Complexity of the fallible youth swallowing reality and chasing hair loss

WHTC-7706631290

The individuals who suffer most from androgenic hair loss may be the younger individuals. Younger individuals are developing into their adult form and are more impressionable by social influences. They begin to notice the effects from hair loss in their social lives and are typically far more conscientious about any physical changes that they experience. Young people get through school graduation, immerse themselves into a career field, and begin living as large as the possibly can. Younger adults want to believe that they are invincible until they begin seeing the effects of natural maturation. By the teenage years, males can begin to see noticeable hair loss. Close to forty percent of a male’s hair will be gone before it clearly becomes noticeable. Most women won’t see changes until their forties. The first action that young hair loss sufferers take is to research the causes of hair loss. The next order of operation is to change the situation by the quickest means possible. Any person who seeks hair restoration should take into consideration that there is a long list of products that can provide hope for their predicament. Young adult males just want to be who they were in the past and feel like they did before they lost their hair. The hair loss crushes their confidence and seems to rob their hope to attain dreams. Hair loss in youth almost always advances the appearance of premature aging.

There has been an increase in the number of young men undergoing surgical treatment for their hair loss. These days we have adopted the notion that we can only feel good if we look good. The definition of good should be defined as having a natural physical appearance with good mental, physical, and emotional health. Treating hair loss isn’t just a physical solution because the gains that patients experience from hair regrowth are physical and physiological. Hair loss solutions can often change the way a person thinks altogether.

It’s difficult to face the fact that hair transplant patients and patients on medical therapy may be chasing this problem much further than they may anticipate. Our purpose for instructing against surgery as the first and only course of action is to save patients from themselves. Ethical clinics know that younger patients may not know what their best interests are while others simply look to make financial profits. All patients, whether they be young or suffer from advanced hair loss, should know that surgery comes with its effects. Any surgery will produce a scar that may or may not be noticeable. Young male patients who just want surgery need to take a step back and look at the whole problem.

We can forecast hair loss to be constant. Hence the reason why young hair loss sufferers and individuals with advanced hair loss should still commit to medical therapy. Whether to be on medical therapy for hair loss is a very personal decision. Whether hair loss sufferers pursue surgical hair restoration is not as important as the decision to maintain their existing hair. Not only do individuals who suffer from hair loss want hair but they should also want to keep it as well. Hair transplant surgery, medical therapy, and other hair loss solutions all require financial responsibility. Swallowing a pill and the reality of hair loss isn’t easy especially if the results aren't visible until six to twelve months. The commitment to a treatment plan is crucial because the nature of hair loss is progressive. The crown can be complicated to treat as it can continue to recede on all sides. Suffering from advanced hair loss requires that patients prioritize very specific goals that are consistent with administration of medical therapy. Many patients will have about six thousand donor follicular units available for hair transplantation. The donor resources of each patient are very finite and reserving donor supply is critical due to the fact that future hair loss is unpredictable. We can slow the progression of hair loss but we can by no means control it. We are at the cusp of 2014 and we are just now advancing hair transplant surgery with cell therapy. It’s imperative for prospective hair transplant patients to develop realistic expectations based on the possibility that they may be unable to treat all of their future hair loss. It can be very hard for a patient to acknowledge this uncertainty. It is a very unfortunate position for a young individual to be in to expect more hair loss after already having lost a significant amount of hair. The situation can complicate much further if the donor area has been entirely consumed.

Meet WHTC's Dr. Patrick Mwamba in London - Free consultations on Feb. 15th, 2014 (Sat.)

1d702355-ad2d-4090-a26a-739f16e01600_zps139261de.jpg

My opinions are based on my beliefs and are simply my own. I am one representative of the WHTC clinic.

Free Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

Brussels, Belgium - Available

London, United Kingdom - Available

Zurich, Switzerland - Available

Bologna, Italy - Available

Follow us: Facebook - Youtube - Pinterest

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 2 weeks later...

@Spanker

Hi. Well, I would say that young would include males from the ages of eighteen to twenty-seven. If a male patient can wait for surgery by utilizing other means, the natural progression of their hair loss could stabilize for just enough time to delay the use of significant donor resources. Delaying time can at least allow young men to better manage their donor supply. The individuals with a strong history of hairloss that don’t show advanced hairloss should be most cautious. Obviously each individual is different and should be treated as such.

Free Consultation Dates & Cities with Dr. Patrick Mwamba, MD

London, United Kingdom - February 15, 2014 (Saturday)

Zurich, Switzerland - March 8, 2014 (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - June 5, 2014 (Saturday)

My opinions are not necessarily the opinions of Dr. Patrick Mwamba.

My opinions are based on my beliefs and are simply my own. I am one representative of the WHTC clinic.

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

These are some good points. I found it difficult myself to decide when it was a "safe" time have surgery. I was in my early 30's and did want to wait another 5 years when I may or may not have a 8 or more cm forehead. So, I went for it. I agree that there is a gamble when getting a transplant, especially for those under young (even 35 and younger) and transplanting a hairline, and a balance in a person's wants and the finite donor supply.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I would say that young would include males from the ages of eighteen to twenty-seven. If a male patient can wait for surgery by utilizing other means, the natural progression of their hair loss could stabilize for just enough time to delay the use of significant donor resources. Delaying time can at least allow young men to better manage their donor supply. The individuals with a strong history of hairloss that don’t show advanced hairloss should be most cautious. Obviously each individual is different and should be treated as such.

I agree with these sentiments. I was tempted in my 20s by all those Bosley ads where the hair magically floated from the back of the head to the front. I couldn't afford it but I thought about taking out a loan or financing it. For whatever reason - life obligations or my inner voice - I didn't do it. Thank God. Because I would have been a repair case now.

When you're in your late 30s/40s, you have a better perspective on things. Plus your hair loss pattern is more fully realized. Not to mention, if you wait, there will be advancements in hair restoration and battling hair loss. Time is your ally, in my opinion. It's hard to see that when you're in your 20s or early 30s and you're losing your hair, but I'm incredibly thankful things conspired against me having a HT then.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

• 2 weeks later...

I totally agree about the importance of proper management of expectations. The failure lies where expectations aren't realistic. Sure the perception of an individual plays a part in seeing the results but clinics do patients justice when they don't lead them toward ideation of fantasy. Younger patients will set themselves up even further because they won't think about tomorrow.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Time is your ally, in my opinion. It's hard to see that when you're in your 20s or early 30s and you're losing your hair, but I'm incredibly thankful things conspired against me having a HT then.

I agree with everything you said, but on the flip side looks are also most important when you're younger. I think the age range 25-35 is sort of the gray area for getting a HT... if you can get away with a HT at 25, you may enjoy excellent results and get to do so while still quite young. Waiting til 35+ is safer, but you also probably had to live with hair you didn't like for maybe 10+ years when looks were even more important. It can be a tough balancing act to negotiate.

I agree with everything you said, but on the flip side looks are also most important when you're younger. I think the age range 25-35 is sort of the gray area for getting a HT... if you can get away with a HT at 25, you may enjoy excellent results and get to do so while still quite young. Waiting til 35+ is safer, but you also probably had to live with hair you didn't like for maybe 10+ years when looks were even more important. It can be a tough balancing act to negotiate.

Well said. It is a balancing act. I waited until 33 and will be 35 in a couple of days. I am pretty happy I will probably be fairly carefree till about 40 unless something drastically changes. I have a spot here or there that I may want touched before then, but I don't lay awake at night upset anymore. It has really freed a lot of brain power to concentrate on other things.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 2 weeks later...

I had mine in 1997 at age 34 and I'm extremely happy I did. I haven't worn a hat since. :)

Now, I'll be doing it again in April, which I'm looking forward to as well.

3840 FUT grafts + Acell/PRP with Dr. Jerry Cooley April 17, 2014

And, I'll admit it - I'm trying the Help Hair Shake in my smoothies

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/174893-3-000-fut-my-visit-thursday-april-17-dr-cooley.html

I had mine in 1997 at age 34 and I'm extremely happy I did. I haven't worn a hat since. :)

Now, I'll be doing it again in April, which I'm looking forward to as well.

3840 FUT grafts + Acell/PRP with Dr. Jerry Cooley April 17, 2014

And, I'll admit it - I'm trying the Help Hair Shake in my smoothies

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/174893-3-000-fut-my-visit-thursday-april-17-dr-cooley.html

Who wants to be a premature bald guy in their twenties when hair matters the most. If one has successfully stabilized their hair loss through medications then bh all means they should be getting a hair transplant, and become free of this disease. Women look at men who are balding in their twenties differently, it's dehumanizing. Men who prematurely loose their hair are seen as asexual entities in the eyes of a women, because it isn't normal.

Balding in your twenties is having your identity, youth swallowed, and robbed away. This bullshit forces you to grow up all while looking young. Hair matters most in your prime (21-35).

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, this is true, having hair in the late 20s and early 30s is important. Meds don't work for all of us. I would easily have a procedure at the age of 27. The first surgery has to be done without trying to spare minor expenses, and that is very important for coming to a good decision about hair restoration. Buying time is the clear benefit to allow younger individuals to understand this condition, which isn't simple, but it's one that we must all learn. I don't believe that there are many more physical changes that are more frightening than chasing the loss of our hair.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

• 3 weeks later...

Some interesting points raised here about having a HT when 'young'. I'm glad that I'd never even heard of such a thing as a HT until 2013, when I was 45. I read about it and just thought, mmh, sounds interesting and then left it at that. Then in Jan this year I had another look, three weeks later aged 46 I had the HT done at a very reputable clinic. So I'm glad I didn't hear of HTs years ago! (BTW I started balding at about 36)

I agree with those who think that 25-35 is young but needs must!

• 4 weeks later...

I Similar to Spanker, I would have benefitted from it in my 20s but finally decided to get HT done in my 30s (at 31 to be precise). It has also freed my mind to concentrate on other things.. I will likely go for touch ups in the next few years. I found a doctor that I will be sticking with.. I think it is important to have a long-term plan with the same doc that takes into consideration your predicted progressing hair loss.

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. Managing expectations is as critical as post-op care. Have your hair, but don't let it have you making a laundry list of regrets. I hope that someone learns something here before taking a seat in anyone's surgery chair. This is my purpose for posting this particular kind of information with mindful consideration for the uninformed.

• Moderators
Who wants to be a premature bald guy in their twenties when hair matters the most. If one has successfully stabilized their hair loss through medications then bh all means they should be getting a hair transplant, and become free of this disease. Women look at men who are balding in their twenties differently, it's dehumanizing. Men who prematurely loose their hair are seen as asexual entities in the eyes of a women, because it isn't normal.

Balding in your twenties is having your identity, youth swallowed, and robbed away. This bullshit forces you to grow up all while looking young. Hair matters most in your prime (21-35).

No kidding! I think a lot of people who don't lose much hair until after 30 don't really get it. Some of them will say understand because they've been losing hair since they were 18, but you see pictures of them at 35 and they still have some hair. I was doing a combover and getting teased about my bald spot at 16.

If I was able to just have some thinning for a few years into my 20's it would have made a big difference. As it is I honestly can't remember having enough hair to not have to do a combover to cover the thinning. By the time I was at the age where boys start caring about their appearance I already was losing hair fast. My mother used to yell at me about my hair fallout when I was 15.

I finally had a HT at 22. That was a big mistake!! I thought I was finally getting rid of the nightmare, but turns out it was only just starting and got much worse as the years went by. Now at 47 it's been a completely wasted life.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

This thing called hair loss and surgical hair restoration is a long journey. One treatment won't tame this beast because its nature is without a doubt unpredictable. We can get some satisfaction is retarding the process, but we'll never control it or conquer it without cell therapy. Medical therapy is essentially just as engaging as surgical therapy, and neither is a one and done process because of the involved commitment. It's like a guy either marries medicine or surgery. We have no crystal ball, but the only real and true prediction is that hair loss is progressive. Reality and hairloss bites on another level when donor resources are mismanaged. Take care of those precious follicles, gentlemen.

• 4 weeks later...

Using the genetically blessed hair we have to make enough of it to at least cover most of the top. Take the average class 7 guy and turn him into a candidate. Make him into an MVP!

I Similar to Spanker, I would have benefitted from it in my 20s but finally decided to get HT done in my 30s (at 31 to be precise). It has also freed my mind to concentrate on other things.. I will likely go for touch ups in the next few years. I found a doctor that I will be sticking with.. I think it is important to have a long-term plan with the same doc that takes into consideration your predicted progressing hair loss.

im thinking of doing it in my 30's also

im thinking of doing it in my 30's also

Smart man. Life doesn't end at 30 as some here would have you believe. ;) Personally, I'd wait until my mid-to-late 30s when your pattern of loss is more established and predictable.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

Having a hair transplant in your 30's is a reasonable act. There is a difference that exists between proper hair restoration and effective utilization of donor resources. As I presented this thread, I wanted to create the awareness about the progressive nature of this single problem. I agree, having a long-term plan of attack is the proper way to combat hair loss. There is no way of knowing how many cycles of growth our hair will experience. We have no way of controlling this condition. All anyone can do is try to reduce it and minimize its effects through surgical and non-surgical means.

Smart man. Life doesn't end at 30 as some here would have you believe. ;) Personally, I'd wait until my mid-to-late 30s when your pattern of loss is more established and predictable.

mid to late 30's is a good idea agree with you. but most people are too impatient.

• 3 weeks later...

Doutee27, your comments set a very positive tone... Most individuals are very impatient with regard to surgical hair restoration. It makes sense to wait until 30+ years of age so that the pattern is more evident. On the other hand, you might consider that there are individuals who seem to posses too much patience.