The Jason Statham Conundrum...

I just wanted to address something that I keep hearing about. Been browsing some other forums lately, and it seems that the overall perception towards hair transplants are very polarized. While most people on this site are very pro-HT, people on other hair loss forums are fiercely opposed.

Many guys really downplay the significance of hair loss, and always resort to the typical response: "be a man and shave it.. go for the Jason Statham look". I can't understand why anybody would downplay the significance of losing your hair... it obviously accounts for a huge percentage of the look of your face.

But the "Jason Statham" response is such a cop out. Just look at the guy:

- built like a truck

- razor sharp jaw line.

- beastly chin

- strong cheekbones/brow line

Reality can be harsh sometimes, but chances are, you don't look like Jason Statham.. I read that he was actually a model before getting into acting too.

Anyway, don't let people convince you that hair transplant surgery is not "manly".. Personally, it's the only surgery I would EVER consider. I started my life with a head of hair, and I intend to keep it. If I was blessed with the genetics of Statham or Vin Diesel.. maybe I'd be singing a different tune.

Thoughts?..

jason-statham-mobile-wallpaper.jpg

Edited by efflux

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You left out the most important bullet point for Statham:

- He has a nice-shaped head.

It makes all the difference.

2,200 FUE + PRP with Dr Bisanga - BHR Clinic, 22-23 August 2013 - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171950-my-fue-2-200-prp-dr-bisanga-bhr-clinic.html

Current Regimen:

- Rogaine 5% Foam 2x daily

- Jasons Restorative Biotin Shampoo 2x daily / Nizoral 2% 2x weekly

- Nettle Root 500mg, MSM 1500mg, Biotin 5mg, Multi Vit, Omega 3

You left out the most important bullet point for Statham:

- He has a nice-shaped head.

It makes all the difference.

Right.. he does have a perfect curve to his skull. But without the cheeks and jaw, it doesn't make any difference at all.

Example:

55f96_Men_Hairstyle_Howie-Mandel-baldhead.jpg

Haha, true. They obviously go hand in hand. Likewise if you have a guy with great facial structure, but a very oddly shaped head. He'll be worse off than the guy above.

2,200 FUE + PRP with Dr Bisanga - BHR Clinic, 22-23 August 2013 - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171950-my-fue-2-200-prp-dr-bisanga-bhr-clinic.html

Current Regimen:

- Rogaine 5% Foam 2x daily

- Jasons Restorative Biotin Shampoo 2x daily / Nizoral 2% 2x weekly

- Nettle Root 500mg, MSM 1500mg, Biotin 5mg, Multi Vit, Omega 3

He'd still look better with nice thick mop!

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

I think both of the gentlemen look quite good that are pictured. Good post though, with some valid points.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

If someone is NW5 or higher what could HT give in the long run, without assistance from medications? Sparse hair in the front and mid scalp with a huge bald spot on the crown? IMHO, if donor hair is not abundant then shaving is a better option than to be left in a limbo by HTs.

If someone is NW5 or higher what could HT give in the long run, without assistance from medications? Sparse hair in the front and mid scalp with a huge bald spot on the crown? IMHO, if donor hair is not abundant then shaving is a better option than to be left in a limbo by HTs.

I agree Torip. Of course it depends on age and each patient's loss pattern, but I think some guys make the mistake of just worrying about the front and ignore the crown. Where I would rather have a high forehead with more concentration on middle/crown. Sure most people face people head-on and so the front has always been important, but that bald crown to me really looks worse than a high forehead. I call my preference the Sting look. Personally at my age I'd rather have this Sting look with a solid crown, than a lower forehead and bald crown.

sting.jpg

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

I totally agree shampoo. I also think that a NW 5 or higher should proceed with caution and get as firm a idea as possible on total donor supply. I was a NW 6 but with a donor supply of 11k plus, I can get just about complete coverage with a pretty dense top and very respectable density in the crown. If I only had a total of 7k then I agree the the look would be incomplete.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

I think I disagree, but it really depends on the person. It's a case by case basis. I think us rather have a good hairline and a dusted crown. I have already drawn a line in the sand tho. Sting looks good the way he is. Can't decide looks like he is gonna get the whole package.

Torip. There are a lot of nw5's that are able to achieve a nice looking full looking restoration. If done right I think people usually look better after their ht.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Torip - I have a thread as well. Search under "5000+" in the title and your see it. I have several pics taken more on the side and top in the thread. I have never posted crown pics because quite frankly, I hate looking at it. When I get my second procedure done in August, I will post pre and post op crown pics.

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

Some people just look great with a shaved head, and Jason Statham is one of them. Sure, he'd look better if he had a hairline, but even if he didn't suffer from MPB at all, I think he'd look at his best with a buzz cut.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Besides head shape, etc, lifestyle matters as well. If your in a band, professional sports, or other type lifestyles, you can get away with it and even enhance it with clothes and overall style that complement the shaved look. But if your a 40 year old accountant, the shaved look may not work as well :)

Look at Ed K from the band live. He looks great (and even really cool) with a shaved head but I wonder if it would come off looking the same way if he were a pharmaceutical rep....

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

I agree Torip. Of course it depends on age and each patient's loss pattern, but I think some guys make the mistake of just worrying about the front and ignore the crown. Where I would rather have a high forehead with more concentration on middle/crown. Sure most people face people head-on and so the front has always been important, but that bald crown to me really looks worse than a high forehead. I call my preference the Sting look. Personally at my age I'd rather have this Sting look with a solid crown, than a lower forehead and bald crown.

sting.jpg

That's why I had 3036 grafts into my crown 3 months ago, even if I had a great hairline but no hair in my crown, I'd still consider myself to be bald.

Evil - Can you share some pics of your crown procedure?

Hey 'Can't decide' I'm going to wait until I'm at 6 months before I share before/after photo's. I'm at 3 months now and even though I see 1000s of little hairs growing in a magnifying mirror, to the casual observer I look just the same as I did pre op, but based on what I see I'm really excited :)

That's why I had 3036 grafts into my crown 3 months ago, even if I had a great hairline but no hair in my crown, I'd still consider myself to be bald.

same here....3200 in the ol' crown over 2 surgeries. Seems "bald spots" seem to have a worse stigma than a receding hairline.

If Jason Statham was not an action movie star and working in the local factory you can be sure he would have nowhere near the female attention he gets. Therefore i find these comparisons a bit futile.

In saying that he does rock the bald look good. Its true a good shaped head is key.

However bottom line i think the sad fact is almost everyone looks better with hair or a shaved hairline.

If Jason Statham was not an action movie star and working in the local factory you can be sure he would have nowhere near the female attention he gets. Therefore i find these comparisons a bit futile.

Hit the nail on the head there Bobilero. I have said before there is no point comparing celebrities to the everyday guy.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Hit the nail on the head there Bobilero. I have said before there is no point comparing celebrities to the everyday guy.

Celebrity or not, the fact that he is far from having a Brad Pitt hairline and pulls off the shaved look goes against conformity in what is attractive and what is not. Here we have a guy who is not pigeon-holed by Hollywood into playing a nerd, villain, outcast or any negative role simply because he has hairloss. There are not too many leading men who play heroes that have hairloss is what I'm saying. He does have the facial features and head shape to pull it off though. My head is bumpy and I would look totally weird if I shaved to a zero all round lol. Just my opinion on the matter though.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I have a friend who has the same features as Statham but looks different. Joe has met him and he did mention it to him as well. He is on the fence about getting a hair transplant because he looks really good with his head shaved. We cant go out without him getting hit on and meeting a lot of women. Although he is a bit of a slut he usually is with 1-3 different girls ever week. Hair helps a lot but so does being in good shape and confident.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

My view is that once you are pushing nw5, and if you are still young enough to care, don't worry about maximum grafts. Instead, worry about choices. Get grafts put where they count, and keep the donor pristine enough to buzz it at a moments notice. Knowing you have options is empowering. Knowing you blew your options for 1500 more grafts is a major drain on the spirit.

And..a strong jaw, nice head is one thing. Square shoulders too. Slumped shoulders, long neck and a bald buzz?..good luck. A wardrobe that emphasis bold lines....I.e. suits, jackets, bold colors and designs etc...is essential. As is the bold lines and contours for facial hair. This stuff needs to be sorted. No vagueness. No ambiguity. No Johhny Depp subtle, hippy bohemian please. Smooth skin, tight or strong cuts in your clothes. Perfect posture. Robot body language. Even the aesthetics of everything you identify with is tested. Plenty have gone the buzz and said 'peace out' but that has a price. You might fell like you miss out on plenty if you do. More say. "Yeah, I buzz, you gotta problem, cause I kick ass."

Both are extreme positions.

It's a conundrum. People even change their music downloads because they want to forge a new identity.

Having a successful HT also brings its conundrum..lol