Why am I so apprehensive to use "Concealers"?

First let me say that I have another very long tread on the use of concealers on this forum. I dont see them as concealers but rather a hair thickening product like anything else that may be used. I think the term " Concealer" gives it a negative conotation.

I used Toppik from 2000 to 2009 with great success. It was a life saver for me. Now I have had 2 procedures and halfway through with my second (crown) so more growth to come. Even still, I know there will be a few weak areas. Based on my current progress, my crown result will be very good. But, I am in no mood to go in for a third to touch up a few weak areas and as I said, it will look good anyway at 12 months.

However, if I use Nanogen, I know I can make the results even better. I am talking just a few shakes and thats it. No different than applying any other volumizer. I tried it the other day (used very little on the crown) and I was shocked at how my crown essentially looked 100% full (again, using VERY little). However, I feel like I would rather keep it somewhat thin than use Nanogen. I feel like this is sort of irrational. Why not use an inexpensive, easy to apply, and small amount if it will make the crown look 50% better? For some reason I am torn which is odd since I had no issue using it before any surgeries for 9 years with great success and nobody ever detected a thing even at the hairline.

I am asking you guys to put you physcologist hats on and explan why I am so apprehensive to use it. I would only use it on the crown. I was a NW 6 and we really need to use all the tools available to us (As Dr. Ron S has always said). My apprenension is especially odd since I have used it in the past and was very happy with it.

There are many respective members on here who use it such as Aaron (he uses Dermatch actually).

Edited by Cant decide

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

I think it's mainly because concealers are temporary and not completely reliable. What I mean is you can't say with certainty you'll be able to apply concealer perfectly every single day. You might miss a day. You might mess it up a little. It might rain and mess up your look, or you could rub your head unintentionally on something. It's not entirely reliable. It's a commitment that is accompanied with more worry and uncertainty. So to some it can seem like a pointless charade.

And all it takes is one day without concealer and people will "know" :eek: (we're all a little paranoid).

I think part of it is just wanting to be free. That's why people get transplants, or at least part of the reason. I feel like that's why I went forward with mine. I didn't want to have to style my hair to hide it and I wanted to feel more confident. So I think it is a reasonable feeling to want to be free of concealing, rather it be combing your hair a certain way, or using concealer, especially after the financial and emotional debt you pay after two large procedures. I think that I would personally think that I would rather have a thinner spot than dealing with concealer every day. The best thing about your situation is that it will likely not get worse given your original high nw status.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Thanks guys. I think your both right in some ways. If I did use it, it would be just a little to give the crown an edge; not to cover it up entirely. The true test is would the same person that saw you on back to back days with and without it, notice anything (other than subcontiously thinking you had a better hair day with it). If not, then your using a good small amount. If not, then your using too much and your a " Prisoner" to it.

I would aim for just a touch and not necessarily use it every day. If someone found an amazing volumizing clay, they would have no issue using it every day right?

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

With all do respect I feel this question is a bit narcissistic. Please let me explain before rushing to judgment. Let me preface this by saying that I am sincerely happy for you in that you have had two successful hair transplants. With that being said, I think that you asked this question to affirm your decision to have these procedures. Many patients' procedures end up a failure or at least below expectations. Many hair loss sufferers can't afford to have one procedure, much less two, take time off work, etc. I think by posting this, you are separating yourself from some who are less fortunate and may need to use concealers, as that is their only feasible solution. This makes you proud and confident. Please don't take this as an insult. Everyone in their lives have behaved narcissistically at some point. Most people just don't know what the word actually means. I actually think in this specific scenario its going to be beneficial as you should theoretically have more confidence.

I think Spanker would be spot on with his analysis if this post were never created in the first place. Spaker's position is most definitely, that he got a hair transplant to free himself from the confines of hair loss. That makes sense. The difference is that he didn't create a thread that brought attention to a separation. In other words, you are asking a community of people that don't know you what so ever to explain something that only you really know the answers to. Bringing attention to your success and separating yourself from others. If you still needed to use concealers, you would most likely feel defeated. There is also a possibility that using concealers resurface memories and thought processes in your past where you were in a more precarious and insecure period of your life. Through your own admission, you stated concealers worked well for you for many years. Now you don't really need them and wanted to bring attention to that. My intentions are not to make you feel bad or ashamed, in fact quite the opposite. I am trying to give you an honest assessment to your inquiry.

Edited by DISpHAIR

With all do respect I feel this question is a bit narcissistic. Please let me explain before rushing to judgment. Let me preface this by saying that I am sincerely happy for you in that you have had two successful hair transplants. With that being said, I think that you asked this question to affirm your decision to have these procedures. Many patients' procedures end up a failure or at least below expectations. Many hair loss sufferers can't afford to have one procedure, much less two, take time off work, etc. I think by posting this, you are separating yourself from some who are less fortunate and may need to use concealers, as that is their only feasible solution. This makes you proud and confident. Please don't take this as an insult. Everyone in their lives have behaved narcissistically at some point. Most people just don't know what the word actually means. I actually think in this specific scenario its going to be beneficial as you should theoretically have more confidence.

I think Spanker would be spot on with his analysis if this post were never created in the first place. Spaker's position is most definitely, that he got a hair transplant to free himself from the confines of hair loss. That makes sense. The difference is that he didn't create a thread that brought attention to a separation. In other words, you are asking a community of people that don't know you what so ever to explain something that only you really know the answers to. Bringing attention to your success and separating yourself from others. If you still needed to use concealers, you would most likely feel defeated. There is also a possibility that using concealers resurface memories and thought processes in your past where you were in a more precarious and insecure period of your life. Through your own admission, you stated concealers worked well for you for many years. Now you don't really need them and wanted to bring attention to that. My intentions are not to make you feel bad or ashamed, in fact quite the opposite. I am trying to give you an honest assessment to your inquiry.

Very interesting. Thanks for your perspective. While I indeed have had success with the HT process, I agree that using concealer type products may bring back memories of a time when I was much worse off. This may be where the apprehension may be coming from. I suppose its typical hair greed and forgetting where you came from. I try to stay grounded but this is a game of absolutes. I dont walk around with a pre op pic next to my head at all times so people are not seeing me now relative to preop but instead, how I look now which I think is pretty darn good but not anywhere near perfect. Nor did I ever expect that. I think you see my point.

To your point about creating seraration, look at all these guys on here who are NW 2 and talk like its the end of the world when they know darn well there are desperate NW 6|7 on here as well as all the repair guys. This also causes the separation you speak of and I do react to it a bit snarky to myself thinking, "This guy is making a big deal over that". Almost as if its being rubbed in our faces even though I KNOW this is not their intent. Its all a matter of perspective.

Again, I really do appreciate your feedback. It has given me somthing to think about.

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

The narcissism slant is a bit of a stretch, IMO. Narcissism implies he is so enamored with his own good results and isn't afraid of boasting them to others. It is egotism. I don't see CantDecide as being the type who would rub his good HT results in other poster's faces, subconsciously or not. I think it's just the opposite of narcissism--insecurity and fear. Fear that despite spending all that time and money on HTs you still need to rely on concealer. Fear that the concealer might not be applied correctly and raise suspicion. Fear that you'll get hooked on the concealer (yes, it is addictive) and that you'll be stuck using it all over again. I say, screw fear, and damn the concealer!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

The narcissism slant is a bit of a stretch, IMO. Narcissism implies he is so enamored with his own good results and isn't afraid of boasting them to others. It is egotism. I don't see CantDecide as being the type who would rub his good HT results in other poster's faces, subconsciously or not. I think it's just the opposite of narcissism--insecurity and fear. Fear that despite spending all that time and money on HTs you still need to rely on concealer. Fear that the concealer might not be applied correctly and raise suspicion. Fear that you'll get hooked on the concealer (yes, it is addictive) and that you'll be stuck using it all over again. I say, screw fear, and damn the concealer!

Thanks Hairthere. So your saying don't use it? I don't need it but it is so temping to think just a few SMALL shakes and I can shrink my crown by another 50%. In some ways I think "Why the hell not", its just a haircare product. However, I am apprehensive for all the reasons you list.

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

I'm glad i'm not the only one. I have bought all types of concealers, but somehow after a few days of wearing a certain product I hate it. It's awesome upon first application and then suddenly I end up not liking the product. It's not the product I don't like, it's the hasstle, the fear of dependancy and the little unknown of getting caught.

Plus it will make you think your natural hair looks worse than it really is, just becasue of personal perception since "you" know about the concealer and the look it provides when applied vs. not applied. If you apply it all the time, your perception becomes permanently skewed.

Concealer like toppik is only beneficial for early, and mild crown recession where the hairs have thinned but their is no bald spot. Anything more then a few shakes and your going to end up looking like someone strangled you in a cloud of dust. Toppik looks like chalk, and looks like utter crap when applied near the hairline. Anyone who says it's undetectable is delusional, I consider myself artistically inept, and pay attention to find detail, having been in the comb over game for awhile, and yeah it isn't fooling anyone because it looks suspicious, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone thought it was a early 90s wig. Doesn't have the freedom of movement of normal hair considering it needs to be locked down, and patented down.

As I said, sparingly used it works amazing with the crown, but any where else and it's more trouble then it is a solution. Key word sparingly used to add volume and it's a great solution but when you used it to cover bald spots, it's more of a problem than a solution

hairloss.gif

CD, I'd say apply it when you feel it's necessary. If it's just your crown I wouldn't be overly concerned with any of the aforementioned "fears." I still use a touch of concealer now and again, mostly when going swimming. Once I get another tech trained and working for me I'll have some SMP done (my brother wants to experiment so I might let him).

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I'm glad i'm not the only one. I have bought all types of concealers, but somehow after a few days of wearing a certain product I hate it. It's awesome upon first application and then suddenly I end up not liking the product. It's not the product I don't like, it's the hasstle, the fear of dependancy and the little unknown of getting caught.

Plus it will make you think your natural hair looks worse than it really is, just becasue of personal perception since "you" know about the concealer and the look it provides when applied vs. not applied. If you apply it all the time, your perception becomes permanently skewed.

100% agree. Especially with perception becoming skewed!

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

CD, I'd say apply it when you feel it's necessary. If it's just your crown I wouldn't be overly concerned with any of the aforementioned "fears." I still use a touch of concealer now and again, mostly when going swimming. Once I get another tech trained and working for me I'll have some SMP done (my brother wants to experiment so I might let him).

If I do it, it would be strictly the crown and not on the bare spot but just a light sprinkle around the edges of the bare spot. I really dont need it but I am getting a bit greedy. Of course, I am only at 6 months so I will wait until 12 months and evaluate if it makes sense at that point.

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

Interesting. I am apprehensive about using toppik on the crown for the simple reason I can't see it and other people (e.g., behind me in a line) can. An idea that I might sweat or have a rain drop or something mess it up makes me feel quite uncomfortable. It's different with the top because other people can't really have a close look and I can check it in the mirror from time to time.

Hair is there,

I think you should look up what the word narcissism means. I don't mean to b e disrespectful as I know you are highly intelligent and will be successful with your new business. Most people attribute that word with egotism, such as you did, when in actuality it means the complete opposite. Narcissism is a type of behavior that people use when they are insecure about something. Sort of separating them from the pack. Now I don't by any means think cant decide behaves this way on a regular basis. In fact I was very impressed by his response to my post as most people would incorrectly find it offensive.

I just found it interesting that he asked a question that only he could truly answer. I want to add that I think almost everyone on here is great with both of you included. I mean that sincerely. Everyone is so supportive and provides great information. I know I have learned so much from this network. I was trying to honestly assess his motivation. I could certainly be wrong with my assessment. I feel like I have a unique perspective in this specific category, that being personality and motivation. In any event, cant decide has had a life changing hair transplant that I'm sure he is thrilled about and that is what is most important. So in conclusion, I once again would like to congratulate you on such a successful transformation.

disphair,

You're correct that as a psychological disorder it can stem from feelings of insecurity. And I understand you are saying CD is perhaps displaying narcissistic traits by posing this question, not that he is a narcissist per se, but I don't believe that's at play here.

Edited by hairthere

I think you should look up what the word narcissism means. I don't mean to b e disrespectful.... In fact I was very impressed by his response to my post as most people would incorrectly find it offensive. I just found it interesting that he asked a question that only he could truly answer..

Jezzz dude can't you give your "theory" a break? You've been respectful...and I am not upset...but maybe you are over analyzing a simple straight-forward question? Naturally many patients have some post-op self-doubt and like to hear other patients opinions and experiences. Yes sometimes people may "wonder out loud" about questions only they can answer. Isn't it clear that sometimes people need some re-enforcement for what they already might know? It's almost narcissistic‎ of you to be so obsessed with your theory about Cant Decide. Don't all humans have some degree of narcissism? So basically who cares if his question had possibly an element of narcissism?

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Shampoo,

I don't care if his question has elements of narcissism. I was simply doing exactly what he asked this community to do in his original post. That is to put on our psychological hats and to give an opinion as to why he's apprehensive to wear concealers. I answered his question with a theory based on my education and experience. Like I said in my earlier post, I could be wrong. Maybe it is simpler than I think, like you stated. I don't know what gave you the impression I was obsessed with my theory regarding Can't Decide as I only really made one post, then responded to Hairthere. Also, I did state that I feel like all humans have a bit of narcissism to them in my original post. All I was trying to do is provide my perspective of his question objectively. I hardly ever post on here, so I don't understand how you think Im obsessing over this. I wont provide my perspective on issues on here if its going to be misinterpreted and cause more damage than it will help.

Shampoo,

I don't care if his question has elements of narcissism. I was simply doing exactly what he asked this community to do in his original post. That is to put on our psychological hats and to give an opinion as to why he's apprehensive to wear concealers. I answered his question with a theory based on my education and experience. Like I said in my earlier post, I could be wrong. Maybe it is simpler than I think, like you stated. I don't know what gave you the impression I was obsessed with my theory regarding Can't Decide as I only really made one post, then responded to Hairthere. Also, I did state that I feel like all humans have a bit of narcissism to them in my original post. All I was trying to do is provide my perspective of his question objectively. I hardly ever post on here, so I don't understand how you think Im obsessing over this. I wont provide my perspective on issues on here if its going to be misinterpreted and cause more damage than it will help.

No worries guys. Lets move on. I really just wanted to know how you guys felt about using concealers to enhance an already good HT. I likely should have just asked it differently. I appreciate people taking the time to respond.

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

lot of armchair psychology going on here :-)

Simples if you dont mind commiting to the restictive routine go for it with the concealer.

Am not personally a fan but they can work great for saving your a$$ whilst waiting for a procedure to come in.

Would be loathe to commit to concealer long term. Would be far better off saving for an additional procedure.

Shampoo, I answered his question with a theory based on my education and experience. Like I said in my earlier post, I could be wrong. Maybe it is simpler than I think, like you stated.

Fair enough....

My gut tells me that people after a surgery or two don't want to use concealers because they think "wow...I've spent all this time, money, discomfort, and I still need concealers". It can cause some doubt about whether "it was really worth it".

It's difficult for us sometimes to totally buy into the reality of the "illusion of density".

I've had the same feeling CantDecide has, like "wow why am I still needing concealers?".

But I am ok with it and I know there has been great improvement regardless if I still need some concealer.

And like CantDecide...I hope after my crown is done, I wont need concealer anymore.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Shampoo, I think you hit the nail on the head there. The reality for me is that after nearly 7k grafts I still have thin spots. When my hair is dry, and with proper styling no one can detect them. But using some concealer gives me total coverage and more security. (I'm sure this is what Can't Decided is going through).

When my hair is wet and in direct sunlight the "illusion of density" doesn't work as well. I can use concealer and/or SMP to cover for now. But eventually I will likely go for one more HT to cover the thin spots up front. I think another 2k will get my frontal area close to pre-MPB density. My crown I would just continue to use SMP.

I just spoke to my wife about this. She is utterly perplexed as to why this is even a debate whether to use concealer or not. She named about 50 things that both men and woman do, similar to using concealers to simply make themselves feel better. She does not think I need it but she said if it makes me feel better, why let the product go unused? I used it for almost 10 years and loved it so why not use it to make me 100% confident instead of the 80% I am at now :). As long as it is used SPARINGLY, whats the big deal? As long as you dont feel trapped to use it every day then its fine. My bare spot left after this op is about 2x2 inches. Really not that bad considering where I came from. I am only at 6 months but I know where the other areas will be that I would like a little thicker. I just tried it again tonight. I used soooo little on the crown and it made me look like I had 98% of my hair. Therefore, I would even use less which is hard to believe. A 15 g can would last me 6 months at that rate. I would use it to thicken the bare spot borders to shrink it to 1 inch by 1 inch as well as a bit along the right back.

I am rambling but it just came so clear to me "Just use it!" As long as its not abused. Leaving a small bare spot will certainly go a long way into reducing suspicion. Spreaking of which, I always here people say its a hassle, fear of being detected, etc. Maybe if you use alot of the stuff but I never found it a hassle at all. I can apply it well in 2 minutes and in 10 years when I was using it, nobody has ever called me out on it (and that was on the hairline!). Even woman I dated and of course was physically close to. I think these things are overblown.

Well, thanks for listening to my rant :)

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts