Don't overuse Nizoral after a HT

hsrp10

Had an amazing HT#1 by H&W in Sept 2010.

Experienced very early growth, and quite astonishing results even at 6 month mark (picture 3).

Because I suffer from seborrheic dermatitis I always need to use some form of dandruff shampoo. After my procedure I used Dr. Lee's regrowth shampoo with salicylic acid and ketoconazole.

It kept my scalp dandruff free and was not harsh at all. Then Dr. Lee got shut down by the FDA in April of 2011 and I had to scramble to find an alternative. I never could find one, so reluctantly started to use Nizoral 2%. Because it worked and was the most hassle free solution I continued to use it 5 days week, otherwise I would have to spend long time getting dandruff out of my hair.

Long story short, don't overuse Nizoral or any harsh dandruff shampoos after a HT.

The hair loss was gradual, and I had some good hair cycles in between, but finally recognized the culprit later on. Some did regrow as seen in Photo 6.

Photo 1 - pre surgery with red forehead from seborrheic dermatitis

Photo 2 - post up

Photo 3 - 6 months after surgery, while on Dr. Lee's regrowth shampoo

Photo 4 - Five months of using Nizoral 2%

Photo 5 - Year and half of using Nizoral 2%

Photo 6 - 3 months after stopping Nizoral 2%, prior to HT #2

1.png.3b5d6bbd96fff98e55f1ccfc0f7df4f1.png

2.png.366694bbaf7d186b47eb9b7c353e5412.png

3.png.964d9072f797fa7166d9ce3ef00b8b10.png

4.png.20683c2e4303e7d0a5b55acb6d3636dd.png

5.png.c4b288085d5df1d53c162b62eeca8a87.png

6.png.ce09ee96f395911d09d4d68e6dd7fdfa.png

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Yeah, just few years ago it was all the rage as a treatment for hairloss.

But you really have to be careful with it.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

Oh...how I agree with this.

Remember the era of "The Big Three' ... And Nizorol was part of the trifecta.

I lost a s**t load of hair using Nizoral in 2008, all of it from my NW 3 minaturiized zone. In other words, it was just chewing up the weak minaturiized hairs. But, I must add, I used it aggressively, as desperate grasping people do... And well, I copped the wrath.

At least I helped the share holders, and that's what is important in the end!!

Anyway, well, what can you say about Niz today? In 2013?

Oh...how I agree with this.

Remember the era of "The Big Three' ... And Nizorol was pat of the trifecta.

I lost a s**t load of hair using Nizoral in 2008, all of it from my NW 3 minaturiized zone. In other words, it was just chewi g up the weak minaturiized hairs. But, I must add, I used it aggressively, as desperate grasping people do... And well, I copped the wrath.

A least I helped the share holders, and that's what is important in the end!!

Anyway, well, what can you say about Niz today? In 2013?

I wasn't aware the big 3 'era' was over??

I use Niz 2% twice a week since my HT, every Sun and Thurs night........and don't find it problematic at all. Twice a week is as much as anyone should use it in my book, and reduce frequency to 3 or 4 times a month if that causes issues.

It is a harsh shampoo, so I balance that out by using a sulphate/SLS-free shampoo as my daily washer and find it good.

• Like 1

2,200 FUE + PRP with Dr Bisanga - BHR Clinic, 22-23 August 2013 - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171950-my-fue-2-200-prp-dr-bisanga-bhr-clinic.html

Current Regimen:

- Rogaine 5% Foam 2x daily

- Jasons Restorative Biotin Shampoo 2x daily / Nizoral 2% 2x weekly

- Nettle Root 500mg, MSM 1500mg, Biotin 5mg, Multi Vit, Omega 3

I tried Niz and could immediately tell it was not good for me. Never again.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

It's true no worries man, I never saw a massive shed and in between the above pics I had some good hair cycles and I actually thought at times it was doing me good.

The overuse kind of snuck up on me and I was in a similar situation of not being sure if it was Fin, stress and lack of sleep from my job or the Niz.

Also I have to admit it did make my hair look great compared to other shampoos.

Just gave it a decent thickness and body.

go dense or go home

Btw current routine is to use the much gentler Kerium DS Anti-Dandruff Intensive shampoo (La Roche Posay) 1-2 times a week and wash with only water and very high water pressure the others days to keep my scalp clean.

go dense or go home

Yeah I've head many times people thinking niz is making their hair look amazing and then they overuse it and things devolve, its only human nature to assume if a small amount is good a larger amount will be great.

I haven't had issues with dandruff, but I have had problems with oily hair and excess sebum production. I usually take 2 showers a day and was washing my hair each time to combat the oil. However in reality I was creating a situation where my sebum glands were in a constant state of hyper activity. Now I still shower about the same but I only wash my hair with shampoo once every other day and the oil and sebum production has reduced significantly. Moral of the story is less is sometimes more.

but I have had problems with oily hair and excess sebum production. I usually take 2 showers a day and was washing my hair each time to combat the oil. However in reality I was creating a situation where my sebum glands were in a constant state of hyper activity. Now I still shower about the same but I only wash my hair with shampoo once every other day and the oil and sebum production has reduced significantly. Moral of the story is less is sometimes more.

Do you think the oilyness is from being on Fin? Also had a similar problem with that.

Or was it simply from overwashing?

go dense or go home

Do you think the oilyness is from being on Fin? Also had a similar problem with that.

I think it was somewhat natural and I was making it worse by washing too much. I'm still on fin and my hair is less oily now that I changed how I was my hair than I ever remember, so I don't think fin was causing it.

I have been using Niz every two day for the last 5 months. That's when I started using Proscar again everyday and I haven't even seen 1 hair lost in the sink and in the shower.

Last month I started 3 days a week of proscar 3 days a week of topical finasteride and 4 days a week of Niz. I keep looking for any shed or hairloss but nothing up to know.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

supposedly from what I've read, the hairloss from Niz dries up and shrivels the sebaceous glands, and the hair becomes brittle and just falls out.

So you are reducing oral Fin and then increasing Nizoral is that right? Just keep an eye out for your hair becoming brittle or easy to fall out.

Where do you get topical finasteride btw?

go dense or go home

Mine is a unique situation. I never knew there was an side effect with Niz. I was using Niz,(5 days a week) and proscar 3 days a week for around 4 years. June 2012 I got sick and stopped using everything.

Started again July 2013 and for 4 months proscar everyday and Niz every second day. Last month I started topical finasteride 3x, Proscar3x and Niz 4x per week.

I got the topical finasteride from a pharmacy in Vancouver.

If I notice I will cut down but in over 4 years that I have used it I have never had brittle hair.

Thanks for the advice.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

oily scalp could be diet

do you eat a high carb and/or any dairy?

worth a try to give up for a while, esp dairy

some people have reaction to dairy protein (this is different than being lactose intolerant)

also could be hormonal

hormones not in balance (doesn't matter your age)

get a full hormone panel done just to see

I noticed an increased oilyness while being on Proscar.

When stopping my scalp became dry again. Fin also messes with your hormones so you could be right.

go dense or go home

WHAT ABOUR DERMSMOOOTH ANY OPINION ?

if PERSON IS SUFFERING FROM LOT OF DANDRUFF AND ITCHING AND OILY SCALP WHEN WAKES UP IN THE MORNING.

iS THEIR ANY SOLUTION TO GET RID OF OILY SCALP.

I MEAN AFTER SHOWER FOR THREE TO SIX HOURS ITS OK BUT THEN AFTER 6 TO 8 HOURS SCALP STRAT OOZING SWEAT LIKE OIL AND THEN ITCHING START AND THEN HAIR FALL WITH FLAKES ATTACH TO IT.