I may be the victim of a bad hair transplant

Hey everyone I've been perusing this site for a while now, wish I'd found it sooner.When I was 25 I noticed I was going bald,here five years later I pretty much am.I found a surgeon in maryland,Dr John Kiely, and after meeting him

and his staff I decided to get two procedures done last year.One in July and

another in november.I got a total of 600 grafts,fue btw, and it cost me six grand.

The donor area looks fantastic, in I can't really even tell where it is to be honest.I was feeling pretty good about the whole thing until recently.My hair is not nearly

as thick as I wanted, and I knew that I would need to get more procedures done to get the coverage that I want.My concern is the grafts themselves.In bright

sunlight I can see bumps all over my head where each graft is.It is especially

notable in the bright sunlight.It looks pretty bad.So after doing some googling

I see that this is called cobblestoning.And it is a sign of a bad hair transplant.

I feel like I had a pretty good experience with Dr. Kiely, but my fear is that

I may be screwed.So my question is, how long after a transplant should I be able

to see the grafts.Could it just be that it takes a while to really blend in with the scalp?I've got two pics here I took outside.Any thoughts.I hadn't really thought it was that bad til I started looking closer.Now I'm afraid it looks pluggy and bad.Like I said I had the most recent one in november so its only been six months?I am due to go back for a check up this coming week, and I'm wondering if I should even bother?Hopefully I am just being paranoid and

these graft will blend in over time.They aren't the best quality pictures, but hopefully you can see what I'm talking about.

front.jpg.10702c8fc513947ac3cdf3d2095813f3.jpg

side.jpg.64dd297b7a0744748a3ef71ec9b83afc.jpg

Yes I see what you mean. It looks like you have multiple hair grafts in your hairline and actually they look kind of like the old mini grafts and not follicular unit grafts. 600 grafts is a very small amount especially considering it was in 2 sessions. Now I bet your hair looks better in normal lighting but I would say that you will probably need more work done to get to a better looking appearance. Good luck I would go to a different surgeon in the future.

Gallabaca,

You have recieved mini grafts, which are placed far apart....I have recieved them too, in the past.

But, its not too late!!!!...you can have folicular units transplanted around them......

Please research on a good clinic/hair restoration physician and everything can be sorted out...

Btw, 600 was too less a number for your level....

Adding...,.,,Some good docs can punch out the already transplanted grafts, dissect them into smaller groups of 1s 2s and 3 s and re-transplant them.Its sad that this kind of surgery is being performed even today.....well , all the best in the future.....

Yes I see what you mean. It looks like you have multiple hair grafts in your hairline and actually they look kind of like the old mini grafts and not follicular unit grafts.

I was myself asking questions to people here till the other day, but slowly I have started understanding the fine nuances of a correct hair transplant. And it is also looks like here, he didn't have what is called as a Single Hair Graft placed on fine caliber, (Correct me guys if I am wrong) The texture of hair used in the hairline appears to be so coarse, rough ? It looks like hair is dipped, mixed with a sticky substance like a glue,gel and placed there. I would say lacks finishing touches.

6000 for only 600 grafts?! I paid 5 grand for 2000 grafts......admittedly FUT not FUE, but still!

Also, I know it's FUE so it could be different, but aren't you supposed to wait a year before having another procedure?

Is your doctor recommended here?

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

it even says on his website he uses "mini-grafts"

"Dr. Kiely utilizes the latest techniques in hair transplantation- mini/micro-grafting follicular units- the only proven way to efficiently move hair to the thinning areas to provide not only coverage, but DENSITY in the treated areas"

Google search: dr john kiely MD chartered

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Thanks for all the feedback.The only reason I thought I got FUE is because that is what he told me I was getting during my initial interview.It is a little disconcerting to feel that I've been ripped off,but at least I won't make the same mistake again.

Oy. It appears that what your doctor did was use relatively large punches to extract small clumps of hair and flesh akin to the old “mini-grafts” rather than using small punches (1 mm or less) to extract naturally growing follicular units of comprised, variously, of 1, 2, and 3 hairs. Then he implanted these grafts widely spaced and also improperly implanted them along the anterior border. What he did was only remotely related to FUE insofar as he extracted the grafts from your donor with punches. Fortunately, your situation looks to be repairable, provided you find a top-notch ht surgeon adept at true FUE and repairing poor transplants. Research the list of recommended and Coalition surgeons on this site. They might well need to punch out some of the larger grafts that were placed at the anterior borders, either in an initial separate procedure or in conjunction with an overall repair transplant. Judging from your photos, you probably will need upwards of 2,000 true follicular unit grafts for a satisfactory result.

Good luck!

Didnt think anyone on North America used micrografts anymore, especially with fue. Easy fix tjough and it was only 600 grafts. You can get the micrografts punched out and/or fill around them so they wont be evident. I would suggest a dedicated fue surgeon experienced in repair.

Sorry man. That is a really bad transplant, and something that you will have to address. It seems a little aggressive for the amount you have lost already and is pluggy. They will only stand out more with time.

DO your research and find someone to do a correction.

Today, there should be no sign that you have had an HT except from donor scarring, be it strip or FUE, but the recipient area should be seamless. If it isn't, its a bad transplant.

That work is shameful.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Hey everyone I've been perusing this site for a while now, wish I'd found it sooner.When I was 25 I noticed I was going bald,here five years later I pretty much am.I found a surgeon in maryland,Dr John Kiely, and after meeting him

and his staff I decided to get two procedures done last year.One in July and

another in november.I got a total of 600 grafts,fue btw, and it cost me six grand.

The donor area looks fantastic, in I can't really even tell where it is to be honest.I was feeling pretty good about the whole thing until recently.My hair is not nearly

as thick as I wanted, and I knew that I would need to get more procedures done to get the coverage that I want.My concern is the grafts themselves.In bright

sunlight I can see bumps all over my head where each graft is.It is especially

notable in the bright sunlight.It looks pretty bad.So after doing some googling

I see that this is called cobblestoning.And it is a sign of a bad hair transplant.

I feel like I had a pretty good experience with Dr. Kiely, but my fear is that

I may be screwed.So my question is, how long after a transplant should I be able

to see the grafts.Could it just be that it takes a while to really blend in with the scalp?I've got two pics here I took outside.Any thoughts.I hadn't really thought it was that bad til I started looking closer.Now I'm afraid it looks pluggy and bad.Like I said I had the most recent one in november so its only been six months?I am due to go back for a check up this coming week, and I'm wondering if I should even bother?Hopefully I am just being paranoid and

these graft will blend in over time.They aren't the best quality pictures, but hopefully you can see what I'm talking about.

Hello gallabacca;,

I completely understand your concern here. The results indicated here in you pics show a poor HT in my opinion. Also a very pricey procedure for such a small amount of grafts. Could you share what type of extraction method was used. The industry and the consumer needs more information on comparing results with FUE to the final outcome.of FUE in regards to method of extraction. On the plus side this is very correctable. HTN surgeons are some of the best in the world. Moving forward in your hair restoration use this forum and review more results in choose a surgeon with more skill. All the Best, Michael

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

Hi Guys,

To answer a question asked earlier: no, this physician is not recommended by our community.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Again thanks everyone for your replies.I really have no idea what method he used to be honest.As I said I failed to do any research on the subject,I just sort of assumed since he was a dr there was some kind of regulation in place.I have paid the price for my folly.I was told it was FUE but judging from some replies I've seen

its just mini plugs.When I am indoors and the lights aren't too bright it doesn't look too bad, but that isn't the point of a hair transplant.The worst part about it

is that I spent the better part of a year working 6-7 days a week to pay for it, and now I see I could have paid a little more with the right doc and have what I wanted.A costly lesson to learn.

You may have paid a little more, but you would have gotten a lot more grafts and a natural look. VERY few doctors are charging 10 dollars per graft for FUE. I think you can get some good FUE docs for around 6 bucks per graft.

You will want to start to research docs. You MAY be able to cammo the existing grafts with actual follicular units, or you may have to have some of the plugs in the hairline extracted, broken down, and then implanted again.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I've yet to see a good result or review about Dr Kiely, You should ask for your money back so you can get it repaired. It is an easy repair by the way, at least you don't have a giant strip scar on the back of your head atm.

Don't lose hope, it can be fixed, some clinics may even help you considering you were hurt by someone in the same trade as them, at least they should do,