20 years old - Desperate

Hi everyone,

As you can see from the subject of this thread I am 20 years old and very much in need of a ht. My dad's completely bald as well as my grandfather. And its obvious I'm going full force into that direction and it's killing me especially now (in college, young, and supposed to be having fun). I wear a hat almost all the time everywhere. I really do look like I could pass mid 30 year old man. It sucks to feel this way at 20 years old. I really dread waiting much more time with the state I am in. I have been reading, visiting ht docs, and learning everything about ht. So I basically know all the risks being taken getting a ht at my age. I am currently on propecia for 5 months now and I can say it has somewhat slowed my progression of hairloss (visually cant see a difference, but i say this because I feel like I would be a lot balder than what I am now if i hadnt taken it). What I desperately want is to restore my hairline (conservative one) because your hairline is the first thing people see when they talk or look at you. Even though i am balding pretty badly on my crown, I feel like I dont need a ht for that as I can use concealers pretty well to cover up that area (and hopefully propecia will work its magic to thicken up my remaining follicles up there). I know if I am not to do something about my hairloss I will become completely bald like my father. But i also realize i will never return to the state I was in as a little kid with a full head of hair. I am supposed to be living my life and not letting my appearance stop me from doing certain things (but unfortunetly it is, otherwise this forum wouldn't exist). So why not get a conservative ht now for my hairline, planning accordingly for hair transplants needed in the future. I just wanted to see if anyone had any comments about my situation. I'd truly appreciate it.

Here are some pictures of my current hairloss.

Thanks

baldbb.bmp

Hi everyone,

As you can see from the subject of this thread I am 20 years old and very much in need of a ht. My dad's completely bald as well as my grandfather. And its obvious I'm going full force into that direction and it's killing me especially now (in college, young, and supposed to be having fun). I wear a hat almost all the time everywhere. I really do look like I could pass mid 30 year old man. It sucks to feel this way at 20 years old. I really dread waiting much more time with the state I am in. I have been reading, visiting ht docs, and learning everything about ht. So I basically know all the risks being taken getting a ht at my age. I am currently on propecia for 5 months now and I can say it has somewhat slowed my progression of hairloss (visually cant see a difference, but i say this because I feel like I would be a lot balder than what I am now if i hadnt taken it). What I desperately want is to restore my hairline (conservative one) because your hairline is the first thing people see when they talk or look at you. Even though i am balding pretty badly on my crown, I feel like I dont need a ht for that as I can use concealers pretty well to cover up that area (and hopefully propecia will work its magic to thicken up my remaining follicles up there). I know if I am not to do something about my hairloss I will become completely bald like my father. But i also realize i will never return to the state I was in as a little kid with a full head of hair. I am supposed to be living my life and not letting my appearance stop me from doing certain things (but unfortunetly it is, otherwise this forum wouldn't exist). So why not get a conservative ht now for my hairline, planning accordingly for hair transplants needed in the future. I just wanted to see if anyone had any comments about my situation. I'd truly appreciate it.

Here are some pictures of my current hairloss.

Thanks

thats realy unlucky to have that aggressive loss already at 20

good to see your on propicia i think looking you would probably need 2500 - 3000 to flll in the temples and 1000 for the corwn so probably a 4000 job but dont bother with FUE i had FUE and wish id have gone the STIP route as the results are much better from what i have learnt but i never looked into anyof this untill after the HT i had so was very annoyed with myself for not looking into it more before hand, you have done the right thing make sure you go with one of the docs recomended on this site and im sure you will get a great outcome

i understand what your going through i am only just 23 and have had a HT i didnt loose as much as you but i wanted to get my youthfull hair back and its always a loosing battle, im at the 4 an half month stage of my HT with results im not sure on at present

Dr A. Armani 2500 Fue

Dec 2008

Proscar X1 Day

Monixodil X2 Day

Msm Daily

For the time being, I think you need to (a) make peace with the hair you have or (b) shave it.

Simply put, given your age, family history, and degree of loss, you're probably headed toward an advanced NW class. In my opinion, transplants on those patients do not typically yield cosmetically acceptable results. This is especially true if you're white and have dark hair, as you do.

Of course, there is a silver lining to being young: you have time. As a result, you will become the beneficiary of the superior treatments of tomorrow. And now that we will have federally sponsored research of embryonic stem cells, your situation is actually fairly optimistic. If science can succeed in its quest to multiply or clone existing hair, you will be set.

So in sum, the bad news is that you're quickly going bald, that no drug is going to stop it cold, and that you're going to be bald for a while. The good news is that you may very well have a full head of hair by the time you're 35, which is a lot closer than you think.

but like he said he doesnt want this to spoil his youth and feels its getting in his way, i feel for this guy as i went and am still going through the same thing although im also fighting skin problems along with hairloss and not to be big headed but when ive got good hair and good skin im a realy good looking guy but when things are going bad i look terrable and going from 1 extreme from another has big effects in confidence, accutane always saves my skin but the hair transplant part im strugling with at the mo, beucase i cant take accutane while going through the HT stages

only regrets im having about going for my HT is not choosing STRIP i say speak to as many docs as possible and see what they think as if you have the money go improve you looks and further more your life, as if you cant enjoy your looks while your young dum and full of cum so to speak lol then its not much fun atall

Dr A. Armani 2500 Fue

Dec 2008

Proscar X1 Day

Monixodil X2 Day

Msm Daily

Whatever you do don't rush your decision. You're young and you have time on your hands. Stay on the propecia and spend the next few months researching and speaking to all the top doctors and get some opinions. Send in photos to them and see what they have to say.

Its very tough being that young and feeling like you can't live the life you want to live. I know exactly how you feel, I felt the same around your age. Good luck with everything.

I am in agreement with ShadowoftheEmpire, make peace with your hair and SHAVE IT.

Shave your head, go to the gym and act confident ... that will get you further than having a comb over at 27 years of age after a hair transplant and the remainder of your hair behind it falling out. You will look far better with the shaved head rather than having your head all scarred up from having 5 hair transplants in the 10 years chasing your hair recession as it progresses fast backwards.

If you are not prepared to go through the surgeries and money investment that the moderator Bill has gone through than I wouldnt bother with a HT. Likely you will need to invest 40,000$ chasing your hairline for the next 10-15 years.

SDM

Baldboy,

I completely understand where you are coming from. I started to notice that I was losing my hair when I was 16. I got on propecia when I was 18 and used rogaine on and off (didn't have too much issues with the crown it was mostly a receding hairline). Losing your hair at such a young age really sucks and I dont think anyone really understands it unless they've gone through it themselves. If I were you I would try shaving my head first because you may like the way it looks. I tried it when I was 21 and hated it (didn't have the right shaped head). If you decide that you cant pull off a shaved head then stick with the propecia, use rogaine in the crown and get the hair transplant. The benefit of shaving my head first made me realize that I will never regret my transplant. I also believe that there will be further medical advances that will help us later in life. I was just sick of putting my life on hold waiting for them. If you decide to go the transplant route, I would focus more in the hairline like you said and maybe a few grafts in the back. The crown is easy to fix with a concealer, the hairline is not nearly as forgiving (especially in the day light). I missed lots of pool parties because of that. Don't waste these years worrying about your hair, I wish I could have had a full head of hair back in college. If you have any questions feel free to PM me as I feel your pain.

that is exactly what im feeling, in college, wanting to have a good time. But, my hair controls everything I do. And to get ht for my hairline would boost up my confidence so much. As for the shaved head option, I, too, dont have the head shape for that look and it just wouldn't look any better without any hair at all.

Well, do your research and find a good surgeon. Just be aware that once you have a tranplant you gotta hibernate the first few months. I am 19 days into mine and I am dieing to go out but can't because I buzzed my hair all around to match the length of my recipient area and as a result my scar is showing. Pick a time when there aren't a lot of social activities going on to make it less painfull. Since your in college summer is probably the best time to have it done. Also, be sure to stop using rogaine 2 months before your transplant. I made that mistake and had to delay my transplant 2 months...

Hey man, its easier said than done to "shave your head and go to the gym". To anyone under the age of 30, its just not that easy!

Some of the older guys on this site, (god bless them for all their knowledge and helpfulness for us younger guys)..but they seem to forget how bad it is in your 20's.

I like the earlier advice..., get on propecia, save what you have. Look into a HT, focus on the hairline and front....

personally if I were in your shoes I would get a FUE transplant, focus most of it in the front, sprinkle some around the crown, buzz your hair down to a #2, use a concealer on the crown, if needed, that way you will have strong hairline and the illusion of a full head of hair.

In other words ppl would probably see you as another NW1 or NW2 with a buzzcut.

save yourself years and years of chasing this.. i know you dont want to hear it but shaving is by far and away your best bet... at your age, with your loss it would be a mistake to get a HT... if you were to fill in the crown and rebuild a hairline(even a conservative one) you will very likely lose the rest of your hair around it..

im going to be blunt... you want to beat your hairloss but you cant.. it will take MANY HT procedures and atleast 8 to 10 THOUSAND grafts(a number you likely cant reach anyway) just to give you the illusion of full coverage.. your losing your hair man and its a terrible thing ESPECIALLY at your age , i know... but i truly believe you will be saving yourself decades of chasing your loss, not to mention the FACT that HTs are far from perfect and come with many unanticipated risks. you will be saving yourself from scars that will be IMPOSSIBLE to hide should your results not satisfy you and you want to shave down...

buzz it down man... or this battle wil likely consume you for decades, just as its done to many of us..... im the mean time PRAY for better treatments... nothing offered today will give you what you truly want, which is non-balding head of hair...... im sorry but atleast you have the option still of shaving it off.. thats an option i would love.. but at 21 i got a HT.. i was desperate too

BTW-- if you choose FUE-- not only will you STILL have visible scarring should you ever shave but FUEs yield is not as consistant and you will likely lose all hair around the transplant in the comming years.. but it could possibly improve your appearance for a few years... and if the now is more important then long term planning then i wish you luck, just know that you will be commitingyourself for the long haul should you chosse ANY surgical route.... all the best

*** RESULTS WILL 100%, without a DOUBT, VARY***

what is your opinion if I plan for the worst...meaning I get a very conservative ht (for my hairline) now planning that I will be completely bald in the future such as my father (which I can clearly see with my current state). Sure, I probably will be chasing the receding hairline behind my new hairline but I really can't wait 5-10 years for a ht. I am 20 and i look like I am 35. Extremely difficult to bear right now. And even by some chance, in 10-20 years if i dont become as bald as my father, then I could always go back thicken up the transplanted areas if i wanted to. Sure I will have many scars in the back of my head from multiple ht but I will always want hair so the scars will always be concealed. And also if i were to wait 5-10 years to get a ht, I would probably be needing mega ht that would probably leave me with multiple scars on the back of my head anyway. Any thoughts on this? I greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

I too didnt think I had a nicely shaped head for shaving, but when my results werent quite what I expected I decided to shave and found that I was far more selfconcious about my ugly scar than I was about my thinning hair.

baldboy, I started losing my hair when I was 21 and did nothing about it until I was 28.When I did do something I had not been as informed as you are. I think it would be very beneficial to you to shave down to a 1 or 2 clip and see if you like it 1st and stay on the propecia. Time is on your side and hopefully in the next 5-10 years hairloss will be a non issue. If you do choose to go down this road keep in mind that you will have to keep going to keep up with your hairloss.

I agree w/ a lot of what has already been said. In many ways, IMO, you are a prototypical case of a "young guy" who *could* get a HT. Whether you *should* is the other, more important question. It's not a simple decision, and exploratory caution is your best friend at this point.

Ultimately, I would do a couple things: do some consults (live or online) with some clinics. IMO -- Shapiro, Feller, H&W would be an excellent combo to get feedback from. You won't be pressured, you will get legitimate information and feedback that is useful and, perhaps, above all else, comforting to have. Knowledge is power.

I would also buzz your head. If you have already have and hate it I would say be in "good" physical shape while also having your head buzzed -- the two go hand in hand for these intents and purposes.

I hate to say I am "optimistic" about you getting a HT because in all honesty bro, as bad as things are now, if you can battle through things without getting the HT you'll be all the more powerful. That said, I don't think pursuing the option of a HT is out of the question, or as 100% ill-fated for you as some others.

There is a lot of information that needs to be weighted, and a lot of that information stems from your own very self -- emotions, intellect, whatever...by listening to the words of what others have said (LMS lays it out quite well), and taking some of the progressive steps I mentioned, you will arm yourself with invaluable knowledge and perspective. The waters are murky because the desperation and pain that you readily admit to has to be compartmentalized to the extent that it doesn't dominate your decision making.

Everything you're saying and feeling is legitimate and you seem to be keeping your wits to you in spite of the shitstorm of MPB. It can -- and will -- get better (even if your "hair" gets worse). If you ever want to talk about w/e PM me -- I'm always looking for ways to procrastinate @ work! icon_wink.gif

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

I would prefer to have hair when I'm young and be bald later in life. I couldn't care less about my hair when I'm older and married. It wouldn't bother me nearly as much. But try being a single college guy. It can screw up your entire life and you might not be able to find the right girl because your so self conscious about your hair. If I was married I would never have gotten a hair transplant. There's no point to me because you already have the girl. The dating scene is not very forgiving of bald men (speaking more in terms of girls in college, later in life, as people grow older the girls are more forgiving) Personally, having hair in the hairline and a completely bald crown would look better on me than shaving my head. Don't waste your college life thinking about your hair. You need to go out and party a lot and meet women. If you can't do that comfortably with your situation now, get the hair tranplant. Just know that you probably wont be able to keep the full head of hair (unless theres more breakthroughs in science). Worst case scenario you have to laser remove the grafts and have a horse shoe bald look when your older.

Thought I'd weigh in for a second here.

I too am a younger guy going for a HT.

I always see the advice for younger guys to just shave your head and move on. Some people can just NOT do that. It is not an option. I did it when I was 22. It was one of the worst times of my life. I couldn't look in the mirror. I couldn't make eye contact with people. I hid my head as much as possible. I got tons of comments from people saying that it was not a good look at all and I should really grow my hair back.

Not everyone can shave their head, go to the gym, and be confident. We're not all Vin Diesels and Jason Stathams (Bald guys seem to be obsessed with these guys). Some guys just look terrible.

and to the comment about getting an HT, and eventually lasering out the grafts and leaving the horseshoe... why would he have to do that? A lot of guys can buzz down pretty far without the scar looking too awful. So why couldn't he just buzz his head later if he decides to not keep up with hts?

I'm not by any means saying that he should be getting a HT for sure. He is young, and that is pretty far advanced for a 20 year old. But if he were to decide and get one, it could potentially save this time of his life.

Why should guys in their 20's have to suffer because of this? A lot of times its almost like we're being told to suffer because a HT MIGHT NOT work out. or wait a few years for more advance treatment? Yeah... that's been the myth now for over 20 some odd years.

This was more of a general post for younger guys.

The to OP. If you shave your head and can live with it... then yeah probably your best bet. If you do end up deciding on a HT, please take everyones' words into consideration and do all the research you possibly can. This is not something to rush in to out of desparation.

Sorry for the long rant guys icon_cool.gif

Current Regimen:

.5mg Fin ED

Minox 2x daily

Nizoral 1% 2-3 times a week

Fish Oil capsules w/ Omega-3

I feel you should go ahead and get a transplant. But make sure you go only to a top quality coalition recommended doctor. College is a very important part of life and I feel you should take full advantage of it. I would suggest being conservative though and just doing the front for now and cotinue taking propecia for the crown.

Originally posted by baldboy123:

what is your opinion if I plan for the worst...meaning I get a very conservative ht (for my hairline) now planning that I will be completely bald in the future such as my father (which I can clearly see with my current state). Sure, I probably will be chasing the receding hairline behind my new hairline but I really can't wait 5-10 years for a ht. I am 20 and i look like I am 35. Extremely difficult to bear right now. And even by some chance, in 10-20 years if i dont become as bald as my father, then I could always go back thicken up the transplanted areas if i wanted to. Sure I will have many scars in the back of my head from multiple ht but I will always want hair so the scars will always be concealed. And also if i were to wait 5-10 years to get a ht, I would probably be needing mega ht that would probably leave me with multiple scars on the back of my head anyway. Any thoughts on this? I greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

first off, the "WORST" would be permanent shock loss, or a LOW yield HT.. these are not common among the better surgens in the field but it does still happen from time to time, even to them... as i told you earlier HTS ARE NOT PERFECT. they cannot deliver your hair back EXACTLY how it was prior to your hairloss. you very likely will have to"work with" you HT hair to make it look the best(for instance i CANNOT style my hair foward, the ONLY way it looks half decent is spiked up)

i get that this is difficult ESPECIALLY at your age.. many of us get exactly what your going through and most are STILL telling you that you had really think long and hard if you decide to go through with this.... THAT SHOULD TELL YOU SOMETHING MAN... your talking to people who were in your shoes and who made the decision your considering.. they either--A. had NO clue what they were TRULY in fore in terms of commitment, upkeep, and what TRULY can and more importantly CANNOT be achieved by HTS--or B. knew all of the risks, knew it would be a life long journey and went through with it anyway..... either way you need to understand what your commiting yourself to......

look, judging by your last couple sentences it seems to me that as of now you know very little about this procedure and how it works.. should you choose strip you will NOT recieve multiple scars after each procedure.. the doc removes the old scar along with the surrounding grafts, closes it up(just as he did with the original HT)resulting in ONE scar again... that said the more HTs you have the hardr it becomes to close off. as a result scar stretching is more likely. this means your scar will be more visible...........

please hear me when i say that should you end up like your father you WILL reguire a ATLEAST 9 thousand grafts, ESPECIALLY if you address the crown and the hairline... what happens when you loose the rest on top?? your DONOR area is NOT a resource you can just keep tapping into until you have moved enough to cover your entire balding area.. IT JUST DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY FOR 99% of us..... you have ONLY SO MANY grafts you can be able to pull and NO MATTER WHAT YOUR PLAN OF ATTACK IS (be it hairline only, or hairline+crown work in HT #1) you will ALWAYS posess a thin/balding area SOMEWHERE on your head with future loss looming and and donor hair thats harder and harder to get....

HTs are MOST successful MOST of the time on guys that..

A. are very bald(but NOT NW7) and UNDERSTAND they will NEVER have their hair back but with a few well planned HTs can frame their face improve their overall look. they WILL have thinning or bald crowns even after their hts.. PERIOD! and it is also in their best interest to stay on meds TOO, if for nothing else then to prolong their potential NW7 status..

B. guys with proven stabalized hairloss who take MEDS and have a family history that DOES NOT include anyone with the SEVERE BALDING YOUR FATHER HAS... even in these cases HTs are more risky simply because hairloss is so very unpredicable.....

YOU CURRENTLY FALL INTO NEITHER CATAGORY

this is a life changing decision man and guys your age are why i post.... not to tell you you should not get a HT but to tell you that a guy in your shoes has to be MORE careful then you even realize right now....

this whole post covers about 2% f the information needed before making this decision I PROMISE...

for this reason its my opinon that you atleast TRY the shaved look(pull out the clippers and go on a zero guard #1 guard at most)

and while you may hate it PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT NOT ONLY WILL YOU, AND OTHERS BECOME USED TO IT BUT MORE IMPOTANTLY WHILE YOU ARE "HATING" YOUR SHAVED LOOK KNOW THAT YOUR ONLY OTHER ALTERNATIVE IS A HAIRLOSS BATTLE THAT WILL LAST FOR YEARS AND YEARS.. A BATTLE THAT WILL AT TIMES BREAK YOU DOWN. A BATTLE THAT IN THE END YOUR NEVER REALLY WINNING FOR MORE THAT A COUPLE YEARS AT MOST.

hairloss is not easy for any of us.. but guys like myself not only have NOT beaten their hairloss but now have to worry what the future holds knowing we have scarred ourselves.. every day i think about my hair. i have not beaten shit. the only way i could is to say f**k it! and shave it all off.

BTW-- my first HT was at age 21. second was at age 22. im 25 now.... i know how YOU feel, i know how "SpaceBetween" feels too... your life is longer then just the "NOW" if its AT ALL POSSIBLE to make it through your youth WITHOUT a HT its your best option. I PROMISE... if your to young to see that, just as i was, and you "MUST" do this. then welcome aboard my friend and all the very best in this fight that is unique to most of us and ungodly difficult to ALL OF US YOUNG GUYS.... even after our HTs.

Lost My Swagger- What is your background of HT's? Did you go to a less than optimal doctor? You seem very against HT's altogether and I know you say you've had a bad experience yourself.

Current Regimen:

.5mg Fin ED

Minox 2x daily

space. i did not go to a "top doc" but i form my opinion based on MANY things outside my own experience. i can understand why you would not like what i have to say man..

i am NOT against HTs if the situation fits.. in my above post i metioned 2 senarios in which HTs can be most successful.... the OPs situation as well as MANY young guys like us, dont fall into either catagory and as a result, TOP DOCTOR OR NOT TOP DOCTOR they are in a loooooong fight..

you see spaceBetween, this is NOT about a quality surgens, this is about the limitations that exist NO MATTER WHO YOU CHOOSE, such as limited donor... jesus himself could do the procedure and when its all said and done 99% will NOT achieve full coverage at a decent density throughout, we will be thin or bald somewhere if he loses his top, which seems likely.... he should be aware of this.. maybe you should be too... space, ive not seen your current hair situation(sorry if you have pics posted and i missed them) so i cannot comment really on what i think. but i get the feeling even if i did you might not be opened to what i had to say anyway. no matter if it were true or not...

im not against HTs, but im very aware that they are NOT for every situation... and some patients who choose to go through with it lend themselves to more risks down the road.... it IS a very dangerous mentality to have when you ONLY care about your 20s because they are the "most important"... i thought that also. and honestly sometimes i still do.. but just because hairloss is harder to deal with for us young guys then it is for guys in their forties that does not automatically justify making a decision that WILL commit you for much of your "30s and 40s aswell"

spaceBetween, so you dont look good with the shaved look either, huh?? well then you too are likely about to be in a loooong fight with many ups and many downs... you too will prob find your self spending 20 to 40 thousand or more throughout the course of your life on your hair.. you too will likely be going in for HT #4 someday, just like our moderator who looks great BTW but will STILL have thinning in his crown EVEN AFTER nearly 10,000 grafts... a number NOT EVERYONE CAN EVEN REACH...

to me, "beating hairloss" is about living like you did prior to all this... a HT by a good doc can brobably improve your look and thats a great thing for a guy who is dying inside like you probably are, but dont think for a second that your HT will alow you to beat this and have hairloss leave your life.. if you have MPB then you have it, and nothing today will do anything but mask this fact, for how long varies from person to person.

BTW space.. had i gone to a "top doc" id HOPE to be another "thanatopsis awry"(maybe the best HT ive seen on a young guy) who looks fantastic...

but lets look a little deeper.....

does thana take meds and likely will for the LARGE majority of his life???? CHECK.

does thana have limited styling options?? CHECK.

will thana have to consider and likely undergo more HTs for the crown work if the meds effectiveness begins to fade?? CHECK

will he likly still be thin back there still?? CHECK.

is thana care free and does he not think about his hair any more?? i would bet his hair is still a concern for him and at time still consumes a large part of his time....

ALL THIS AFTER A SUCCESSFUL HT(which BTW is not a guarantee.

THE MOST UNDERSTATED WORDS YOU WILL EVER HEAR IN THIS BUSINESS ARE..."results MAY vary".....

that said for thana it was the right decision, for thana the risks were fewer then the rewards as he saw them. thana is, IMO the very best case scenario for a young guy who elects a HT. and his decision DID pay off. but lets keep in mind his frontal loss(where all graftsd were placed) was pretty severe, and lets keep in mind that his journy is likly not over... thana is smart enough to know this. its important that you all are too.... i was not, at the time of my decision

Lost- I completely understand what you are saying and I don't want you to think that I disagree with anything you say. I don't.

I have a thread about my situation further down on this forum.

I don't want to recite everything I have said in my post, but in short: I will never be a shaver. I've done it and it was terrible. I cannot get over this. I want my hairline restored conservatively to frame my face and save as much donor as possible for further loss. I will never have a full head of hair again. I know I will still have thin/bald spots after further loss. I don't think 20s are most important. I think my life as a whole is. My crown/top loss hasn't changed since I was 18 or 19. I'm confident in restoring hairline and down the road opting for further surgeries. It is worth it to me because this is my life. If it has completely devastated me, i refuse to just live with it.

We all have different views on the situationm but we all only get one go around.

Current Regimen:

.5mg Fin ED

Minox 2x daily