Looking at HT FUT method, 21 pleas advise

Hey guys, I am looking into getting a hair transplant. I know so many people recommend against it at my age, but I think with the combined fact of using rogaine, propecia I can preserve current hair and get my receding hairline corrected.

I only went to one doctor, the PAI group in Indianapolis,IN The Hair Restoration and Hair Transplant Experts - PAI Medical Indiana which I really cannot find anything negative about. I spoke with the doctor, saw previous patients in person, etc.

I guess because I have awesome donor hair, I believe they said some of the best they've see, I am very qualified.. (they took some scope to my head and showed me how most follicles have 3 or 2 hairs instead of one.. like most people that have one) The doctor said in my lifetime if I need more surgeries I could get probably at least 3 more after this. I am currently at a norwood 3 and they would be basically redoing my hairline and thickening the thinning frontal area.

They want to book my apt this month because a spot came open which is going to save me some money... We are looking at a pricing of about $8,000 for 3800-5500 hairs.. the hariline and some of the area about the sideburn would be restored... I am looking to see if this is a decent pricing option for FUT. I know the doctor has had good success, although not listed on this site. I need to get back to them tomorrow.

I've attached the hairline drawn on. The reason I feel confident is the fact that they asked to use my pictures on the website and if I would be willing to review. If they were not confident in success of this, then I dont think that would have been a question. Advise would help!

correction.jpg.49578fc5ad9c2388b51d77964fc0cd55.jpg

Honestly, whilst this doctor maybe an undiscovered gem, I'd seek a few consultations with some coalition doctors and get a feel for it. Dont rush into it, speak to a few and see who you get the best feeling about. I spent about a year doing this before booking my surgery.

You do look a good candidate (although Im no expert of course) for some restorative surgery.

Are you currently taking propecia/minoxidil? if not, I would start treatment on that to halt any further loss.

Good luck, its a great thing to do if done correctly, I was a Norwood 3 before my journey, having jus completed my second transplant, currently in the waiting part of it all.

You dont need to get back to them tomorrow, dont let them pressure you to close a sale, you only get a few shots at this, make sure you make it the right choice.

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/journal.asp?CopyID=10024&WebID=2832

October 2011 - 1647 FUT - Dr Dorin

January 2014 - 1580 FUT - Dr Dorin

Most people have a combination of 1,2 3 and even 4-hair grafts in the donor area. You might have great donor density but what concerns me is this clinic wanting you to book for this month and that you need to get back to them by tomorrow?! This isn't buying a car! This is serious surgery that needs to be considered and thought about VERY thoroughly. Attempting to pressure you into surgery by stipulating a deadline is borderline unethical in my eyes. Sounds like they just want to fill in a vacancy and are tempting you with a cheaper rate. DO NOT fall for this.

As much as you want to solve your situation, you want to analyze ALL avenues and possibilities. You need to educate yourself on surgeons, methods, potential ramifications, how the surgeon deals with unsuccessful results(they can occur regardless of a "guarantee"), does the surgeon use, blades for incisions, does he/she use needles for incisions, I could go on all day. What you are thinking about doing now is merely rolling a dice and hoping it lands on a 6. Please take a step back and use your time to research! When you think you have done enough research, do more. I have been heavily studying hair transplants for over 2 years now and I'm still constantly learning new things and crossing certain surgeons off my list. Be an educated patient and the chances of a successful procedure will increase ten-fold.

I've already discussed it with my family and have been back in forth with them for about a month and a half. This spot came open because of and illness and they are booked for about 8 weeks. They knew I was looking to do it soon sometime in winter.

I completely agree with Jay and Mickey. Don't rush into it. Get a few consultations from well known and reputable Doctors before you take the plunge. Don't only think about the price, you don't want to end up regretting it, especially at such a young age. If you need to travel, than so be it. Take your time, research and be patient. Make a wise decision when considering a hair transplant. Just read about all the horror stories people post. Good luck with everything man.

P.S...the fact that they said you have to get back to them by tomorrow tells me enough. It is very unethical. I wouldn't go with them. I've never heard of this place to be honest.

Well you sound sold, but like I say, I wouldnt rush, I know you want your hair sorting, I get that.

But, have you seen/spoken to any previous patients of this outfit?

I just wouldnt use anyone that I wasnt 100% sure is tried and tested, and pressure to book? nah, walk.

How many "grafts" did they quote you for $8,000US? I noticed you said 3,500-5,500 HAIRS but how many grafts? There is a big discrepancy between the two. I really think you need to stand back and research a whole lot more before diving head-first into cosmetic surgery...

Uh... The high pressure sales tactic is a dead giveaway. Think this through dude. It really doesn't feel like you've done your due diligence on this, and I would urge you to wait. I don't even understand the pricing scheme. Why would they give you a quote for $8000 for a huge range of hairs, or do you mean grafts. If you're mixing up the terminology that alone makes me think you need to step back.

A reputable clinic would never give you the time sensitive pressure sales tactic, use unclear terminology (hairs vs grafts), or give a convoluted pricing scheme. This sounds BAD...

Omg, that bull**** about a spot opening up? Really? That's the oldest one in the book and reeks of DESPERATION. Seriously, for the same amount of money you can go to a reputable, proven clinic.

Uh... The high pressure sales tactic is a dead giveaway. Think this through dude. It really doesn't feel like you've done your due diligence on this, and I would urge you to wait. I don't even understand the pricing scheme. Why would they give you a quote for $8000 for a huge range of hairs, or do you mean grafts. If you're mixing up the terminology that alone makes me think you need to step back.

A reputable clinic would never give you the time sensitive pressure sales tactic, use unclear terminology (hairs vs grafts), or give a convoluted pricing scheme. This sounds BAD...

Omg, that bull**** about a spot opening up? Really? That's the oldest one in the book and reeks of DESPERATION. Seriously, for the same amount of money you can go to a reputable, proven clinic.

Exactly.

In addition, this clinic uses "Multi unit grafting" in conjunction with true follicular units. This quote from there website is VERY concerning:

"Our doctors at PAI Medical discovered that by combining Micro and Follicular Unit Grafts with the strengths and advantages of the Multi Unit Grafts, we are able to create a more natural hair line that is both age and gender specific."

Hairlines should ONLY USE SINGLE HAIR GRAFTS NOT MULTI/MICRO HAIR GRAFTS! Micro-units have been rendered obsolete and archaic, no reputable clinic uses them as they result in an unpleasant and un-natural look.

Avoid this clinic like the plague. Seriously. There are so many better clinics who are much more ethical, charge the same or less and have better techniques and knowledge.

Have to agree with the other posters here. I would not

Fall for such blatent sales talk.

Go with a surgeon that is recommended ! There is no

Rush. Slow it down. Get some in person consultations done.

Or by video if in another country.

Are you sure you want a scar at your age? No doubt you

Will want to have your hair short.

I would be looking for fue if I was in your shoes.

Its possible some Surgeons may not recommend surgery yet because

Of your age.

In addition, this clinic uses "Multi unit grafting" in conjunction with true follicular units. This quote from there website is VERY concerning:

"Our doctors at PAI Medical discovered that by combining Micro and Follicular Unit Grafts with the strengths and advantages of the Multi Unit Grafts, we are able to create a more natural hair line that is both age and gender specific."

Hairlines should ONLY USE SINGLE HAIR GRAFTS NOT MULTI/MICRO HAIR GRAFTS! Micro-units have been rendered obsolete and archaic, no reputable clinic uses them as they result in an unpleasant and un-natural look.

Avoid this clinic like the plague. Seriously. There are so many better clinics who are much more ethical, charge the same or less and have better techniques and knowledge.

Omg, it gets worse.

Seriously? "Micro Grafting" ? That is straight up prehistoric, archaic bulls***. No reputable clinic even uses the word micro-grafting let alone consider it as a viable technique. Run for the hills dude.

The OP should be counting his lucky stars he found this forum before going under the knife. I hope he listens to our advice.

You have two of the top surgeons in the world for FUT within driving distance of Indianapolis. Konior in Chicago and Ron Shapiro in Minneapolis. You would be doing yourself a great disservice if you didn't consult with them first.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

What is their pricing look like? That is huge for me. This was his response to the grafts

We talk about hair numbers because we use a blended graft approach which transplants 2-3 times more hair in a single procedure than is typically done.

Most places base what the patient is getting on graft numbers because each graft has 1, 2 or 3 hairs per graft. You can transplant about 1600 grafts in a single 5 hour procedure. You can do more more however the growth rates drop significantly because the time of the procedure is to long and tissue can only be out side the body so long. With 1, 2 and 3 haired grafts, called micro and follicular units, you will end up getting about 1.5 hairs per graft actually growing so if you have 1600 grafts you get about 2600 hairs.

You may remember PAI uses what's called Multi Unit Hair Grafting. With this approach we use some of the 1,2 and 3 haired grafts but additionally we use grafts called Multi Unit grafts. These grafts can have 2-3 follicles in one graft so if you have a 3 follicle graft, and each follicle had 2 hairs, then you have 6 hairs in a graft. These grafts still look natural because we keep the natural space between each follicle and they have the advantage of giving more cosmetic impact.

So with Multi-Unit hair grafting we use a range of different graft types. Let's say we use 1350 grafts with you. Around 700 of them might be Multi unit grafts with an average 5.5 hairs per graft then the remaining grafts would be the 1,2 and 3 haired grafts for a total of around 5000 hairs.

With the approach we use you get more density, better growth rates, a natural look and better value because we are able to transplant more hair in one procedure and you don't typically need multiple procedures in the same area.

I'm happy to discuss this further with you, or whomever it is that your liaising with, via a ph call if needed. There is also a lot of information on our website and lots of before and after picture examples of the density and coverage we can give in a single procedure

What is their pricing look like? That is huge for me.

Money and travel shouldn't be the primary considerations when it comes to hair transplantation, although I know that's not realistic for everyone. First and foremost you want a top surgeon who has a proven track record of delivering stellar results. Both Konior and Shapiro are considered among the best.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

What is their pricing look like? That is huge for me. This was his response to the grafts

We talk about hair numbers because we use a blended graft approach which transplants 2-3 times more hair in a single procedure than is typically done.

Most places base what the patient is getting on graft numbers because each graft has 1, 2 or 3 hairs per graft. You can transplant about 1600 grafts in a single 5 hour procedure. You can do more more however the growth rates drop significantly because the time of the procedure is to long and tissue can only be out side the body so long. With 1, 2 and 3 haired grafts, called micro and follicular units, you will end up getting about 1.5 hairs per graft actually growing so if you have 1600 grafts you get about 2600 hairs.

You may remember PAI uses what's called Multi Unit Hair Grafting. With this approach we use some of the 1,2 and 3 haired grafts but additionally we use grafts called Multi Unit grafts. These grafts can have 2-3 follicles in one graft so if you have a 3 follicle graft, and each follicle had 2 hairs, then you have 6 hairs in a graft. These grafts still look natural because we keep the natural space between each follicle and they have the advantage of giving more cosmetic impact.

So with Multi-Unit hair grafting we use a range of different graft types. Let's say we use 1350 grafts with you. Around 700 of them might be Multi unit grafts with an average 5.5 hairs per graft then the remaining grafts would be the 1,2 and 3 haired grafts for a total of around 5000 hairs.

With the approach we use you get more density, better growth rates, a natural look and better value because we are able to transplant more hair in one procedure and you don't typically need multiple procedures in the same area.

I'm happy to discuss this further with you, or whomever it is that your liaising with, via a ph call if needed. There is also a lot of information on our website and lots of before and after picture examples of the density and coverage we can give in a single procedure

Complete BS. I had nearly 8,000 hairs in 1,2,3 hair grafts in a procedure lasting 16 hours without problems.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Hi,

I wanted to echo that you should really listen to the people here - I would worry that the hair transplant clinic is taking advantage of you. We know how distressing hair loss is - that's why we're here :).

While finasteride will help, there is no guarantee what will happen in 20 or 30 years, which is a long time to ask the medication to work. Maybe there will be hair cloning, but no guarantees on that either. Despite what you think now - you will care what you look like when you're 40 or 50.

To be honest, you look better now that you would after a bad hair transplant. If you think a proper HT is expensive - a repair is even more expensive. Have you ever tried buzzing your hair down? You could even augment it with temporary scalp micropigmentation. If in a few years, your hair loss is stable or there is a better sense of where you are going with your hair loss - go for the transplant with the resources to do it right. Some HT physicians will plan a very conservative transplant to improve how your hair looks, with the knowledge that even if you were to progress to a Norwood VII you would still look o.k., and if you don't progress they can advance it in the future.

Also, I'd like to note that in 20 years time I'm confident something will be available. If not, I've seen transplants in the crown from body hair even, and that is really the only other concern. The doctor and the consultationists were basically in awe about how incredible my donner hair is.

I don't know why it is so hard to figure out what you should be paying for this.

The doctor and the consultationists were basically in awe about how incredible my donner hair is.

Typical sales tactics.

21 is a bit early to be getting a strip scar and you look like you are well on your way to Norwood 6 or 7. Who knows what may happen to your donor - it could have diffuse thinning in a few years.

I know a guy who had great hair 10 years ago and it is now patchy all over.

Stop worrying about price and start getting advice from reputable doctors!

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day