Post HT hat wearing

Redchilli007

Hi guys

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a HT and would like some advise from some guys about wearing a hat for long periods (months) after a HT.

I work in an enviroment where I may be actually able to wear a baseball cap during my 9-5 working day. Its a male dominated enviroment so I am try to avoiding the piss taking and questions that comes with such an enviroment.

I should return to work about 4 days after my HT and plan to wear a baseball cap for the 8 working hours until I return home right through the ugly duckling and growth phase, so anywhere up to 8 months.

My question is will this affect how healthy my grafts will be and the success rates of the grafts. I know cap wearing isn't tied to hairloss unless its really tight but I will wear a lose fitting cap with a vented mesh at the back to allow as much air flow as possible.

Has anyone done this before? I'd appreciate any advise you have.

Secondly, how long is it before the grafts are secure. If i am putting on and removing a hat so early I don't want to knock out any grafts.

How long after the incisions and grafts placement do the wounds heal over enough to lock the grafts securely in place? What time frame would I be able to be blase about the hat and pull it off in a normal worry free manner?

Thanks for listening, great forum and posters on here btw. Very supportive, knowledgeable and caring community here. It makes suffering hairloss less lonely.

I dont think grafts are safely in until 7 days. You might want a little more than 4 days off work.

I just had my HT, and you have to account for swelling etc.

Try and get a week off, and you will be good to CAREFULLY wear a hat.

Thanks for the reply. Not sure if I can swing a week off but I'll try.

In terms or carefully wearing a hat I mean in terms of taking it on and and off. I have a system with one of those flexiband hats that should stop it rubbing off the scalp and lift up and away rather than across and away from the scalp.

The seven days for the grafts to become secure, is this your own estimate or that of your HT surgeon?

who is your surgeon and how many grafts you having done?

if for example you had a non-shaving HT from Dr. Konior you could be back to looking normal in 4-5 days. If you are having a shaved head mega session then will be hard to hide.

I would not risk the hat wearing early on post-op, and the golden rule is do no harm and take extreme care until after day 10 as mentioned above

Graft anchoring:

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/publications/graft-anchoring-in-hair-transplantation/

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

You can't get more than 4 days off?!

If you are suspicious of colleagues wondering why you're wearing a cap, start wearing one now, before the transplant. Then when you have it, noone will suspect you are wearing the cap to cover it up.

I am taking a total of 6 days off after the HT but the problem is a course I must attend soon after which was booked after I made my HT appointment. I am trying to get this moved but its a block booking, so 16 staff will attend and its very costly to send us on this course. This came out of the blue and was really bad timing. I had made arrangements with the doc for my dates and when I went into work the next day and applied for two weeks leave I was refused the full amount. Calling in sick maybe an option but would look bad straight after days off.

I have started to wear a cap around the office, I am wearing one as I post this :) so hopefully it will go unnoticed.

For those asking its Dr. Koray in Turkey

Edited by Redchilli007

My advice is not to care. I can say this as I am right in the ugly duckling phase. If anyone asks, just say you moved some hair from the back to the front of your head. You may get some piss taking but actually not caring shows more balls. Its something you got done, and now you have other things to get on with.

4066 FUE Grafts with Dr Bhatti, India 9&10 Jan 2014

For my pics and thread click the link:http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/173658-4066-fue-grafts-dr-bhatti-india-restoring-more-than-just-hair.html

As long as you are careful taking it off and on and it doesn't touch the grafts for the first 10-14 days you will be fine. I wore a hat starting the day after my procedure when I went out and then wore one all day for the first 4-5 months I had no issues whatsoever.

It's horrible, living under a cap for so long. I decided to let it free after 2 months, it still looked bad but I thought F it. No-one cared and I felt much better.

I would hate to be working 9-5 with a hat on. Can you style your hair to cover it?

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Its not ideal but not that bad either. I think with any HT an acceptance of a time out period needs to be realised. Anything from 8-12 months. This period you will have a red scalp and shedding hair and you might lose some native hair due to shock loss.

You will not look your best in this transitional period.

I have, as already stated, started wearing a cap around the office and have told my friends I will be taking a break from going out every weekend for a few months due to financial constraints.

Korays email rep has told me I can wear a baseball cap straight after the op without me asking. As long as it sits at the front of the head and doesn't rub against the grafts they say it will be fine.

Edited by Redchilli007

Hi there! Dr. Koray will tell you the grafts are safe after 8 days. Trust him! You will get a hat at the clinic which means you can wear a hat just after the surgery if you take care as some already advised you. To be on a safe side I suggest you to call in sick. Swelling may be an issue. Feel free to drop me a message! You chose a great doctor! ;-)

An amazing experience (4002 grafts) with Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED Clinic).

I recently had a FUE with 1800 grafts, though I made a very quick decision. In one visit I got my surgery the next day. The whole treatment proved out to be quite expensive and it has been 7 days now. Since the initial hair growth looks ugly I believe I'll have to wear a cap for at least 10 more days and the hair are hard too. Luckily I had the opportunity to take a 3 week off because I cannot wear a cap to work and I am worried about that.