Does everyone go through the ugly ducking phase and shock loss post op HT?

Several questions.

Does this 1st month shock loss happens to everyone who gets a HT? Does every one go through the ugly ducking phase?

What if you have been on fin or dut and minoxidil for several years before the HT, would the transplanted hairs still fall out. Is it possible that the transplanted hairs never even fall, they would just grow post op?

Thanks any answers.

I've heard of some rare cases where the hair doesn't shed (or a minimal amount does). About 5% of mine didn't shed.

I think the meds will only serve to protect native hairs from shockloss but I've not seen any scientific proof.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Stop worrying and accept that YES it will happen, make peace with it, and realize that you are embarking on a "big picture" journey that will be worth it in the end. It's temporary and will be forgotten about within a few months. Easiest/best way to go. If it doesn't happen, you are one of the few lucky ones...but don't count on it.

Yeah, avoid buzzing as much as possible. It's going to be weird, but we all had to go through it. It's not easy when you go out and become all self conscious, but it passes eventually. Get yourself a nice collection of different hats and wear them wherever you can.

Well, from my experience, I've been taking finasteride for at least 5 years and it really didn't do much in the way of "protecting" my hair from shockloss post surgery. I know a lot of physicians repeat that line, but honestly it seems like total conjecture and I have not seen real evidence that it does protect from shockloss. If anything, the skill of the surgeon is probably a bigger determinant of post procedure shockloss, because bad technique and overly aggressive handling will cause more trauma and shockloss.

And by shockloss, I mean real shockloss of the native hair in the recipient area, not the falling out of transplanted grafts (which is expected).

I didn't have any shock loss. The new hair shed after a month as expected, and I'd had some native hair shaved down so I did look pretty terrible for a while but no shock loss.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

I used to refer to this stage as.... "Shock and Awe"! Don't worry about a thing. Most all of your transplanted hairs will fall out initially, but the natural hair growth cycle will begin and you will see new growth in a period of weeks. Hang in there during what you call.... the Ugly Ducking phase!!! Your existing hairs in the recipient area will not be affected.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

it depends on how many grafts and the nature of the procedure, but in most cases yes it is unavoidable.

I recently had a small non-shaved procedure by Dr. K behind my already transplanted area to fill in a thinning area from stopping Fin, and 4-5 days after it was undetectable in any way (but because it was a small unshaved procedure).

Major shock loss with the recommended docs here is rare I think.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

If you're transplanting the frontal portion, why can't the hair on your crown and back be buzzed to even out the length as long as you don't touch any of the recipient hairs?

8 weeks in few days post op and 95% shed....officially an ugly duck!

4066 FUE Grafts with Dr Bhatti, India 9&10 Jan 2014

For my pics and thread click the link:http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/173658-4066-fue-grafts-dr-bhatti-india-restoring-more-than-just-hair.html

Hello everyone, thought Id ask a quick question since coming accross this thread.Iam right at 8 week s also on a second precedure into existing hairs from HT 1 and I must say for me, I still feel lots and lots of prickly stubble still.Maybe its possible I am lucky or do I still have some time to experience some shockloss also?

1st HT 1973 FUT's with Dr.Robert Mcclellan 6/28/2007

*unfortunately I have no info on hair count on my 1st surgery ..

2nd HT 3026 FUT's with Dr. Bernadino Arocha 1/9/2014

1's - 797

2's - 3700

3's - 246

5634 hairs

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/attachment.php?attachmentid=54945&d=1389315686

3026 FUTs 1 day HT#2 post op frontal picture

Stop worrying and accept that YES it will happen, make peace with it, and realize that you are embarking on a "big picture" journey that will be worth it in the end. It's temporary and will be forgotten about within a few months. Easiest/best way to go. If it doesn't happen, you are one of the few lucky ones...but don't count on it.

Yes it takes a little time to get looking like it should but it's not bad.

At 4 months after the first two I was cutting the hair and it was in full swing.

Had a 3rd last month. General thickening this time. It's moving some already!

Hello everyone, thought Id ask a quick question since coming accross this thread.Iam right at 8 week s also on a second precedure into existing hairs from HT 1 and I must say for me, I still feel lots and lots of prickly stubble still.Maybe its possible I am lucky or do I still have some time to experience some shockloss also?

I think your good! 8 weeks they are growing! Amazing how hair put in right will really grow. Seems like a lot of hair comes off a good strip too!