite nicely with two sessions these days.

Mike Beehner, M.D.

Thanks for the clarification, Dr. Beehner--that makes more sense.

Almost 6000 grafts in a hairline?! WTF! If his native hair holds up thats 1 thing, but if he ends up on a high NW scale he's screwed!

Totally agree. This was no an intelligent use of grafts in my opinion. The amount is absolutely superfluous for the amount of loss... The actual hairline looks quite thin also...

Edited by Mickey85