Airports post op

swayzedo

This will be the year I'll be getting my transplant to fill out my temples and hopefully I'll be able to get that Road House retro look :P

Just a question though, I've never been good with flying and hence I've only done it a few times in my life. I'll be going with BHR clinic and I'll have to fly from the UK to Brussels on my own for the consultation and the op itself. The flight is only about an hour/hour and a half so it's no a long haul for sure.

It's all good as I'm seeing it as facing a fear (And some medication from my GP might help as well) but I'm a little concerned about flying back after my operation.

I'm not worried about the grafts but I heard that you have to remove all head gear when doing the security check and that includes post-op bandanas and the idea is filling me with dread.

Is this true? I can't remember much about airport security and I'd imagine it's very tight but I really don't fancy exposing my fresh transplant in front of lots of strangers (and god forbid I knew anyone!) so it has me a little concerned.

you have to remove anything on your head when you go through security and depending on what airports you go through passport control. I wore a bandana, it was a lot easier to take on and off

Ht #1: sure hair for men 21 years old unk amount of grafts. waste of money

Ht #2: 2005 with FUT with Dr Armani. Don't remember the amount of grafts. Great result re building the hairline and frontal thirs

HT #3: Jan 18 with Dr Doganay Fue: 2500 grafts, 600 crown, 400 into Fut scar, 400 temple rebuild, the rest into the front third to beef up the hairline. still waiting on results obviously

I think you might be blowing this a bit of out proportion, if they make you take off your hat when coming back through in Belgium, it'll be off for what... 10 or 15 seconds? The chances of someone you know being in the airport in Beligum (a different country), and just happening to see you during that brief moment, is basically 0%.

And who cares if a person in a different country you don't know and will never see again looks at your head and think "hmmm, wonder what happened"

I guess you're right. Just a little nervous because I haven't flown much due to aforementioned dislike of flying and this will be my first time doing it on my own as well.

Just an addition to save me starting a new thread, can any UK dwellers point me in the right direction of websites that I can book flights? I'm having real problems finding a direct flight from my local airport (Glasgow) to Brussels and I really don't fancy the stress of a stopover but I think I may be looking in the wrong places since I'm new to all this.

Flying is a real issue for me so I want to make the flight as quick as possible.

Thanks!

i worried about this exact same issue too

once thru the surgery...it toughened me up

one day post-op i even went hat-less in Vacouver @ an outdoor market

i was much braver and not at all worried about such things anymore

and I was surprised how no one stared, no one even notices

people are too concerned about their own lives, their own agenda

people just don't really care...i bet you will notice this.

also you could ask your regular doctor for some Xanax

it makes flying, airport stress, and post-op stress a breeze!

take a Xanax about an hour before you head to airport

you wont even blink if they ask you to remove a cap for 60 seconds

you'll be like "whatever sure :)"

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Xanax eh? That sounds just the ticket!

I'm not one for taking pills or medication unless it's necessary but something like that would really help. I'm seeing my GP in a couple of weeks for that very reason so I'll definitely mention it! :)

I went through Ataturks 2 security checks incl passport control with a black baseball hat and a huge bandage and never had to take it off once, the only thing I wish I had was a hoodie because the hat covered the hairline but the new transplanted temple points were fresh and raw for everyone to see, I got some looks but fk it I'm never going to see any of them again, you'll be fine :)

You could try skyscanner app for booking flight !

And i recently came back to Heathrow from Turkey - yes the ask to see your head for all of about 5 seconds. Seems they are pretty used to seeing people after their HTs ~! Certainly

no big deal. I came back the day after having mine done.

Xanax eh? That sounds just the ticket!

I'm not one for taking pills or medication unless it's necessary but something like that would really help. I'm seeing my GP in a couple of weeks for that very reason so I'll definitely mention it! :)

swayzedo....i too am not much on pills. never been anything close to a druggie, but I do suffer from very rare anxiety attacks, so when I fly or am in a dental chair I take a Xanax. For me it's been a miracle. I actually self medicated for my hair transplant surgery after discussing my anxiety with Dr. Wong. Xanax or Klonopin work about the same way...so either will work. Be careful driving on anything above .50 Xanax. Earlier I was on 1mg Xanax and found myself too groggy to drive.

Edited by Shampoo

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Why not relax there for a days and not take any risks? You could bump your head etc If you're close to the dr, you can ask him any more questions in person.

4066 FUE Grafts with Dr Bhatti, India 9&10 Jan 2014

For my pics and thread click the link:http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/173658-4066-fue-grafts-dr-bhatti-india-restoring-more-than-just-hair.html

I would stay at least 3-4 days if possible before flying back, there could be some remaining puffiness or swelling but your docs seems to do clean work and you could look reasonably clean by then (less blood etc.)

You would also want the clinic to give you the first wash and checkup post-op, this can help healing and remove some of the larger crusting areas.

For my first and largest procedure, I asked for a private room for the airport customs check, upon recommendations from this forum. I just told them I had surgery on my head and they agreed.

Good luck

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

honestly staying a few days just to go through customs wont make much a difference visually, you wil still have scabs all over and you may even start swelling and look worse. Going through security is really a non issue. Put all your stuff on the xray belt and make sure you wont set the detector off, wait until the last second and take your hat or bandana off right before you walk through the detector then quickly put it back on. Its funny theres lots of people in the line but everyone is so concered getting there stuff ready that no one even looks at you

Ht #1: sure hair for men 21 years old unk amount of grafts. waste of money

Ht #2: 2005 with FUT with Dr Armani. Don't remember the amount of grafts. Great result re building the hairline and frontal thirs

HT #3: Jan 18 with Dr Doganay Fue: 2500 grafts, 600 crown, 400 into Fut scar, 400 temple rebuild, the rest into the front third to beef up the hairline. still waiting on results obviously

don't forget to pre-select your seat on the plane in advance on the airline's website, towards the back and near the bathroom for spraying grafts and a little more privacy (or your preferred location on the plane)

forgot to mention that

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Hi - Take the Eurostar and come back the next day. This is exactly what I did when I went to Brussels. I have been for two procedures and was not asked to remove my hat. Security is much more relaxed on the train....

I was going to mention this as well. If you're really that anxious about flying you could just take the train.

Totally best to take the train you can be there in two hours from St Pancras, the security is much more laid back and you will arrive right in the city centre. I went to Bruge in December and arrived it Brussels so have done this journey very recently. More leg room and space on the train and you can get a return to London for ?70.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Oooh now that sounds like a very tempting option, I do enjoy a train journey.

If the Xanax works out I may fly over for my consultation but a nice train journey back home after my procedure sounds very relaxing! and less stressful!

I got through NY customs without having to take my hat off, when I got to the UK at Heathrow they did ask me to remove the hat but I said I'd had an operation on my head - the lady kindly allowed me through.

It was all a breeze. The worst part was the actual flight, I had a gorgeous girl next to me so my hopes of a hat-free flight were gone! Felt so claustrophobic :(

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

What'she deal if you keep your head wrapped in bandages when going through the security? I wouldn't mind that at all as it could be for anything and surely they wouldn't ask you to remove medical bandages?

Any thoughts?

I didn't remove the hat for the security check, I said I had a surgery and they let me pass with my famous "Maral-hat" on. The immigration also let me be without taking off the hat.

The person at the check-in asked to see, and another guy at a security post a few days later. But you will be post-surgery and it is OK to explain and ask for understanding.

• 1 month later...
Swayzedo, just to let you know i have just come back from Charleroi airport and no one asked me to remove my bandana at any point.

Hey London, you went with BHR too if I recall, ya? How'd it go?

2,200 FUE + PRP with Dr Bisanga - BHR Clinic, 22-23 August 2013 - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171950-my-fue-2-200-prp-dr-bisanga-bhr-clinic.html

Current Regimen:

- Rogaine 5% Foam 2x daily

- Jasons Restorative Biotin Shampoo 2x daily / Nizoral 2% 2x weekly

- Nettle Root 500mg, MSM 1500mg, Biotin 5mg, Multi Vit, Omega 3